Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When is 'what is included' a contract?

I have just read the Brochure for the umpteenth time of Fred Olsen--and in the Gazeteer where is states about 'WHAT IS INCLUDED'---It definitely states 'ALL MEALS AND SNACKS WHEN ONBOARD'-----yet in the blurb at the front of the brochure with lovely photos it states about Tea times being so lovely etc (and it looks good) it mentions that there is a small supplement charge!!!! WHY ?? When they state ALL meals and Snacks!! Is tea time neither a Meal or a Snack?? On P & O and other ships tea times are 'included'----Comments please--from some Fred Olsen cruisers---we are on the Balmoral for the first time in March. Thanks.

Images
    All ships have some alternative 'food' and/or 'snacks' on offer for a fee. Olsen now charge for their Afternoon tea (Cunard do not).

I'm sure you could get a free cup of tea elsewhere on the ship and possibly a free cake. Olsen are asking you to pay for the 'formal' experience.

Olsen are pretty light on surcharges. Lines like NCL have 'surcharges' galore, they would argue that you DO NOT have to pay them.

I sort of agree with Malcolm.
    If you go to a speciality restaurant there would be an extra charge and in this case they are saying that if you want to go to Formal Tea the same would apply, ie a charge.

The fact that the brochure tells you there is a charge for this session indicates that it is an extra and like most extras at sea there is a charge. I assume that if you go to the buffet area for tea you would be allowed to have that there at no extra charge, the fact that a Formal Tea is in a special setting makes that different.

Regards. ....Neil

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    If you go to a speciality restaurant there would be an extra charge and in this case they are saying that if you want to go to Formal Tea the same would apply, ie a charge.

The fact that the brochure tells you there is a charge for this session indicates that it is an extra and like most extras at sea there is a charge. I assume that if you go to the buffet area for tea you would be allowed to have that there at no extra charge, the fact that a Formal Tea is in a special setting makes that different.

Regards. ....Neil
    I am not sure and I stand to be corrected, but I dont think Fred Olsen, have a buffet for afternoon tea.

We were on Balmoral in December (and had a wonderful time) - afternoon tea is available from the self service cafe, there was an assortment of different sandwiches ans rolls, cakes and pastries, and scones with fresh cream and jam. You can pick and choose whatever you fancy (but I strongly recommend the scones!). You can get a similar selection (but without the scones) from the Marquee bar on the top deck. This is available every day, but the "formal afternoon tea" was only held on one afternoon - this was waiter service, cake stands on your table and a choice of different types of tea - we didn't attend, we were more than happy enough with self service afternoon tea.

we are on the Balmoral for the first time in March. Thanks.
    By the way, hope you have a wonderful cruise !

Images
    I have already replied to this on the answers page but in case you missed it...Fred have a very nice afternoon tea with various savory bits and pieces, cakes and scones perfectly adequate and acceptable. They have now introduced a waiter service with a choice of speciality teas and a cake stand of goodies for a charge. Not many seemed to use the facility but Fred must feel it is worth doing.

I don't feel the brochure is misleading, they advertise the fact there is a charge and on most ships I have sailed on there have been "extras" for speciality services...Carol

Images
    I must point out the PO also do a wonderful cream tea, teacakes, crumpets, sandwiches and cakes, in the dining room and a choice of teas, no charge, waiters in full fig,having sampled both Cunard and PO, I have to say Aurora knocked QV into a cocked hat

. It's part of the experience of sampling an old fashioned English afternoon tea and if you want a watered down version then the cafeteria offer's just that.
    FO have decided to charge for it. CG

Images
    Neil, can you not bring yourself to say "I do agree with Malcolm"?

Neil, can you not bring yourself to say "I do agree with Malcolm"?
    Oh come on Malcolm, after all that has been levelled against me recently that is almost akin to a national award ....Neil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast