Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Belfast

Images

Belfast

Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions of must see's in Belfast ? Also any good restaurants close to the dock for lunch ?

I think we are doing the Titanic museum but looking for other ideas to see the most of this port.

Befast is a fantastic city and one of the few places where the HOHO busses actually work. Stormont castle (House of Parliament) is on beautiful grounds with a lovely peace garden the brainchild of Mo Mowlam. It is worth getting off the HOHO for a 30 min stop here. Back in town you have to take the bus to the Shankill and Falls Road districts and the peace line - very poignant but living history. The Divis tower are interesting - nothing much to look at but what a story they could tell. Don't be afraid to get off in Shankill or Falls - thank God both sides have moved on! The murals are also fantastic from an artistic viewpoint not to mention the story's they tell of hunger strikers etc. It is interesting to see the Catholic areas with the kerb edgings painted green white and orange and the protestant areas painted bue red and white.

If you are going in July- I would be cautious then as things do get a bit heated then but then usually settle.

The Royal Victoria Hospital has a very nice railing around it in the form of the Crick and Watson, double DNA helix!

Back in town don't forget to peek into City Hall and the statues of Donegal Sq. Down near the Harbour you can see the fish, Nuala with the Hoola and Albert clock which is tilting.

The Titanic quarter was only starting when I was last there so I cannot comment on how good it is.

There are loads of shopping centres.

Enjoy its a great city!

If you want to head out of town you could take the train to Bangor, take a tour to the Giant's Causeway and Bushmils.

Images
    Thanks for that Tomvet most helpful.

Images
    Blimey Tom you've sold me on Belfast now. A very good and informative post thanks !

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Blimey Tom you've sold me on Belfast now. A very good and informative post thanks !
    Seriously Trevor if you are looking for a place to go for a week end you could do worse than Belfast. All the low cost carriers fly into there. It gives Dublin a good ole run for its money and for you you don't have to worry about currency exchange etc.

I forgot to add for Patience that lunch in the Europa (the most bombed hotel in Europe - well at one point anyhow) is great and a pint in the Crown Liqiour Saloon are a must also!

I am just sorry that our MSC Lirica is calling to Dublin instead of Belfast - I like Dublin but I go there reguarly - Belfast is a trek from here!

Europa Is is known as the "most bombed hotel in Europe" and the "most bombed hotel in the world" after having suffered 28 bomb attacks during the Troubles That is not including the bombs that did not go off & they where 9!! of those either faulty or diffused by an A.T.O.

]

It's a fantastic City, we did a tour of the Cathedral, we visited Stormont and Shanklin and Falls Rd, it's pretty incredible and some of the murals are amazing. You could spend a week there and still find plenty to do. Loved it! Tom, you have reminded me I must go back. Patience you will have a great time, do let us know.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    It's a fantastic City, we did a tour of the Cathedral, we visited Stormont and Shanklin and Falls Rd, it's pretty incredible and some of the murals are amazing. You could spend a week there and still find plenty to do. Loved it! Tom, you have reminded me I must go back. Patience you will have a great time, do let us know.
    I forgot about St Anne's Cathedral with the largest celtic cross in Ireland on the gable end. Then there are the 3 coloured buoys near it nicknamed Tom, Dick and Harry. You can work out what kind of shape Dick is in .

A very good freind of mine did her PhD on the murals and went up to Befast to interview anyone willing to talk to her. She loved it.

People rave about Befast castle - its nice but definitely not the major highlight of the city - there are better castles. A short train ride away is Carrickfergus and it has a better example of a castle.

When we visited Belfast last September we intended to catch the HOHO bus but decided instead to use a taxi. We spent a very interesting couple of hours, in comfort and with a knowledgeable driver at a cost of £25-00 an hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast