Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone on here actually had to "abandon ship" on a cruise?

In the light of the recent disaster, I'm wondering just how often the "abandon ship" order is given? Has anyone here actually had to put on their life jackets & go to the muster stations for a real emergency, did you have to "abandon ship"?
    Personally I'd rather get on a lifeboat & then return to the ship once the emergency is resolved than remain onboard until an evacuation becomes too difficult for the normal procedure to be used.
    My son is in product design & he says maybe more use could be made of a slide (similar to aircraft) to get to inflatable lifeboats (thrown into sea) if ships are listing too badly for the normal winching to operate.

Images
    My parents had to don life jackets twice.

Once was when there was a fire in the laundry room but they didn't abandon ship as the ship managed to sail to the Bahamas[I think] where passengers were disembarked and flown home.

That was preceded by the Sagafjord the previous year when the ship was disabled by a fire in the engine room. The ship had to be towed to the Philippines and again, passengers disembarked and were flown home.

Thanks to their experiences, I have always kept a few essentials to hand and they include my glasses and prescription sunglasses [I'm blind as a bat] and a very thin but extremely powerful torch. She recommended the clean underwear bit too.

My mother said everyone was very calm and there was little or no panic, on either occasion.

Images
    Yes.........................

Not on a cruise, but Ive lost track of the number of UK hotels Ive had to bale out of in the hours of darkness when the alarm has gone off, in only 1 case was it actually a real emergency.

never on land or sea

Images
    Yes on a Cabin Cruiser on the River Lot, there was a horrendous storm, which sadly killed many in a campsite within 50 miles of where we were.

We were woken at night, in the middle of the storm to find we were way above our mooring. Frantic shifting of ropes & all up night, no sleep, it was terrifying.

Come daybreak we were safe, but on flooded land, the River was horrendous and had flooded the Bridge ahead, whole trees were going past at a tremendous rate.

As ever there is an amusing tale to tell, the River Bailiff ( French equivalent) approached in his waist high waders and gave us a red card, which informed us not to try and rejoin the River!

When the river went down we evacuated the Boat and headed for a Hotel.

Terrifying, but we have been on the rivers of France many times since, fortunately we have not repeated such an experience.

Last edited by Lizzie, Lymington; 18th January 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: deleted repeated word
    Lizzie

Images
    Not abandon ship....

But I was woken at 3am and had to go to my muster station due to a ship fire. The lifeboats were lowered but thankfully not required !

Very nearly:
    Not a cruise ship but there were 12 passengers on board. Ship broke her back in very rough seas. Passengers were evacuated by helicopter but the crew stayed with the ship. The order to 'abandon ship' was nearly given, but a light was spotted on the horizon of a ship coming to our assistance. The ship survived and after extensive repairs carried on sailing for quite a few years.

Images
    My OH was once on a ship outside the docks when she started to list [cargo not loaded correctly he was working on her with other heavy lift men] he said it was terrifying, but had been assured by an older man who knew the geography of the roads[ he had worked on the docks bolser for years] he assured him they were almost on a sandbank, which proved to be right, but it gave him a nasty fright.CG

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    My OH was once on a ship outside the docks when she started to list [cargo not loaded correctly he was working on her with other heavy lift men] he said it was terrifying, but had been assured by an older man who knew the geography of the roads[ he had worked on the docks bolser for years] he assured him they were almost on a sandbank, which proved to be right, but it gave him a nasty fright.CG
    Accidents will happen,I remember many moons ago a canadian pacific pass ship,"empress of something caughr fire in liverpool ,hundreds of firefighters were there just pumping water into her (this was before the days of ships officers and the fire brigade working together re stability) the ship filled up and turned over,
    it was well over 30 years ago when i did my marine fire fighting course up at Speke airport and then fire brigades started to do trips on our ferries during quiet periods and practiced their skills in confined spaces.
    jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast