Topic: La Goulette

La Goulette

We are 10 hours in La Goulette - are we doing too much to take a trip to Carthage, Sidi Bou Said, Bardo Museum and the Medina?

If so what would you recommend leaving out? We have been to Jerash, Ephesus and Pompeii so is Carthage more of the same? Is Sidi Bou Said the poor man's Santorini? Sould the medina be anywhere in the Arab world? Is the Bardo museum the only unique feaature in La Goulette / Tunis?

Difficult questions. The ruins at Carthage are in my opinion quite different to those at Ephesus and Pompeii. The don't cover a huge area but if you are interested in the period then they do offer a different perspective.

I haven't seen much of the arab world beyond Egypt, Turkey and Tunisia but the Medina was interesting but I guess not too unique.

Sidi Bou Said is definately a poor mans Santorini - just one street selling similar goods with far less variety than Santorini. Last time we went there was an interesting market in what used to be the old coach park but prices weren't as cheap as when we first visited back in 2005.

Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Difficult questions. The ruins at Carthage are in my opinion quite different to those at Ephesus and Pompeii. The don't cover a huge area but if you are interested in the period then they do offer a different perspective.

I haven't seen much of the arab world beyond Egypt, Turkey and Tunisia but the Medina was interesting but I guess not too unique.

Sidi Bou Said is definately a poor mans Santorini - just one street selling similar goods with far less variety than Santorini. Last time we went there was an interesting market in what used to be the old coach park but prices weren't as cheap as when we first visited back in 2005.
    Thanks Sue - again some food for thought. We definitely need a guide as these ruins are only a 'heap of stones' to the uninformed.

HiTomvet, How did your trip to Tunis go and have you any tips for us when we get there in a month? What transport did you use? Many thanks

Hi Tallship - I have not gone yet! In fact you will be there before me so you can tell me!

What ship are you on? When are you going?

Wecome to the forum! Another 'foreign member'

Such a pity Tomvet, thought I would have the easy option and get all the info from you. So I guess I don't have the lazy way out. We are going from the 1st April for a week on the Splendia. When are you going? Thanks for welcoming me to the forum

You may have to use your imagination at Carthage!!

We enjoyed our day in Sidi Bou Said..................the views from one restaurant's terrace was worth the visit.

We didn't do either from a cruise but from a land based holiday, did it the local way. (Train to Tunis and taxi to Sidi Bou Said.)

Thanks Diva for that info. Will probably do the Carthgage trip. I guess if we didn't it would be like coming to Ireland and not having a drink!

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Thanks Diva for that info. Will probably do the Carthgage trip. I guess if we didn't it would be like coming to Ireland and not having a drink!
    We are on the Fantasia on April 20th.
    We will havea 6 month old so the logistics may be a little more difficult. We intend to go to SBS and carthage - carthage does look like just a heap of stones and I have been to Pompeii, Jerash and Ephesus so the jury is still out on that one. SBS looks great and we would like to see the Souk and Bardo Museum also. If we did not have the baby we would whizz about using taxis and trams etc This time we have to make a choice - SBS and Carhage or Bardo and Souk. Since the pairs are on the opposite ends of the railway line it has to be that way. I would prefer to do Bardo and SBS.

We may just hire a taxi for the day when we get there and possiby pair up with others from the ship if at all possible!

We are a party of four so I assume it would be better if we hired a taxi....we all have great bargaining skills, so it will be interesting to see how we get on. Will let you know any tips on our return