Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Surely it's all a matter of personal choice. We always request a table of 8 and so far in 9 cruises we have been lucky. We love the social aspect of dining on a large table and getting to know the other people. We like hearing about what everyone has done during the day and about the excursions they have been on. We are still in touch with several of the tablemates we have met on various cruises. For us, it's an important part of the cruise so we would never ask for a table for 2, nor would we want Freedom or Anytime dining.

However, some people prefer to dine on their own on a table for 2 and that's up to them. Some of the tables for two though seem to be very near the next table for two so it's almost like being on a table of 4!

Carole

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    I have the same problem with a table for two :D shared for thirty years now!
    Oh Spartan I hope your other half does not read your quotes ;)

Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 1st November 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Sad!

I agree entirely, my wife and i cruised this year for the first time on Grand Princess and we had no difficuilty in getting a table for two. Why should you have to sit with some boring person, thats done 20 or so cruises and knows everything about everything, and from day one tries to organise your cruise for you. I'm sure wev'eall met people like this.
    I feel very sad you feel like that. I've never met anybody like the bore you describe and if I did I'd speak to the Maitre d' so I could move table We had to move this summer but only because the lovely couple we shared a table with could speak so little English and luckily we ended up on a lively table. We actually look forward to meeting people on board and yes, there will be people with whom we really hit if off amd others we don't have much in common with - other than the fact we're on the cruise together - and that's part of life's rich tapestry Unlike another poster, we like to do our own thing during the day especially avoiding the mdr at breakfast when I am definitely at my least sociable and I wouldn't inflict myself on anybody

I totally agree with your comments. We were on a table for 10 on the QM2 - americans and english mix. It was great fun. Holidays are always a good thing to talk about as it automatically puts people in a good mood.

Images

Thumbs up exercise

Oh Spartin I hope your other half does not read your quotes ;)
    Only when she needs exercise thats why I have so many bruises and she is really fit :D

Up to now, I've only sailed NCL and it's Freestyle Dining there. Next month we're going on MSC Splendida but as we'll be a group of 6 I don't know if we'll still have to share.
    I quite enjoy meeting new people, and if someone talks to me in a waiting room , for example, have no problem in chatting. However, for some people dining with strangers is unappealing.
    As regards asking for a change of table. A couple did that, and their new table with pleasant folk was next to their old one. So they had to endure dinner with their previous companions glaring at them.

On our last cruise with Celebrity we asked for a table for eight but were placed on a table for six. The problem was that the other four people were Mum, Dad, daughter and her husband. Although they were very nice and tried to include us, because they were quite outgoing we felt as though we were intruding and inhibiting their conversation; also my husband is hard of hearing and found it difficult. We changed tables, explaining the reasons to them so there wouldn't be awkwardness if we met. We were efficiently placed on another table for six (the restuarant manager gave us several options) with two Scots and two Belgians who were great company. Having said that I quite like the option of 'my time dining' whereby you can dine on different large tables each evening at a time that suits so that you will meet a wider variety of guests.

All these 'problems' can be compounded if you are travelling on your own and on the solo forums dining and what to do about it is one of the most popular subjects.

I will talk to anyone about anything (usually a lot of drivel) but some people don't want to talk to strangers which is fine by me.

The secret of good dining for us sad types is.

1. Allocated dining is OK if on a large table, plus you did not ask to sit there.

2. Open dining OK if you ask for a large table, again you can blame the Matre D'.

In both cases if others don't like it they can always ask to be moved!

dinkydoo2002

My wife and I much prefer to have a table for two. That way we can fully concentrate on enjoying our food without the need to pay attention to what other cruisers are talking about. We have regularly witnessed the "cruise bore" dominate table conversation and have witnessed the faraway
    "wish he would just go" looks in people's eyes.
    I don't knock those who DO prefer to dine on mixed muti-group tables but I feel strongly that if wou wish to dine "a deux" the you should be able to do so and not feel guilty about it.

Only when she needs exercise thats why I have so many bruises and she is really fit :D
    Well Spartan, I hope we meet somebody like you on our table in May cos I just luv your sense of humour and can imagine never a dull moment :D:D

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast