Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Images
    According to Wikipedia 'Herald of Free Enterprise' was a Townsend Thoresen ship..Carol

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    According to Wikipedia 'Herald of Free Enterprise' was a Townsend Thoresen ship..Carol
    The company or at least the ships were rebranded P&O ferries after the disaster I think, so effectively then same company. Although perhaps they just purchased the ships from them?

Last edited by Royston1, Royston1; 15th January 2012 at 02:16 PM.

We have cruised several times. I have for some time been surprised to learn that most cruise ships only draw 28 or 29ft of water. . Modern ships have up to 12 decks above the water line.The Costa incident was fortunate in that the weather was fine and sea calm. It was near land and I assume that it is " resting on the bottom? " What if the accident had occurred in deep water nowhere near land and in lower temperatures. Could the vessel have turned upside down?
    Can someone with experience and knowledge of naval architecture tell us what safety levels are built into these modern ships?

Images
    Hi Carol,

You are right, but Townsend Thoresen operated under the banner of European Ferries Group Plc & P&O took over in 1987, not sure which month though.

Lizzie

"All those Italians"!! How derogatory. The Italians happen to have some of the classiest ships and the best food, fantastic culture, beautiful cities - need I go on?

...what about the ladies!!

As usual, costa gets slated

Last edited by gregwallasey, wallasey; 15th January 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Images
    We have cruised several times. I have for some time been surprised to learn that most cruise ships only draw 28 or 29ft of water. . Modern ships have up to 12 decks above the water line.The Costa incident was fortunate in that the weather was fine and sea calm. It was near land and I assume that it is " resting on the bottom? " What if the accident had occurred in deep water nowhere near land and in lower temperatures. Could the vessel have turned upside down?
    Can someone with experience and knowledge of naval architecture tell us what safety levels are built into these modern ships?
    Hi John.
    I have no knowledge or experience in naval architecture, but in deep water there would have been no rocks.But still incidents occur.
    Mainly due to bad weather. We were only on a small ship 'Black Prince' when we hit problems.
    I was ridiculed on the forum when I said about the incident. But fortunately I had proof via the cruise log.
    Going back to your question... the new cruise ships are many decks higher and I truly dont know if they could withstand listing up to 32% either side. Yes, the engines were only switched off for 36 mins. But like you I would love to know if some of the BIG ones could cope.

*Carol M*

"All those Italians"!! How derogatory. The Italians happen to have some of the classiest ships and the best food, fantastic culture, beautiful cities - need I go on?
    Hi Mazza,

Bit tongue in cheek I am afraid, as at the moment I am a Costa cruise line lover who often gets slated for supporting Costa on this forum, it would certainly give those stuck in the mud other line cruisers something to think about if Costa's passengers switched to P&O. not only the Italians, but all the other Nationalities as well.

Like you think their ships are fabulous and we are embarking on our 18th with them in six weeks.

Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Indeed and beautiful ladies and handsome men!

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast