Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why Is it Cheaper to fly to the USA & Cruise and than it is to sail from southampton

Please can someone tell my why it is so much cheaper to book a cruise that sails from a port in the USA(Miami ect..) that includes flights and pre night in a hotel than to book a cruise that sails from Southampton with no flights or hotel.

I have checked through the cruise lines and taken cruises from southampton many times on different cruise lines and yet when I use the same cruise lines in the USA it is cheaper.....same duration, same stateroom grade????????

Ciao Rocky

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Please can someone tell my why it is so much cheaper to book a cruise that sails from a port in the USA(Miami ect..) that includes flights and pre night in a hotel than to book a cruise that sails from Southampton with no flights or hotel.

I have checked through the cruise lines and taken cruises from southampton many times on different cruise lines and yet when I use the same cruise lines in the USA it is cheaper.....same duration, same stateroom grade????????

Ciao Rocky
    I think we suspect what the answer to that is!

Images
    Because the British have paid through the nose for Southampton sailings since cruising began. The Americans don't/wont pay what we are prepared to pay, they have more choice, more ports to sail from, more lines operating the same routes, all vying for business.

You can reduce that US package even further, quite significantly if your on the ball, by booking your own flights, hotels and transfers.

Myself, I don't complain about it, I just no longer cruise ex UK.

Wilba

Images

Not hard to see

Ciao Rocky
    I do not believe you have factored in that your journey across the Atlantic to, let us assume the Caribbean, takes around 6 days, maybe 12 there and back.

Now, all the time on the crossing you have accommodation, entertainment and are on full board. Even taking the lowest average daily cost for a days cruising, I would have thought it obvious that flying either way was cheaper.

I just googled a return flight to Miami for 369. Hard to find a 12 night cruise for under 899.00.

It is certainly cheaper to fly cruise from the Med that it is to go ex UK.

I think this has historically been through P and O and Fred Olsen, who have had a large proportion of the UK market for years, both having very loyal fan clubs. Also, there being a lot of folk in the UK who don't like to fly and prefer to cruise from a home port. Supply and demand says if there are a lot of people wanting to sail from UK and not so many ships/lines then prices will be comparatively higher.

However this might be set to change now that there is so much choice and so many cruise lines/ships to be sailing from the UK in 2011.

Cruising my way through life!

Sue

It is certainly cheaper to fly cruise from the Med that it is to go ex UK.

I think this has historically been through P and O and Fred Olsen, who have had a large proportion of the UK market for years, both having very loyal fan clubs. Also, there being a lot of folk in the UK who don't like to fly and prefer to cruise from a home port. Supply and demand says if there are a lot of people wanting to sail from UK and not so many ships/lines then prices will be comparatively higher.

However this might be set to change now that there is so much choice and so many cruise lines/ships to be sailing from the UK in 2011.
    All but two of our cruises have sailed from UK ports. A short drive to Dover or Southampton with as much luggage as we like; disembark and home well before lunchtime; no airport hassles - that's how we like it!

The port fee's in the Caribbean are reported to be lots cheaper than the 'Med'

This is the reply I got from Princess after raising this point last year. the Sea Princess 17 day Caribbean cruise was 200 cheaper than the 14 day Grand sailings from Southampton.

I no longer sail with Princess after this reply and the exorbitant rise in drink prices plus 15%

If you go to Princess.com site and compare prices with Princess.co.uk site you will see how much more Brits are willing to pay!.

Watch that you get the right site....the .com site will try to direct you back to the .co site, to hide the USA prices from you.

The difference you pay for the same cruise if you pay in Pounds or Euro is disgusting.
    I always pay in dollars. Of course when I phone they always tell me I cant pay in dollars and I just say "do you want my money or not, because if you dont take the payment in dollars, it will just be going to a rival company."
    They usually give in. You can save as much as 50% doing this.
    Even if im booking a European cruise, or ex UK, I will pay in dollars.
    Brits and Europeans are ripped off. Never pay in Pounds or Euro.

All but two of our cruises have sailed from UK ports. A short drive to Dover or Southampton with as much luggage as we like; disembark and home well before lunchtime; no airport hassles - that's how we like it!
    Totally agree, Southampton is soooo easy...

P&O Artemis/Oceana/Aurora/Azura
    RCI - Independence of the Seas
    Celebrity Eclipse
    Cunard QM2/QE/QV
    Royal Princess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast