Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spanish Tax

Exclamation Spanish Tax

We received our Queen Victoria pre-voyage documentation today and were surprised to read the following:-
    "Please note that when we call into ports in mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands, all items purchased in the onboard bars, drinks in the Restaurants and select dining cover charges will be subject to Spanish value added tax at the rate of 7%. Our prices are displayed exclusive of this tax which will be charged in addition and will be itemised on your receipt. At the time of going to print, this additional tax applies to mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands but may later be extended to other countries."
    I've never come across this before, has anyone else? I wonder where the extra 7% goes?
    (We are sailing to Norway so won't be affected on this cruise.)

Last edited by OLD GIRL, CLECKHEATON; 21st April 2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: wrong spellling

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We received our Queen Victoria pre-voyage documentation today and were surprised to read the following:-
    "Please note that when we call into ports in mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands, all items purchased in the onboard bars, drinks in the Restaurants and select dining cover charges will be subject to Spanish value added tax at the rate of 7%. Our prices are displayed exclusive of this tax which will be charged in addition and will be itemised on your receipt. At the time of going to print, this additional tax applies to mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands but may later be extended to other countries."
    I've never come across this before, has anyone else? I wonder where the extra 7% goes?
    (We are sailing to Norway so won't be affected on this cruise.)
    Yep we copped for it on Century in November, 15% +7% on everything the whole cruise. There seems to be no consistency in this ruling, or could that be 'racket', as other lines doing similar itineraries appear to be void of this nonsense...........Wilba

Wilba

Indepence" levied this tax on drinks plus the 15% tip last year.For certain ares of Europe.
    But its not new as the port of Miami does the same.It can hardly be seen as VAT as that rate is 20% in Spain.

Images
    am on Grand Princess in May (calling at Spain) not had any info about this, also didn't experience this on Vision in Nov 09

Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

Images

Arrow This is how it works...

That 7% wot belongs to the Spanish Gov't. will be put in a sack
    and go ashore with the Pilot, when he gets on to his little boat after guiding the ship out of the Port.

Oooops! There he goes right now!

When he gets back to shore, he hands the sack over to the local Controller Of Customs.

Now you know!
    ;)

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

That 7% wot belongs to the Spanish Gov't. will be put in a sack
    and go ashore with the Pilot, when he gets on to his little boat after guiding the ship out of the Port.

Oooops! There he goes right now!

When he gets back to shore, he hands the sack over to the local Controller Of Customs.

Now you know!
    ;)
    And the name on the pilot's boat - 'Jolly Roger'

Images

Wink Mais oui!

And the name on the pilot's boat - 'Jolly Roger'
    Anything like that will do nicely!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Thanks Alpmac, now I know how the 7% gets transported, but I won't be able to sleep tonight wondering how the amount due is calculated! I realise that information from all the tills will probably be collected on the main computer and a print out will be delivered but does the pilot run around with his little dipstick checking the odd barrel or two as well?

I wonder if Thomsons will add a surcharge when I call at spanish ports this summer. Somehow I have a sneaky feeling they will not ;)

Have just come back from 14 nights on Ventura. We were charged 7% additional tax when docked in mainland Spain (but nobody spends that much on board when docked I wouldn't think). On Royal Caribbean because the cruise started in Barcelona we were charged 7% on top of everything all cruise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast