Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Venice trip ashore

Hi, I'm going on Ocean Village in September and one of the ports is Venice. Now it doesn't look that large on Google earth, so I'm wondering how easy it is to find your way around without having to book the cruise excursion. Is it easy enough to find your way into the city from the dock? My wife will want a gondola trip - long queues? Any info about the water taxis or are there other modes of transport. As you can tell I'm bit of a novice. Any advice will be gratefully recd.;)

the vaporetto - water bus is great.

But Venice is well signposted and easily walkable.

getting from the ship?
    either a shuttle bus will be provided to Piazza Roma or a shuttle boat to St Mark's square. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to which one!

Meg

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    getting from the ship?
    either a shuttle bus will be provided to Piazza Roma or a shuttle boat to St Mark's square. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to which one!
    Or neither, you can catch a vaporetto to St.Mark's from the end of the pier where your ship docks. Or even walk to Piazza Roma and get a vaporetto there which will take you down the Grand Canal to St. Mark's.
    If you start at St. Mark's as early as you can you may catch the admission queues before they get too long.
    Venice is a small place but you won't be able to see it all in a day. You can't get lost, well you could, but not for long. See if you can get a tourist map or guide book to find the places you want to see. The trouble with tours is that they often include the obligatory glass factory ( a retail opportunity)
    And make sure you are on deck for a sailaway that will stay with you for the rest of your life!

But even better is the sail in!

Meg

Hi, I'm going on Ocean Village in September and one of the ports is Venice. Now it doesn't look that large on Google earth, so I'm wondering how easy it is to find your way around without having to book the cruise excursion. Is it easy enough to find your way into the city from the dock? My wife will want a gondola trip - long queues? Any info about the water taxis or are there other modes of transport. As you can tell I'm bit of a novice. Any advice will be gratefully recd.;)
    Venice is easily walkable - get a good map and plan where you want to go. One of the delights of Venice is to wander the back canals and see local life, away from the tourist areas. Guglie is a great area, with local markets and little restaurants that cook genuine Venetian food - and not the frozen pizza's etc of the touristy and very expensive, restaurants around Rialto and San Marco.

If you stand in Piazza san Marco, with your back towards the Basilica, and then walk up to the top right hand side of the square, you will find some small arcades with shops selling Venetian Masks - walk along there and you will come to the Basino Orseolo, a kind of parking space for Gondola's. This is the cheapest place in Venice to hire one, and be sure to negotiate the time you will have and the cost before you get in. It is much cheaper to hire a Gondola with four people in it.

You can also get Vaporetto No 1 from San Marco, which will take you virtually the whole length of The Grand Canal for about 6 euro's. You can buy a day ticket if you intend to use a few Vap's - much cheaper.

Any questions about Venice or Florence delighted to help - I have lived in both cities.

But even better is the sail in!
    Mmmmm.....sail in or sail out ???? What do people think ?

I hope to see both!!

Images
    That's a hard one! First time we sailed back in to Venice in the very early morning and it was the most magical experience. The whole place felt serene, slightly misty and hardly a soul anywhere. The gondola's just bobbed slightly in the movement of our wake and you couldn't believe the contrast of the city in the daytime.
    Next time we sailed out past St Marks square at around 5 in the evening and the place was buzzing! It looked so crowded and vibrant and I wondered what the people on land made of this magnificant cruise ship.
    So, the answer is either, both, you just can't go wrongCarol

Images

Thumbs up Venice on the OV

You can buy a ticket onboard or at the Quay to take a shuttle to St Marks Square. When you get off the ship just walk towards the dock gate and you will see it just as you clear the end of the ship.

Venice is easy to walk around but I would suggest taking the shuttle for a return trip it is only a few Euros more expensive than single.

When you get off the Gondala station is just a few yards to your left ;)

They will take you through the small canals

I would suggest you bext visit the Square, Cathedral and the palace.

Then walk through to the Rialto Bridge

it is not far but remember it will be warm a little further in from the Bridge you will find some reasonably priced bars for a snack and a glass of local wine. :D

Avoid the cafs on the squire or by the bridge very expensive and the food not that good. :D

Images
    Walk back to the bridge and catch a river bus back to the squire this will take you down the Grand Canal so you will see a lot without getting to tired

Now you just get the shuttle back to the ship

You will see other cruise ships on the way ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast