Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    I use to work for a very large UK company and anyone who dealt with the general public was sent on a course first.
    The aim of the course was to de-acronym you and to stop you using jargon. The point of it all was to prevent confusion and misunderstandings. Believe me it wasn't easy.
    I'm not sure that acronyms are childish but they promote laziness in thought and speech, not to mention confusion, as can be seen by the comments on this thread.
    If you can't say what you mean, how can you mean what you say!
    Cheers OSD
    Well that's a bit rich for the man who signs off with an acronym

NTYN = Not on your Nelly. (Sorry that one was for those north of Watford)

Changing the subject slightly I was giving my post code to someone today and said.... S for Susan, O for Olive, and he said they're good;
    I had someone doing that the other day and they actually said, E for X ray, Q for Cucumber, when quoting a reference number.

Words are so useful but also a wonderful source of amusement. ....Neil
    Hello November, Echo, India, Lima, Delta, Oscar, Window, November!

How the hell is NTYN = Not on your Nelly!

By the way it's S for Sierra and O for Oscar

Tango Oscar Mike

We daren't say any longer that we cruise with :

NCL - Norwegian Cruise Line
    HAL - Holland America Line
    MSC - Meditterrean Shipping Company
    P&O - Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company

We can no longer fly to LHR - London - Heathrow or BHX - Birmingham International or JFK - New York.

Then Lizzie may have a point! These acronyms can be very confusing!

We can longer fly with BA instead we fly with British Airways or is that 'Best Avoided' or 'Bloody Awful', god forbid that you use EI to indicate you Aer Lingus flights perhaps we should spell that out 'Arousing Erotic Randy Ladies in Nice Green Uniformed Suits' and oh! just as well SABENA are no longer about because that was 'Such a bad experience, never again!' and what about QANTAS - Queensland and Northern Territory Air Services or is that 'Queens and Nymphomaniacs Trained as Stewards'. Don't ever fly with BWIA - British West Indies Airline - 'But Will It Arrive' or is it 'Better Walk if Able'. And what about ALITALIA - 'Air Line in Tokyo and Luggage in Amsterdam!' or is it 'Always Late In Takeoff, Always Late In Arrival'. Is DELTA - 'don't ever leave the airport!'. Finnair is so obvious 'Flights Into Nomadic Northern Arctic Isolated Regions'. I would hate that you would get the wrong end of the stick if you thought I used LUFTHANSA - 'Let Us F*ondle The Hostess And Not Say Anything'. The Greek airline OLYMPIC is so apt and does explain the trouble they are in 'Onassis likes your money paid in cash'. Do you choose to fly with SAS because they are 'Slow and Safe' or because of the 'Sex after service' or is it always supplied? When you book your Air India flight do you really feel that you have done the wrong thing and think 'After I Return I'll never Do It Again'. Do you like your airline meals - better not fly with American then 'Airline Meals Eaten Regularly Induces Cramps and Nausea'. I had to give up using ATA as 'all times approximate'. Garuda (Indonesia) never had a good reputation for goo reason as it 'Good And Reliable Until Departure Announced', however the other Indonesian airline Merpati is not so hot either because its a 'Miserable experience. Routinely pilots are totally incompetent'. And you thought Ryanair was named after its founder Tony Ryan when in fact its an acronym of its mission statement 'Running Your Ailing National Airline Into Receivership'!

I rest my case!

Last edited by tomvet, limerick, roi; 28th March 2012 at 01:12 AM.

alitalia = alwayas late in take-off and late in arrival.
    ba = bloody awful

I can't remember any others.

Annie

Believe me we have only just started with this. When I worked in America I had to bring someone into the bi weekly conference calls to quietly translate for me, as the whole meeting seemed to be conducted in abbreviations. I'm afraid the English language as we know it is irrevocably changing. We may as well get used to it.

Images

Tango Oscar Mike
    Thomas if you are going to correct people then make sure your post is correct. Everyone knows W - Whiskey. (Get with the programme)

C - for your effort.

PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Getting with the program (lets use the American spelling as well) - we should try and incorporate an acronym in our postings - joke.

Annie

Images
    Getting with the program (lets use the American spelling as well) - we should try and incorporate an acronym in our postings - joke.

Annie
    Annie,
    I fully expected Thomas to come up with the phrase "Go Figure!". Which is quite irritating also.

I am afraid the Military are one of the biggest culprits for the use of acronyms and I do find I have to correct myself regularly IYSWIM.

Regards
    PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Images
    TBH I think that is a very strongly worded order that is uncalled for. If you don't understand it, why not ask? It is just one person's very strong opinion, its modernisation of a language - all languages have to modernise - lets face it the words computer, fridge were not there in ole Willie Shakespeare's time. We found words for them.

Everyday I review the previous days BSE RTL results, if there is a +ve I must send the samples to the NRL for confirmatory IHC analysis! Tesco voucher for the person who has that one solved in its entirety by midnight tommorrow! There are acronyms in what we do every day!

I would say 'just get with the programme'.

C u l8r!
    Well - I was going to give Malcolm Welshman a ring as my 'Ask a Friend' but then decided it could not be that hard a question and I had a spare 5 minutes so............to answer:

Everyday you review the previous days Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy Rapid Testing Levels results, if there is a +ve (predictive value change) you have to send the samples to the National Reference Laboratory for confirmation by a IHC = immunohistochemical analysis.

In other words you test bovines for BSE (Mad Cow Disease) and probably a whole host of other nasty things!

When can I expect my Tesco voucher as I need to plan my shopping trip?

Tango Oscar Mike

I did add a proviso that it was for those north of Watford, now I will allow that you are just North of Watford but I meant in this Country.

I just knew it would go ZooooooooooooM with many.

I still say NTYN = Not on your Nelly. ........ Neil Down with or without a "window" in my name

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast