Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

X1 or J2?

It all depends on what you like to drink (and how much!) - if you like spirits and cocktails then you might want the J2.

We have just come back from a week on the Fortuna with the X1 package
    and saved a fortune! We just had to show our Costa card with X1 on the back, and were brought our drinks, no signing or scanning at all.

In the buffet areas you can get beer/wine/water by the glass during mealtimes - no limit. (You don't have to be eating)

In the waiter restaurants they will bring you bottles of water or wine and you can take them away after the meal ( beer is by the glass ).
    All the wine, red and white, is of good quality.

We got into the habit of having lunch in the waiter restaurant as it was less hectic than the buffet. My husband would have a couple of beers, and I'd have a couple of white wines, plus mineral water. We'd then take the wine bottle to our cabin and put it in the fridge.

Early evening we'd take the bottle to one of the bars and ask for 2 glasses, (sometimes they'd bring a wine cooler too) and drink the wine as an aperitif.

We'd usually have red wine and mineral water at dinner (but sometimes white, too!) and there's no problem in having a bottle each at all. Most nights we'd discreetly share some with our tablemates, who were economising with a carafe of house wine.

Usually we had a half bottle left to take to one of the bars as before, or back to our cabin. In fact, on our last night while we were packing, we were struggling to drink the wine we had left and had to leave some!

When you consider a bottle of wine is about 20 euros, plus 15% service charge I think we did well!
    TIP: take some bottle stoppers.

Thanks for that you have explained it well I have cruised with Costa about 20 odd times and I know their wines very well and to be honest I dont think they are great now compaired to the wines that are available on other ships and also available in Italy and here in Spain
    Howver this has all become imaterial as we have now cancelled the cruise(not because of this problem) so we shall be holidaying in Europe this winter
    However I shall bare this in mind when I book the next cruise

I was informed that the J2 package is around 225 per person but today I was quoted 322 each by Thomas Cook for my next Costa cruise. I think I am going to turn tea total.

Sorry I should have mentioned that we only drink wine for lunch dinner or in the cabin so which package do you suggest

If you look on the costa website, you can buy wine packages. That might suit you better. Its listed under services, then you can phone Costa and book it with them.

Digger

If you only drink wine at lunch, dinner and in the cabin the best deal is the X1 package, as you can take the bottle/s from the restaurant back to your cabin to finish later.
    A bottle of wine is a minimum of 20 euros - plus 15% of course, and we paid 7.70 a day each for X1. So even if you only have one bottle of wine a day, it's cheaper with the X1. The wine packages you buy on board aren't such a good deal, believe me.
    With X1 the 2010 season has just started, so they'll have put the price up a bit.
    You can call Costa to book it on 0845 351 0552.

Hi
    We are booked on the Luminosa in February and was wondering what currency is used on board so we can work out whether to pay the 225 J2 drinks package.
    Is it Euros or dollars?
    And if anyone is going on this ship before us please can they tell me the drinks prices.

Currency depends on where she is sailing If you are sailing out of USA I would think it US dollar if in Europe it will be

Thanks I expected that but this is sailing from Dubai so not sure what currency will be

The only time I have sailed out of Dubai was on the QM2 and the currency was US Dollar but I think thats her normal currency
    I Think you may get the answer if you wait someone must have sailed there with Costa recently or if you are in a hurry call Costa or your TA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast