Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fred in December 2011

We are looking at Balmoral, 8 December to the Canaries. Pros = no flying (we lost a holiday in December 2010 due to snow at Gatwick) and home in time for Christmas. Anti = ???

Never been with Fred before, only OV 1 & 2 and QV.

Any thoughts (weather?) or suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

[QUOTE=Leslie, London;301836]We are looking at Balmoral, 8 December to the Canaries. Pros = no flying (we lost a holiday in December 2010 due to snow at Gatwick) and home in time for Christmas. Anti = ???

Never been with Fred before, only OV 1 & 2 and QV.

Any thoughts (weather?) or suggestions gratefully received.

Balmoral is a nice ship, The Bay of Biscay may be rough in December. Weather should be pleasantly warm as you approach the Canaries

Many thanks Lacey; the Bay had crossed my mind, but I have heard of people having a bad crossing in the Summer.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Many thanks Lacey; the Bay had crossed my mind, but I have heard of people having a bad crossing in the Summer.
    Just completed a return crossing on a very smooth Bay which makes my experience 50% storm force 11-12 50% smooth. Better ratios than the 3 - 1 Storm Force of my first four crossings!!! (in December on Black Prince 11,000gt and Black Watch 28,000gt) It wouldn't put me off going again.

Thanks Lacey; have just booked the trip, so here's hoping!

I'm sure you will have a good time. Just looking at the late October trip on Balmoral.

I see that Balmoral has the MDR on Deck 6, but also has Spey and Avon on Deck 10 which look very nice. Can we choose which one, or is it allocated by the Company- can't seem to find any info about this on the FOL web site.

Many thanks

We were allocated MDR. Think the cabins on higher decks are allocated Avon and Spey. You can have breakfast and lunch in any of the dining rooms or Palm's cafe. I like the view from the large windows on Avon and Spey. MDR has nets.

Many thanks Lacey. I also liked the look of the large windows in Avon and Spey; so I think I know where for breakfast and lunch!

Hi Leslie
    I'm going to the canaries at the end of oct on the balmoral, so I'll let you know how it goes, I've only been on the braemar up to now, so 1st time for me too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast