Images

Cruise.co.uk's / Victoria Travel's 25th anniversary in the travel industry!

This August Victoria Travel/Cruise.co.uk is pleased and very proud to celebrate 25 years in the travel business and what a 25 years it has been! We have had some amazing experiences, travelled across the world and seen some fabulous places but perhaps more importantly we have met some lovely people and made some great friends. We have also seen some incredible changes in the travel industry and remember well the early days when we had to communicate overseas by telex, write out manual air tickets, spend all day on the phone to operators (some things dont change!) and spend all night doing paperwork. There were no faxes, no mobile phones, no low cost airlines and perhaps more amazingly there was no internet. We have enjoyed successful and not so successful times and survived recessions, booms, wars and natural disasters and want to say a big thank you to everyone who has worked with us and all our suppliers who have supported us .

So when Mary and I realised we were about to reach this milestone in our company we thought long and hard about how to celebrate this achievement and what it means to us.
    Do we organise a big party? Do we take a special holiday? We started to appreciate just how lucky we have been both over the past 25 years and in life not only for all our wonderful experiences but also for the fact that we and our family have been lucky enough to enjoy good health. The frightening statistics show that 1 in 3 of us will suffer from cancer at some stage in their life, we normally assume this will be in later life but cancer has no age limits and can strike at any age. This fact was brought home to us recently when our good friend and travel colleague Clive Howard lost his 31 year old son Dan to cancer after a 4 year struggle against this terrible disease. None of can imagine the dismay confusion and trauma Dan and his family went through during his illness but Clive told us of how they couldnt have coped with such a difficult time in their lives without the incredible support of the Macmillan Cancer Support nurses. Not only did they help Dan come to terms with his illness and help him to live with cancer they were present day and night to help care for him in his final weeks. It was therefore an easy decision for Mary and I to make that we wanted to celebrate our 25 years by trying to make a difference and raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support which is totally dependant on donations and completely outside the NHS.

Having travelled to Africa many times and fallen in love with the continent we have gazed many times at the snow capped Mount Kilimanjaro and hoped one day to climb to the peak. This therefore seems like the ideal time and we have signed up to a Macmillan Cancer Support Charity climb leaving on 2nd October 2009 . Gary Barlow and Cheryl Cole we may not be but we are determined to meet this tough mental and physical challenge which is nothing compared to the challenges faced every day by cancer sufferers and their families. So this is where you come in. We are asking everyone who knows us (and those who dont) to donate/sponsor us in this challenge and help as much money as we can for this worthwhile charity. No donation from you is too big or too small and donating is easy - just click on www.justgiving.com/andrewandmarykilimanjaro. Mary and I are covering all the costs of this trip so all monies raised goes to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Please please give as much as you can and help us celebrate our 25th Annivesary by helping to make a real difference.. 20,000 would be fantastic. None of us know what is around the corner in life or when we, our family or friends may need the help and support of Macmillan Cancer Support !!

I wish you every success with your climb, please take a moment to look at this you tube video. A fit healthy young man need not have died climbing Kilimajaro had he been more aware of the symptoms he was suffering. This is not meant to alarm you but just to help his widow raise awareness of HAPE and HACE.

Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1-jP_Oe8E

My 37 year old husband, Jason, died while climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa. Jason and his mother were doing this trek together. She summitted, Jason died. I created this video and dedicated it to the Mesa County Sheriff's Department for the amazing support they have given me and my family over the last almost year and a half. I am so incredibly proud of the work that Jason did and that his coworkers continue to do. They put their lives on the line each and every day just to make ours a little safer. I've always known that Jason's job was high risk but I also knew that he did everything in his power to keep himself and the people he worked with safe. Safety was always his priority. As Garth Brook states in his lyrics "Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I'd of had to miss the dance", I made the decision to marry Jason even though I knew he 'took a chance' every day he was at work. The fact that he died while on a vacation from his risky job is appalling. I am certain, however, and am sure that everyone who knew Jason knows that he took each and every precaution that he had control of to keep himself and everyone else safe. His death was obviously out of his control. Jason died from High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) and High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) while doing the Real Kilimanjaro trek with travel company Geographic Expeditions Inc. (GeoEx). We have a now 4 year old child, Nicholas. I hope people will see this video and if planning on going on an adventure expedition to be extra, extra cautious and understand that it is possible to die even if you are healthy. Our mission is to inform people about the risks associated with "adventure travels" and to educate themselves on what they need to know before going so that they can help themselves rather than relying on the "experts". I cannot describe how incredibly devastating it is to lose my husband, best friend, coparent, etc. and of course father of my only child. We know that Mt. Kilimanjaro has a guardian angel watching over it, but it may not be enough. PLEASE feel free to ask us ANY questions before deciding to undertake an endeavor like this one. Please see www.jasonlhotka.com

Sorry but this site does not exist?

[QUOTE=Cruise Addict, Wolverhampton;5297] No donation from you is too big or too small and donating is easy - just click on www.justgiving.com/andrewandmarykilimanjaro. QUOTE]

Hi Andrew and Mary,

I wish you well with this venture, I think you are very brave. I tried to follow up by going to www.justgiving.com/andrewandmarykilimanjaro. But it just tells me that " Were very sorry - the page /UrlRewrite/default.aspx/andrewandmarykilimanjaro. doesnt exist."

Maybe I am doing something wrong, it has been known, or maybe you can suggest an alternative.

Kind Regards Neil and Ida (D & J)

Images
    Yepp! I got to the main page, just giving, but could no way find the andrewandmary page!

Wilba

I got it

When you copy and paste - dont include the full stop at the end. I got to the page no problem at all!

I wish you a fantastic journey, and a safe one, you are helping a very undervalued charity, Unfortunately My father died in a Macmillan Center in Torquay many many years ago, If nobody has seen these Centers they are just fantastic and can give a patient more time and care than a hospital ever can,When you walk in these centers you can feel the calmness and serinty and you know the patient is in good hands. The staff are angels in disguise and I will never ever forget them..So good luck and you are supporting a great charity.

Thanks

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    When you copy and paste - dont include the full stop at the end. I got to the page no problem at all!
    Ahhh! Beauty and wisdom a rare and enjoyable combination. ......Neil

Ahhh! Beauty and wisdom a rare and enjoyable combination. ......Neil
    Told you I wasnt just a pretty face:p

Images
    When you copy and paste - dont include the full stop at the end.
    I got to the page no problem at all!
    URLs never end with a full stop.

They end either with nothing -or with a slash,maybe /
    but not with a full stop.

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Images

The Link

www.justgiving.com/andrewandmarykilimanjaro/