Heligoland / Helgoland

The MSC is homeporting in Hamburg this summer and is doing cruises to the Fjords, Baltics and the British Isles.

When cruising to the British Isles its non-EU port are the German tax haven of Helgoland / Heligoland! I assume that the cursory call of 4 hours to this port is to allow the cruiseline to avoid taxes and duties and the sale of duty free onboard.

Heligoland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the first time I have seen this port on any itinerary. Have you been?

Interesting is M.S.C trying to get some of Aida trade?? Heligoland is the site of the world biggest non Nuclear Man made explosion when the Royal Navy after the 2nd world war Literately blew the whole place up to destroy the U boat pens that where built into the island, & considering that it used to be part of Britain it did not go down very well with the locals who had to move out to the mainland Germany for years before they where allowed back.

]

Tuggy, never thought of them infringing on AIDA's territory - MSC have excellent value out of Hamburg to the Baltics, Fjords and BIs.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Tuggy, never thought of them infringing on AIDA's territory - MSC have excellent value out of Hamburg to the Baltics, Fjords and BIs.
    That's because M.S.C. Is not a cruise line its a privately owned shipping company, That does cruises as part of its business.

]

Images
    Thanks for the info on this cruise Tom which I might well try and do this year as I like the itinerary a lot and I've heard Hamburg is a nice city to visit. Lirica looks like a good mid-sized ship too. Have you been on it before ?

I have not been on Lirica but am willing to try it. They are selling this cruise from Hamburg to Cork. Interested in the Scottish Isles portion.