Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunset cabin or Concierge?

Hi, My Husband and I are planning to book on the fantastic Celebrity Eclipse next September. We came back after 2 weeks on it about a month ago and it was absolutely fantastic. We had Cat 1C which was great but fancy a step up! We have done an aft cabin with RCL which was great but wonder if anybody has done a Sunset Veranda cabin on the Eclipse (SV) and how was it or had a Concierge cabin Cat C2 (C1 sold out). Looking at the C2 there are some cabins near the aft where the balcony looks larger but abit worried about the overhang especially on the higher decks and also was it worth booking Concierge? Would appreciate any comments. Many thanks.

Hi Sofie,
    we were on a 1C cabin on Eclipse and have booked the exact same cabin on Solstice for August 2011 as we were entirely satisfied with the cabin. I thought it was a great size and well situated,
    regards,
    Heather

I've said regularly on this website that I regard Concierge (which we've had 3 times) as a waste of money. Some of the things they claim you get never appear, the fizzy wine is not champagne (and you could buy yourselves a bottle for a lot less than the concierge costs UNLESS the concierge is offered at a bargain rate, which occasionally happens), the canapes are dull, monotonous and let's be frank - you don't need them, the loaned binoculars are rubbish... I could go on.

To avoid the shading from the overhang, dont go any higher than deck 9. The sunset view aft cabins are tiered down so the deck above can always see the balcony below. My personal choice woule be any cabin on the mini hump - the curved bit that sticks out on the side, for best views. Some on the edge of the min hump have slightly larger angled balconies but view may be slightly restricted forward or aft depending on which end of the hump you are.

As for concierge, well go for it if there is a deal on but dont pay much more than any other grade balcony as its not worth the extra. Bowl of fruit - you can pick fruit up in Buffet. Flowers nice but can get in the way. Canapes good but theres always afternoon tea and room service. Binoculars and umbrella ok but no big deal, Fluffier towels and bathrobe - didnt really take too much notice of difference. Bottle of sparkly in cabin on arrival nice, but you can preorder a bottle of something for around $30 including strawberries. So really ask yourself just what extras are you really getting for your money? Bear in mind all the balcony cabins are exactly the same size until you move up to suites.

Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 12th October 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Hi Sophie,

We had a CC1 aft cabin on Equinox and this was the 3rd time we'd had a concierge class cabin. In my opinion, concierge class is not worth the extra and next year we have booked a 1B on the Eclipse. A CC2 would have cost us an extra 200 each. I would agree with Bosscat's comments. If you can get one, go for a cabin on the corner of the hump as the balconies are bigger.

It was very pleasant having the aft balcony but they are no bigger than any other balcony. We were looking down on some acquaintances in a Sunset Veranda and they had the same view for less cost. One down point is that on 2 or 3 days, we had soot from the funnel landing on the balcony. Having an aft cabin means you have a longer walk to the lifts/stairs, which you can consider a problem or a bonus.

I'm pleased to hear that you liked Eclipse enough to re-book for next year.

Images
    I agree that Concierge is not worth the extra. If you are looking at Solstice class ships try and 'book on the bulge' meaning in the middle of the Equinox / Solstice / Eclipse you have a set of balcony cabins that extend out further than those each side; 2 big benefits - not only can you then see the front and back of the ships, you are also very close to the 6 panoramic lifts which really helps.

This helped us on Eclipse a great deal and have made sure my folks are 'on the bulge' when they are on Equinox this Christmas.

Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: *new* cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Queen Mary 2 Jun14
    Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Hi Many thanks for your reply. When you say the mini hump, are you talking about the cabin for example at the rear of the ship right in front of the aft?

Images
    Apologies for the large picture, but I was referring to the bulge of balcony cabins in the middle of the ship:

Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway

Images
    You can see them on this deck plan:

There is a separating wall and reception area between the panoramic lifts and the cabins so you will not hear any elevator noise

The rear facing cabins on Eclipse do not have significantly larger balconies than the regular cabins. The balconies on the slope to the bulge are the largest ones - the ones actually on the bulge are regular size. Rear facing balconies are almost completely uncovered and since they are slanted out passengers on the higher decks can look down onto the lower balconies(no privacy at all). The only exception to this is the deck under the sunset bar, which has some cover.
    Sheila

Last edited by smtcan, Scarborough; 14th October 2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast