Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    On our cruise it was very noticeable that while the ladies made the effort, many of the men did not.
    Agreed - we've noticed that too. I Have to feel sorry for the ladies whose partners won't respect them enough (let alone anyone else) to put on a suit for a few hours.

We're reasonably regular cruisers and quite like the odd formal evening, but not just dressing up and parading around and taking the standard photo-shoot. But this seems to be the way these days - nothing special. We even had our captain - on Princess - asking everyone to be dressed to the nines - but very few bothered. This seems to be the way with most 'non-luxury' class lines these days - so why bother trying to create an impression of something they can't/wont produce?
    I fear there is a certain amount of truth in what you say. There is a decline in passengers accepting formal dress as the done thing. I can see that there could be a move by certain cruise lines or maybe just ships, to move to the more casual evening dress. All sorts of tradition cruising things are gradually changing and I could be that this will be accelerating in the future.

Nevertheless, there will be cruise lines which will stick with Formal Nights and maybe even have more than they currently do.

Just one small point Smart Casual is not necessarily the domain of the "non-luxury" cruise lines; my favourite cruise line, Azamara, is smart casual each and every night for example and it wouldn't surprise me if other luxury lines tread this path soon.

The other thing that I find unusual is when people opt not to use the MDR in favour of a cafeteria. I know it takes all sorts and I wouldnt dream of criticising but for me the MDR is such a delight that I would go out of my way to go there. ....Neil

We like formal nights ,also informal too,it's the only time that we wear our gladrags now,going on holiday in 3 week time(not cruise,cruising later)and will dine causal for two weeks ,open neck shirt and flannels.
    On cruise i (and better half)will dress up and enjoy it.

~ The other thing that I find unusual is when people opt not to use the MDR in favour of a cafeteria. I know it takes all sorts and I wouldnt dream of criticising but for me the MDR is such a delight that I would go out of my way to go there. ....Neil
    I imagine you don't conside a meal in McDonald's to be dining out then...

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

I fear there is a certain amount of truth in what you say. There is a decline in passengers accepting formal dress as the done thing. I can see that there could be a move by certain cruise lines or maybe just ships, to move to the more casual evening dress. All sorts of tradition cruising things are gradually changing and I could be that this will be accelerating in the future.

Nevertheless, there will be cruise lines which will stick with Formal Nights and maybe even have more than they currently do.

Just one small point Smart Casual is not necessarily the domain of the "non-luxury" cruise lines; my favourite cruise line, Azamara, is smart casual each and every night for example and it wouldn't surprise me if other luxury lines tread this path soon.

The other thing that I find unusual is when people opt not to use the MDR in favour of a cafeteria. I know it takes all sorts and I wouldnt dream of criticising but for me the MDR is such a delight that I would go out of my way to go there. ....Neil
    It just shows how difficult it is to please everyone. I'm a lover of formal nights and take a different long gown for each formal night of the cruise, as well as enough other 'smart' outfits for each of the smart casual nights (my husband is very forbearing!) However, I like casual nights too because I translate them as 'party' nights where anything goes (within reason of course!) - i.e. a time when I can wear something a bit more fun, more outlandish maybe. For example, I may wear a Country and Western outfit if the theme of the night was right and it was a casual night. or even bellbottom jeans for a 70's night. I guess that means that I don't fit the 'old school' cruising model but I certainly would not be interested to go on a 'cruise for people who don't do cruises'. Just a mixed up kid (I wish!) I suppose.

On the subject of the MDR, I agree that it is all part and parcel of cruising, however, I must confess that we usually end up eating elsewhere (or not eating a 'proper meal' at all) once or twice during a cruise. This is simply for a change of scene or because we've left ourselves insufficient time to get ourselves to somewhere we want to be (invariably my fault!). We mostly eat in the MDR and ALWAYS on formal nights.

Images
    Certainly seem to be dying on cruises out of the US. We were on Celebrity Millennium a few weeks ago, and saw a handfull of men wearing black tie on formal nights. Most men wore lounge suits, but a sizeable minority did not even make the grade for smart casual.
    Lounge suits are acceptable attire for Formal night per the cruise line and coupled with a good shirt and tie can look very smart.

Examples of "Formal" attire include:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 4th July 2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Rob
    Next Cruise:> QM2 2015 / My Blog robbarcruises.com

we are booked on ruby princess on 27 july for 12 nights do they still do formal or should i say do passengers adher to it it is our first time on princess ,done p&o and it is great on formal nights any info on this please.

Images

I'm pleased to hear that Neil and would you consider of the numerous Speciality restaurents on a ship that one might choose to go to some nights instead of the MDR as a 'cafeteria'? Think not..

We enjoy formal nights but as you say I'm now seeing 5 & 6 star cruise lines moving to Smart Casual' which I guess is more of a market trend to get in new passengers. I've also read articles of experienced cruisers on these ships who say they want to totally relax and they enjoy this change but to accomodate they sometimes open up a smaller dining room for those who wish Formal night.
    In future , one will not only be looking at prices , destinations , type of passenger mix but also do they offer Formal Nights.

Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 4th July 2011 at 09:15 PM.
    Rob

Images
    we are booked on ruby princess on 27 july for 12 nights do they still do formal or should i say do passengers adher to it it is our first time on princess ,done p&o and it is great on formal nights any info on this please.
    Princess does do Formal nights and bases the number based on your trip duration. In your case it will be at least two nights per the web site.
    Just like many large lines , the majority of passengers will adhere with the minor exceptions though a lot of the fashion police on these boards might not think one has adhered to a set style.
    If you follow the cruise lines recommeded attire guidelines , you will be quite fine and no one has the right to complain. It is your cruise also , do enjoy

Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 4th July 2011 at 09:14 PM.
    Rob

We sailed on Independence of the Seas and went informal the whole cruise, never once going to the main dining hall for a meal so it was easy to make yourself scarce on the formal nights.
    Why do most people have this misconception that the Dress Code ONLY APPLIES TO THE MAIN DINING ROOM? It does not - it applies to the whole ship. I consider it inappropriate if I have made an effort to dress up and then go to a bar for an after dinner drink to end up sitting next to someone in Shorts TShirt and Sandals. It spoils the whole ambiance of the ship and the evening.

As a comparison its no different to me making a complete fool out of myself by turning up at MacDonalds in a full blown Evening gown. Meaning Dress appropriate to the event/venue. When and if I visit MacDonalds it will be in my ordinary gear.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast