Images

Is The Worst Thing About Cruising The Passengers?

I found this today from the CruiseMates.com web site
    http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/201004131355/worst-cruising-passengers/ Click on link

Quote:
    Per above link
    Choose a ship thatís the right fit for you, and youíre a lot less likely to find things to gripe about. Of course there are those who believe the quality of the passenger has declined along with the declines they believe theyíve seen in the industry. Those folks should probably look for a different vacation, but many will continue to book their cruises, and then get onboard, and complain about almost everyone else on the ship. Those are the passengers who can ďruin my cruise
    End of Quote:

The above you might find interesting and begin to see what happens when expectations are not met for some folks.
    Sometimes I think it is similar to when people go to Land Inclusive resorts and have the same expectation because of the monies they have spent. As it is a large closed community for a duration of time then they tend to focus on things most of us accept.
    Like the worn carpet, after experiencing a five course meal over a few days they complain if a similar dish is offered six days later, perhaps it is the entertainment or not being invited to the Captains table or drink was over charged.
    Items they might have accepted at home when going once to a venue.
    Somehow the whole ship is their vacation paid for and the rest of us are spoiling it for them.

Thoughts?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 16th April 2010 at 05:02 AM.
    Rob
    Next Cruise:> My Blog robbarcruises.wordpress.com

I agree whinging passengers can be a pain but you know I deliberately use anytime dining so I can meet people and chat!
    Have met a lot of fun people making the most of their life...worst trip of my life was a bus around Europe once was enough!!!

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    I agree whinging passengers can be a pain but you know I deliberately use anytime dining so I can meet people and chat!
    Have met a lot of fun people making the most of their life...worst trip of my life was a bus around Europe once was enough!!!

Agree with you. We have not tried the anytime dining but except for our first cruise all have been interesting. The first cruise had an American telling us after the first night that we had to rotate our dining table seats each night. I told her I did not come on a cruise to be told what to do, my OH was a bit embarrassed.

Then we took a Ships tour in Wales and a bunch of ones from the US told the driver they could not see outside the drivers main window.
    It happend to be a sun shower and the sun was shing directly at him, so he pulled down a screen device to better see the road.

Rob

Agree with you. We have not tried the anytime dining but except for our first cruise all have been interesting. The first cruise had an American telling us after the first night that we had to rotate our dining table seats each night. I told her I did not come on a cruise to be told what to do, my OH was a bit embarrassed.

Then we took a Ships tour in Wales and a bunch of ones from the US told the driver they could not see outside the drivers main window.
    It happend to be a sun shower and the sun was shing directly at him, so he pulled down a screen device to better see the road.

Some people would not be happy in Heaven. We were brought up never to complain about trivial matters and if I find a whiner on a cruise or bus trip I ignore and avoid.

As for being told what to do as soon as you set foot on the ship , well , change tables not just seats ! A suggestion is fine but dominance is not .

There were eight at table on our last cruise and we did rotate because of the shape of the table and it was fun but bossy ladies are formidable and I dig in my toes !

Last edited by Christiaan, Ocean Shores; 19th April 2010 at 01:51 AM.

Images
    Some people would not be happy in Heaven. We were brought up never to complain about trivial matters and if I find a whiner on a cruise or bus trip I ignore and avoid.

As for being told what to do as soon as you set foot on the ship , well , change tables not just seats ! A suggestion is fine but dominance is not .

There were eight at table on our last cruise and we did rotate because of the shape of the table and it was fun but bossy ladies are formidable and I dig in my toes !
    Turns out she was a retired teacher and forgot she was now retired. Agree I should have just changed our table but were trying to be nice.
    Next tme forget it

Thanks

Rob

My only real peeve apart from one long cruise where too many older passengers were practically dumped on tours by neglectful family leaving the rest of us to take care of them.

Back to my real peeve...lecturing Aussies and Kiwis about tips! I wish people would realise a. we pay a living wage...tips are for exceptional service above what is normally expected.

and b. when in "rome" we do what is expected but it is not part of our culture and really we have no need for a lecture on the subject anymore than an American would welcome a lecture from us on their gun/gang/slave labour rates of pay.

Here endeth the rant!

Images
    My only real peeve apart from one long cruise where too many older passengers were practically dumped on tours by neglectful family leaving the rest of us to take care of them.

Back to my real peeve...lecturing Aussies and Kiwis about tips! I wish people would realise a. we pay a living wage...tips are for exceptional service above what is normally expected.

and b. when in "rome" we do what is expected but it is not part of our culture and really we have no need for a lecture on the subject anymore than an American would welcome a lecture from us on their gun/gang/slave labour rates of pay.

Here endeth the rant!
    Must be Sunday, sermon now finished. :D
    Good points, especailly with your 'when in Rome' comment.
    You might enjoy this article I found yestrday from the December 15, 2009 Times Online UK.

Tipping on cruise ships: the etiquette guide -Times Online

Cheers

Rob

Must be Sunday, sermon now finished. :D
    Good points, especailly with your 'when in Rome' comment.
    You might enjoy this article I found yestrday from the December 15, 2009 Times Online UK.

Tipping on cruise ships: the etiquette guide -Times Online

Cheers
    Great link, sums it up perfectly...I am actually quite OK with leaving the auto tip on and making sure I fill in the passenger feedback cards to acknowledge great service by individuals and ensure they get promotion etc.

But as a dedicated Princess fan..I expect the line to live up to its own published expectations and almost invariably they do!

Images
    Great link, sums it up perfectly...I am actually quite OK with leaving the auto tip on and making sure I fill in the passenger feedback cards to acknowledge great service by individuals and ensure they get promotion etc.

But as a dedicated Princess fan..I expect the line to live up to its own published expectations and almost invariably they do!
    Well, we are more in sync then one knows.
    I've tried to point out to others prior your points or as a friend said, very few situations require us to stand in front of a firing squad.
    We have used Princess a few times also and aside from direct communication in a respectful way to staff, the options you mention are their to be used.
    Most staff aside from being worked hard and long hours want to do a good job as they know their contract renewal depends on it.
    Sure, you might have the odd slacker but teams pick up on it eventually.
    The hard part for both is if they have a tough time speaking English to those of us with varied accents.

Rob