newly bereaved solo traveller

In the past my husband have enjoyed cruising but sadly last year he developed a terminal illness and passed away at the beginning of this month. Whilst I am not yet ready to be thinking of holidays I do know that travelling to hotels has the potential for me not to speak to anyone except the staff so think cruising again might be the answer. I am not keen on the idea of sharing a stateroom nor would I want an inside cabin does this mean I could pay up to 100% single supplement?

It can be up to 100% but there are offers around for considerably less. Just keep your eyes open.
    An example would be this one where the supplement is 25%
    http://www.cruises.co.uk/835-singles...s_azamara.html
    P&O are very good for solo travellers in that they have a daily solos meeting over a cup of coffee so you can get to chat to other solo passengers. Useful for getting a group together for sharing a taxi ashore.
    Brian

Hi I am sorry to hear about your loss. On the subject of single supplement, most cruiselines do charge an excess for the solo passenger. NCL's Epic has a large number of studio cabins (small) which carry no supplement. P&O, Fred Olsen and Saga all have cabins for singles but still add normally 50% extra. The luxury end of the market (Azamara, Silversea etc) charge between 10-25% extra making these cruiselines better value than the standard/premium cruiselines particularly if you would like a balcony or suite as these often incur a 100% supplement. However, if you can travel at short notice or "out of season" many special offers are placed on this site and others which offer zero or reduced charges for the single passenger.

Last edited by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 23rd June 2011 at 09:29 AM.

MSC often have good singles prices, but onboard ship is pretty pricey

Images
    I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. I'm pleased to hear that you will eventually return to cruising and I'm sure you'll make new friends onboard. If you enjoy 'surfing' and shopping around you may find good deals for single people, or you could take the short cut and ask cruise. to look for you. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your holiday. Judith