Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

The future of travel web sites?

Just saw an article on the soon to launch revamped travel.co.uk - how slick does this look:

Your thoughts?...................

Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: *new* cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Queen Mary 2 Jun14
    Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Images
    Yes Grant, it looks very slick. I've not used it yet.

I certainly think Travel Agents 'shops' should be worried by the publics ability to book Hotels, flights and Cruises on-line. I don't subscribe to the idea that it is better to talk to a human being - it all depends if the human being has a clue what they are talking about! It also depends on the TA's bias. If you walk into a Thomson Travel shop and say 'cruise' they will of course pick the 'Thomson Cruise' brochure from the shelf even if the product may be wrong for you.

Images
    With only 30% of the population using PCs it could be a while befor .. ON LINE replaces the HIGH STREET..... but its the future...

If you go househunting these days its all done on line.. Estate Agents now email out house details and those on the internet get to see the properties well before mail outs reach those with out the internet... Some agents now arent posting out details as the costs have mounted so much...
    Its the future...

Images
    Well in a way a lot of cruises are becoming 'commodities'. You look at the way MSC and RCI pedal out the same itineraries week after week and the 'behind the scenes' slashing of agency commissions so they are all the same, you end up with the same price regardless where you buy it from. Especially with the 'ship cloning' going on between shipping lines within the same corporation.

So what's left? Well the relationship you may build with a company or an agent for sure, but for others the all in one convenience of a site that does all and has put some real effort into how the web site is used (shop, community, design, information) without the 'blast everything on one page' approach we see TOO often.

There are very few cruise companies that offer a good ONGOING customer relationship. Once the cruise it's sold its done and dusted. No real after care or incentives to rebook. They'll catch on, eventually.

Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Well in a way a lot of cruises are becoming 'commodities'. You look at the way MSC and RCI pedal out the same itineraries week after week and the 'behind the scenes' slashing of agency commissions so they are all the same, you end up with the same price regardless where you buy it from. Especially with the 'ship cloning' going on between shipping lines within the same corporation.
    I'm not so sure about all agents will end up offering the same prices Grant. We have recently booked on Cunard at a deal price that none of the other agents could get close to, including Cruise Dot. I was informed that the agent had obviously had an exclusive promo deal set up with Cunard, hence it was unmatchable.

Another example, MSC were offering 99 cruises recently through selected agents. I can't see this type of competition coming to an end, agents discount cuts or not.

As for the Travel Shops, I'm surprised there are so many still with us..........Wilba

Wilba

Images
    There will be occasional promos for specific agents, but the days of agents cutting their commission (used to be 15-20%) to get a deal are long gone as they all make a flat 5%.

Images
    Exclusive deals to .. the larger agents has always happened...they used to offer a bulk buyer discount to the agents with large booking. Not sure they still do this... but maybe from what you said they do.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    There are very few cruise companies that offer a good ONGOING customer relationship. Once the cruise it's sold its done and dusted. No real after care or incentives to rebook. They'll catch on, eventually.
    The agency I've used offers very good advice and service and keeps in touch if they see a cruise offer they think I'd like. The flight costs are much lower with them than I can book.

I do like the look of that website however so often I find that there is a problem booking holidays online now. In the past I've done it with little problem. Occasionally we have had to phone a travel company to chat to someone to find out what the problem is with the site. Surprisingly a couple of times they have undercut the web price.

Just today we had to contact a holiday company because the breakdown of the holiday cost was totally baffling with extra room charges of 780 but no explanation why. I checked the hotel website but it gives no details of room charges either.

A quick call to a very pleasant young lady and we were advised that it is possibly a sea view charge. She then offered to contact the hotel for us to check this out and find out if there were any rooms without the charge. We'll have to wait & see but it was very good customer care. Sometimes you do need the personal touch.

Just tried to use this website and get this message
    403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.
    Whats going on as i have not supplied anything?
    NARDOUX

i do book most of my holidays via the internet now...instead of the old ways of spending ages in a travel agent while they tap a computer, i spend hours doing it, but i can do background research at the same time.
    but, what really bugs me is when a site lures you in with a headline price which suddenly vanishes once you enquire further...and they all seem to be doing this now including cruise.co.uk.
    i can also sympathise with the poster with "travel supplement" problems as i got hit with them and there was no explanation given.
    dynamic pricing is also a headache; looking at a holiday yesterday, the price per person reduced by 25 within 3 hours.it's like trying to hit a moving target.
    i think the best tactic is "book then don't look".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast