Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Island Escape refit Nov 2010?

I have just been reading the reviews (as you do) and came across this comment: However we were told the ship was to be refurbished in November 2010.

This doesn't seem to have been mentioned previously & I wondered if anyone else had any ideas.

The review this came from can be found at: http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie..._review_21145/

Shell

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

Images
    Don't you wish people would make their minds up been reading another review and the reviewer is saying:
    the size of the ship is simply awesome and it looked well kept. ...We then simply enjoyed everything about the Island Escape.

This one can be found at: Fab holiday for four novice cruisers | Island Escape | Island Cruises | Cruise.co.uk

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

Images

Question Nothing to compare it with?

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Don't you wish people would make their minds up
    - been reading another review and the reviewer is saying:
    the size of the ship is simply awesome and it looked well kept.
    ...We then simply enjoyed everything about the Island Escape.

This one can be found at:
    Fab holiday for four novice cruisers | Island Escape | Island Cruises | Cruise.co.uk
    Twould seem the key words in that post are four novice cruisers.

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Images
    Twould seem the key words in that post are four novice cruisers.
    I would say so, but what kind of hotels have they stayed in previously if they thought it was that great!

Looking at the photos I'd be asking to be let off at the next port!

Have I been on a cruise?

I will consider going on a cruise when Cunard run the odd ship from Liverpool, the true and historic home of the company.
    Denys Owen

Images
    I have just been reading the reviews (as you do) and came across this comment: However we were told the ship was to be refurbished in November 2010.

This doesn't seem to have been mentioned previously & I wondered if anyone else had any ideas.

The review this came from can be found at: The ship needs a refit but we had a good time | Island Escape | Island Cruises | Cruise.co.uk

Shell
    Hi Shelley. I've mentioned Island Escape on another thread- Berlitz Guide 2010. It's not in the latest edition and yet I've read on this site somewhere, that cabins are being refurbished and public areas are being re-carpeted. Do you think she is being sold off or re-named?

It reminds me a bit of the failing school scenario i.e. close the school down, re-open it the next day under a new name with a clean slate.

Jill

The review this came from can be found at: The ship needs a refit but we had a good time | Island Escape | Island Cruises | Cruise.co.uk

Shell
    It appears there are no cruises scheduled between 21 October and 19 November which leaves almost 4 weeks, enough time to do a modest refit.

RE: "Don't you wish people would make their minds up been reading another review and the reviewer is saying:
    the size of the ship is simply awesome and it looked well kept. ...We then simply enjoyed everything about the Island Escape."

I have sailed on the Island Escape on four occasions and have always written what I considered was as fair and accurate review of the ship. My last cruise was in February 2010 and I was frankly shocked with the appalling drop in standards. In the past the main points that warranted good review was, the very high standard of food, the excellent entertainment and the exceptional standard of service from the crew. The quality of food has drop off to such a degree that a regular comment heard at meal times was well you can always find something to eat, the nightly entertainment which was only last year amongst the best I have seen on any ship has dropped to such a poor standard that we rarely went along, the day time deck entertainment was repeated in the short space of seven days even down to using the same dialog, the night time deck entertainment was so poor that at the sailing away party very few stayed after seeing what was on offer, some of the crew such as the cabin staff are still of the very high standard we all came to expect on this ship, there are however many others such as some of the bar stewards and some the waiters who seem dissatisfied with their lot, seldom smile and frankly seem uninterested in providing a service, we tipped the cabin steward as usual but this is the first time in ten years of cruising that we did not tip any of the bar staff or waiters. Lastly the ship, to put it politely has a very tired look; the crew tried very hard to maintain the ship to the best of their ability but can only clean to a standard that the aged fittings allowed. On a positive note we did enjoy our cruise and Im sure other fair minded passengers will agree but I will not travel on this ship again.

I can't understand why standards would drop to such an extent. The ship still has the same owners (TUI) and if it is managed by Thomsons you would expect similar standards to their other ships, on which the food is good and varied and the entertainment considered by many to be high quality.

What are the savings to be made running a casual ship? I would have thought just the staff savings from having less waiters etc. It looks as if in making the prices considerably cheaper than their other ships TUI (Thomson) may be cutting everything in a attempt to leverage as much income out of the only ship they own. They did make a loss last year which the bean counters will be doing their best to rectify, mainly because they want their bonus and don't give a damm about the product as long as it is cheap :mad:

Images
    I can't understand why standards would drop to such an extent. The ship still has the same owners (TUI) and if it is managed by Thomsons you would expect similar standards to their other ships, on which the food is good and varied and the entertainment considered by many to be high quality.

What are the savings to be made running a casual ship? I would have thought just the staff savings from having less waiters etc. It looks as if in making the prices considerably cheaper than their other ships TUI (Thomson) may be cutting everything in a attempt to leverage as much income out of the only ship they own. They did make a loss last year which the bean counters will be doing their best to rectify, mainly because they want their bonus and don't give a damn about the product as long as it is cheap :mad:
    Hi Dave.
    I went on I/E three times last year + whilst i admit it was scruffy/aged etc + i would not go on her again,i cant agree with poster who complained about staff etc.
    I found food/entertainment/staff up to usual Thomson standard,especially waiting + bar staff,usually my drink was there before i asked for it.
    And they where all tipped well for it.
    I think a refit will do it good,if only replacing carpets but i dont think they can do much about stability,especially in rough weather in Canaries in November
    JC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast