Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

cruise.co.uk on Facebook

I had this flop into the inbox yesterday, just posting so that there is a central place for comments and feedback
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please come and check out the Facebook of cruising from Cruises.co.uk. You can find all the latest cruising News & Events from the main cruise lines and cruise experts with over 50 different cruise blogs all coming in to the Cruises.co.uk facebook page.

Look out for latest cruise news from:

USA Today Cruise Log
    The Telegraph Cruise News
    Malcolm Oliver Cruise Blog
    P&O Cruises Official Blog
    TTG Live
    Jane Archer Travel Writer
    Cunard Cruises Official Blog
    ShipCritic Blog
    And Many More...

Become a fan today to join in the cruising discussions or add your comments to what's happening in the cruising world.

View Cruises.co.uk on Facebook Now

Last edited by Grant, West Sussex; 24th March 2010 at 07:11 AM.

Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: *new* cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Queen Mary 2 Jun14
    Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Images
    As a Social Media advocate at work and home; some very quick initial feedback, and you may have seen some comments on Facebook. Essentially a Page has been created with lots of RSS feeds to various blogs. The trouble with this automated approach is that it publishes EVERYTHING, so when I look at Facebook this morning nearly 50% of the updates are cruise.co.uk updates and it's overkill.

I just counted 20 updates in 12 hours, all of them posted onto people's 'walls' as a default of when someone becomes a fan. These are not one line updates but each entry has title, a preview couple of lineand a paragraph with each update so I am now trying to find other updates in a sea of cruise.co.uk automated content. I think Twitter is the place for this kind of frequent update (and I'm a follower of you there).

Two options;
    1) Review the Social Media approach here, Some quality / editorial filter about what gets published via Facebook versus Twitter. The current 'shotgun' approach on Facebook could end up irritating rather than engaging.
    2) We just press the Hide button to prevent the sheer quantity of updates being published. This kind of goes against the whole idea of being a fan......

Last edited by Grant, West Sussex; 24th March 2010 at 07:13 AM.

Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway

Images
    Gave up on Facebook because of this kind of thing ~ now check it very infrequently, maybe once every 3/4 months. It was interesting in the begining but after a while I lost interest because I don't want to know the minutae of every persons "crappy" lives ~ mines bad enough, I don't need to know that some one is having meatballs for tea!

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Gave up on Facebook because of this kind of thing ~ now check it very infrequently, maybe once every 3/4 months. It was interesting in the begining but after a while I lost interest because I don't want to know the minutae of every persons "crappy" lives ~ mines bad enough, I don't need to know that some one is having meatballs for tea!
    Hi Shelley, I fully understand that perspective. Personally it's quite an amazing time to be living through. It's the '2nd wave' of the internet and sure there is a wall of detail of that, and as you highlight some may be irrelevant, but what staggers me is how our children have engaged with this technology way beyond what we had growing up. Also the real time nature of the communication and how much companies are using this with metrics / clouds to gain real time user opinion and trending.

Oh heck look I've gone into presenter mode!! I'll shurrup and get back on topic......

:-)

Images
    Not for me I'm afraid, registered last night, spent nearly two hours trawling around the walls, found it to be quite interesting to start with as it was new to me, but became somewhat bored after a while. Dont think I will be a regular visitor to this site.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cruisings Cool

Hi Shelley, I fully understand that perspective. Personally it's quite an amazing time to be living through. It's the '2nd wave' of the internet and sure there is a wall of detail of that, and as you highlight some may be irrelevant, but what staggers me is how our children have engaged with this technology way beyond what we had growing up. Also the real time nature of the communication and how much companies are using this with metrics / clouds to gain real time user opinion and trending.

Oh heck look I've gone into presenter mode!! I'll shurrup and get back on topic......

Grant, you've made me think back 50 years and realise just some of the things that would not have happened then.

Today, I had a shower and used an electric toothbrush. After breakfast, I watched the Test Match live from Bangladesh. I am now using my computor to chat with people I have never met and have sent emails to my friends - one to the USA. A few days ago, I saw and talked to friends in Australia for no cost using SKYPE. I will shortly go out in my car (every adult in my immediate family owns one - not unusual). I am looking forward to my cruise holiday and worrying about the flight because of the BA strike.

I could go on and on. Technology does so much for us nowadays and just goes on and on.

Images

I know where you're coming from about the children ~ mine both have e-mail, access the internet on various devices, use it regularly for homework and my son can even submit essays by e-mail!

When I was at school I was in the last wave of GCSEers who weren't allowed to submit word proccesed essays.

The children use hotmail to send and store pictures to their grandparents and other family and I regularly use messenger to talk to my sister-in-law in New Zealand.

I think it's just Facebook that I have a problem with and sheer volume of information ~ trying to find the relevant information with out filters can be challenging to say the least

I will however concede that it was a fantastic marketing tool whilst we had the restaurant & the pub ~ it allowed me to target offers to certain groups, advertise events without charge & attract new customers.

Twitter was also really useful when used in conjunction ~ when someones birthday was shown on Facebook I could twitter them an exclusive offer i.e. bring this message on your phone and receive a free drink, bring four friends for a meal and receive free desserts that kind of thing & again it brought in extra business at no or very little cost!:D

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

As I always used to say to the kids at my school when they complained to me that their 'friends' were being beastly to them on various social networking sites, 'You don't HAVE to use them, you know - it's not compulsory'. I think these days many people feel they're either missing out by not using Facebook, etc or somehow Luddite for not wanting to use them.

Images
    I was on Facebook at one time but found it pretty boring so took myself off. I spend enough time on this site without being addicted any further. What can I learn on Facebook about cruising that I can't learn on here?
    My adult kids spend half their lives on Facebook and their Blackberries. When I'm not on here, I've got other things that I would rather be doing-call it an age thing, if you like.

Jill

I was on Facebook at one time but found it pretty boring so took myself off. I spend enough time on this site without being addicted any further. What can I learn on Facebook about cruising that I can't learn on here?
    My adult kids spend half their lives on Facebook and their Blackberries. When I'm not on here, I've got other things that I would rather be doing-call it an age thing, if you like.

Jill
    Too right - I couldn't agree more. If Facebook is someone's 'thing', good for them, I'm pleased they enjoy it. But there are only so many hours in a day and I'm happy with the sites I use.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast