Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Carnival Brand.

Hi BobTroll, interesting read, how would I get my Cunard points transferred to my PO loyalty card, is that allowed? CG
    P & O Cruises came into existence as the passenger division of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company which, by the 1960s, had become the largest shipping operator in the world.

Peninsular and Oriental purchased Princess Cruises in 1974. Other acquisitions and diversifications have included Sitmar (an Italian line), Swan Hellenic, and Ocean Village. Sitmar became part of Princess, Swan Hellenic is no longer part of the group and Ocean Village will cease operations in October 2010.

In October 2000, Peninsular and Oriental floated the cruise division as a separate company, P & O Princess Cruises plc - which merged with the American Carnival Corporation in 2003.

The Princess Captain's Circle has always recognised voyages on the 'sister lines' and as far as I am aware, recognition is retrospective. Conversely, once a passenger has completed one cruise on a P & O ship, subsequent cruises on any of the 'sister' brands will count towards the passenger's P & O Portunus Club membership tier.

Although Carnival also owns the Aida, Cunard, Carnival, Costa cruises, Holland America, P & O Australia, and Yachts of Seabourne brands, these cruise lines were not part of the original P & O Princess Group of companies. Consequently, voyages on Cunard and other Carnival brands do not count towards the P&O Portunus Club or the Princess Captain's Circle.

However, there is one other benefit that is worth consideration (but only if the price is right). A individual who owns a minimum of 100 ordinary shares in Carnival plc (or Carnival Corporation) can claim on-board credit on any cruise brand that is owned by Carnival. A 14-day voyage on Princess or Cunard will qualify for on-board credit of US$250 . The credit for a 14-day cruise on P&O is worth 125. The on-board credit can be a valuable benefit for frequent cruisers and this year, I have claimed 175 on P&O and $250 on Princess.

Last edited by BobTroll, Leicester; 27th September 2010 at 10:18 AM.

They do, BUT.....they split their companies into sub groups, covering the market ie maybe one traditional, one free style and one top end company. You only get credit for voyages within the subgroup, not the whole of Carnival, which is what I suggested in my last paragraph of my first post on the topic.

Images
    P & O Cruises came into existence as the passenger division of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company which, by the 1960s, had become the largest shipping operator in the world.

Peninsular and Oriental purchased Princess Cruises in 1974. Other acquisitions and diversifications have included Sitmar (an Italian line), Swan Hellenic, and Ocean Village. Sitmar became part of Princess, Swan Hellenic is no longer part of the group and Ocean Village will cease operations in October 2010.

In October 2000, Peninsular and Oriental floated the cruise division as a separate company, P & O Princess Cruises plc - which merged with the American Carnival Corporation in 2003.

The Princess Captain's Circle has always recognised voyages on the 'sister lines' and as far as I am aware, recognition is retrospective. Conversely, once a passenger has completed one cruise on a P & O ship, subsequent cruises on any of the 'sister' brands will count towards the passenger's P & O Portunus Club membership tier.

Although Carnival also owns the Aida, Cunard, Carnival, Costa cruises, Holland America, P & O Australia, and Yachts of Seabourne brands, these cruise lines were not part of the original P & O Princess Group of companies. Consequently, voyages on Cunard and other Carnival brands do not count towards the P&O Portunus Club or the Princess Captain's Circle.

However, there is one other benefit that is worth consideration (but only if the price is right). A individual who owns a minimum of 100 ordinary shares in Carnival plc (or Carnival Corporation) can claim on-board credit on any cruise brand that is owned by Carnival. A 14-day voyage on Princess or Cunard will qualify for on-board credit of US$250 . The credit for a 14-day cruise on P&O is worth 125. The on-board credit can be a valuable benefit for frequent cruisers and this year, I have claimed 175 on P&O and $250 on Princess.
    Interesting and knowledgeable post Bob. I benefit from both Cunard and P&O's loyalty schemes ( Platinim and Gold respectively).

I take the view though that I would not like to see cross benefits. Though both the Cunard World Club and P&O's Portunus Club offer good schemes and benefits, I do feel the 'ethos' of each scheme are quite separate and would not benefit from such expansion.

Images
    I thought Carnival owned PO along with HAL, Princess and Costa?CG
    Cornish Girl,
    Correct ...
    Carnival Corporation | Home
    Here are the cruiselines they own including P&O in UK and Australia.

" Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and The Yachts of Seabourn in North America;
    /and / P&O Cruises, Cunard Line and Ocean Village in the United Kingdom;
    /and/ AIDA in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain;
    and P&O Cruises in Australia.

These brands, which comprise the most recognized cruise brands in North America, the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, offer a wide range of holiday and vacation products to a customer base that is broadly varied in terms of cultures, languages and leisure-time preferences. We also own a tour company that complements our cruise operations: Holland America Princess Alaska Tours in Alaska and the Canadian Yukon. Combined, our vacation companies attract 8.5 million guests annually. "

"Carnival Corporation and Carnival plc operate under a dual listed company structure with primary stock listings in the United States and the United Kingdom"

"Headquartered in Miami, Florida, U.S.A. and London, England, Carnival operates a fleet of 97 ships, with another 10 ships scheduled for delivery between now and May 2014. With approximately 200,000 guests and 70,000 shipboard employees, there are more than 270,000 people sailing aboard the Carnival fleet at any given time."

Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 27th September 2010 at 06:06 PM.
    Rob
    Next Cruise:> QM2 2015 / My Blog robbarcruises.com

Hi Bob,
    Back in the 1960's there was always a disagreement about which was the largest shipping operator. Both P & O and British and Commonwealth claimed to be the larger. B & C was the holding company of the original Cayzer family conglomerate (their original line was the Clan Line) and I think that in the 1960's Bernard Cayzer was the head.

They owned a number of large well known shipping lines and the argument over who was larger occurred when they merged with Union Castle in 1956. They were linked with the Ellerman Line, Safmarine, City Line, Bullard King and a number of other lines. Having originated in Scotland they also owned British Caledonian Airways.

There was so much movement of ships between different companies that the argument was never settled.

Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. ;)

I've managed to get to the GOLD card on MSC (they've just introduced the BLACK one, well on the way to getting that one) and the perks are starting to be worth having.. One of the main reasons for going with MSC is we are stuck with school holidays and their pricing at these times is very good.
    We managed to combine the 2nd passenger for 1 with the 10% discount from the GOLD card and get the cruise for 0.90 for my OH( total overall cost 45% of brochure price + 0.90). The other driver for MSC is the itineries and their fabulous ships.
    Last time we cruised with them we had a small issue and the matter was quickly resolved by the Chief Purser personally as it was his job to ensure that MSC club members were happy. So far we have had great cruises with MSC just hope 4 weeks time is great again.
    We have also cruised with Carnival, RCI, the now defunct Airtours and are booked on P'n'O next May and NCL next April so we do spread our favours around the various cruise lines.

Pete

I'll put on my tin hat as I expect some flack from the anti-MSC brigade
    Be honest food on msc cannot compare with any other cruise ships,cheap tough cuts of meat,never any spectacular menus,and worst the food is never served hot enough,the ships are very clean,bar prices well,so exspensive,and they even try to charge you service charge,per day,that would be taking the mick,so yes get your tin hat on

Images
    Be honest food on msc cannot compare with any other cruise ships,cheap tough cuts of meat,never any spectacular menus,and worst the food is never served hot enough,the ships are very clean,bar prices well,so exspensive,and they even try to charge you service charge,per day,that would be taking the mick,so yes get your tin hat on
    I'll agree that the food is only good not excellent ( i've always maintained that in my reviews) but I've never had problems with it not being hot enough. I don't drink very much so bar prices are not a major issue for me and as for service charges that's dealt with ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.

Price (and itinery) for me is a major issue, as our MSC cruises tend to be our tertiary holiday just to avoid the British weather in Oct half term, and so far with the help of the loyalty card and special promotions, have been very pleased with what I have paid. As we DIY most ports, on board costs are kept to a very resonable level. We spend an awful lot more on our other major event cruise earlier in the year.

So I think I'm getting a holiday on MSC that is good value for the money we pay.

Pete

Tin hat firmly in place.

Pete

If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

We are Elite members of Captains club with Celebrity Cruises and Platinum with sister company RCI - have had both good and poor benefits as a result. We just prefer Celebrity or RCI as cruiselines and if we receive the odd freebie or benefit as a result of being members of Loyalty programmes than that is a bonus.

Last edited by Eddie, Kilmarnock; 27th September 2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Good value for money? I'll say!!!!!! My 18 DAY trip around the west coat of Africa from Capetown (including 1 night in Capetown), with a great itinary. for the actual cruise is costing me. with single supplement, 652. OK , so the air fares takes it to 1200 but for 19 days? That's a good price in anyone's book. Last time I was on MSC, I had booked the same cruise, but it was cancelled due to the ship breaking down and was transferred to the Sinfonia and ended up in Rio. That was 21 days, I was upgraded, got 2 free extra nights in Rio and flew BA both ways. That was 1400. The food as I remember was at worst edible, but at best wonderful and some of those Italian sweets and ice creams - oh boy!!!!. There was never a time that it was not possbile to satisfy my hunger. I have also done 1 Costa cruise. I have a note in my little book about the food on that line - it reads buys some biscuits if saling with them again!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234