Images

Whodunnit?! 'Queen of Crime' cruise first for Fred

Following the 120th birthday celebrations of perhaps the greatest-ever British crime writer, Agatha Christie, Fred. Olsen are launching an exclusive themed cruise, in conjunction with Agatha Christie Limited. This will be Balmoralís 10-night L1102 cruise to Iberia and Morocco, departing from Southampton on 23rd April 2011.

Agatha Christie is the most popular crime writer ever to have lived, and during her life, wrote 80 bestselling novels and short story collections, as well as many plays, including the longest-running play in history The Mousetrap which is still thrilling audiences today, after a staggering 59 years!

As part of their programme of special interests, The ArtsClub, this cruise will feature guests giving talks and lectures on the great crime writer and her work, including Agatha Christieís grandson, Mathew Prichard, who will be enthralling guests with his personal memories of his grandmother.

Author, John Curran, will also be joining this special cruise. John is a lifelong fan and noted expert on Agatha Christieís life and writings, and a frequent TV and radio broadcaster on the subject. His most recent book ĎAgatha Christieís Secret Notebooksí, revealed the secrets of how she wrote, and has so far been translated into 16 languages.

There will also be live performances on board featuring actors, along with selected members of the audience Ė of some of Agatha Christieís rarely-heard 30-minute radio plays.

The cruise will visit La Coruna in Spain, Casablanca in Morocco, Gibraltar, and the Portuguese ports of Portimao and Lisbon, before returning to Southampton. There is no extra charge for taking part in the Agatha Christie activities.

Are you an Agatha Christie fan? Does this kind of cruise appeal to you?

I would love to be able to join in this as I have been a great fan of Agatha Christie for many years and have all her books. Unfortunately, though, I can't make that particular time as I am going to my sister's 80th birthday celebrations that weekend.

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea - well done FO. If I wasn't already cruising on 30 April then I would be up for it definitely.

i would love to go but will be on royal carribean cruise at that time, what a shame its sounds like a great idea!

Brilliant idea... All I would add to the programme of events would be to have a Murder Mystery weekend type thing... they can be great fun, but I suppose it would be tricky with a ship full of people...