When do you book flights for Christmas Cruises?

Hi

We're looking to cruise next Christmas and new year for the first time - probably the caribbean - so we've been watching flight prices closely since they started to go on sale - and it's staggering how much they've gone up already. Cruise Air may be an option but we do like to do our own thing so I thought I'd ask - when have you booked your flights for Christmas and was there a deal to be struck ... or should I just hand the risk to the cruiseco?

David

There's no doubt that flights for Xmas (like flights for most of the year) won't get any cheaper as time goes on. I'd do all my research of all the online options and also ask cruise.co what they can do, then select the best price.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi

We're looking to cruise next Christmas and new year for the first time - probably the caribbean - so we've been watching flight prices closely since they started to go on sale - and it's staggering how much they've gone up already. Cruise Air may be an option but we do like to do our own thing so I thought I'd ask - when have you booked your flights for Christmas and was there a deal to be struck ... or should I just hand the risk to the cruiseco?

David
    At Christmas flights are at a premium book a fly/cruise or go a few days before.
    If your flight is cancelled or delayed then you miss your cruise it will cost a lot to catch up and that is down to you to organize.
    If you have a fly/cruise they will sort it out.

At Christmas flights are at a premium book a fly/cruise or go a few days before.
    If your flight is cancelled or delayed then you miss your cruise it will cost a lot to catch up and that is down to you to organize.
    If you have a fly/cruise they will sort it out.
    Wise words, Spartan. There's a poor soul over on the review section describing how they missed their cruise entirely this weekend owing to bad weather and as they'd booked flights separately - and even bought additional ones as the original ones were cancelled - they weren't guaranteed getting much money back.

Images
    You can book long haul 11 months to the day before departure, so if the price looks right on the first day of sale, book it 'cos it ain't gonna' get cheaper!
    I too prefer to do my own thing but always have a back plan.
    I don't fly the day before the cruise as I want to experience my port of departure, so I book 3 or 4 days before cruise so if the weather decides to go Michael Fish I have 3 or 4 days in hand as a fallback.

Wilba

Images
    You can book long haul 11 months to the day before departure, so if the price looks right on the first day of sale, book it 'cos it ain't gonna' get cheaper!
    I don't fly the day before the cruise as I want to experience my port of departure, so I book 3 or 4 days before cruise so if the weather decides to go Michael Fish I have 3 or 4 days in hand as a fallback.
    With you there Wilba, on both counts.

And more wise words here. I think experiencing the port of departure before the cruise adds to the overall excitement.

Images
    Well I am being advised by a Travel Agent that the general rule is a as early as possible. Typically the cruise company do a deal, parents flights to NY were 1 ea on top of the cruise price (QM2 Caribbean Dec 09 booked through cruise.co.uk)

Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: *new* cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Queen Mary 2 Jun14
    Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica