Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Venice

I wonder if anyone could give me a bit of advice.
    We are considering the possibility of a gondola ride in Venice.
    Reading around it seems that P&O's organised trips including gondola rides aren't that bad value? So that is a possibility.
    However I don't know how mobile I will be by August, so I was wondering a few things.
    Firstly, are the P&O trips likely to get booked up - will I be better booking now with the proviso that I can cancel nearer the date if I know I won't be able to do it? I worry about standing/queuing as well as being able to keep up with a group.
    Secondly, how mobile do you need to be to step onto and out of a gondola? Before the op I wouldn't have been able to do it for sure but at the moment of course it's a complete unknown for me.
    Thirdly, do children wear life jackets on gondolas?

I have been to Venice but it was a long time ago and I was far too poor to consider a gondola ride!

Hi britchic,
    Not long got back from cruise with P&O that included Venice. We did book a tour with them as we wanted to make sure we got our ride with no hassle of queing and wondering which one to go on. My husband has a slight disability, he has trouble with his balance and has to walk with a walking stick, and is slower at walking than the rest of us. The tour guide was very good as we advised her of this and kept checking to make sure we could still see her as it was very busy. As for getting in and out of the gondola, a bit hairy but as long as you take your time all should be ok. Go for it, we were glad we did. Hope this helps.

Anywhere you go in Venice involves a boat of some sort, you get in a water taxi to get from the ship to the central area. We just wandered about & soaked up the atmosphere. One warning, they will tell you not to buy fake goods as the police are "hot" on it...don't, they are!!

I've replied already, where has it disappeared to?!
    Sounds hopeful Lynn if your husband could manage it. I'm on crutches at the moment but should be a lot more mobile in August.
    Wasn't planning to buy any dodgy goods John - in fact not planning to buy anything at all but I expect my children will attempt to change my mind!

We weren't PLANNING to buy any (more) handbags but a guy came up to my wife & thrust a bag at her, natural rreaction is to take it....the police pounced on the pair of them....I sidled away looking in the Ferrari shop window... the vendor dropped the bags (I could see this from a safe distance) & ''legged it'' leaving a bemused pensioner surrounded by fake bags (& no husband)..no charges were brought....more drink was however required.

Oh dear. Yes I can see that would have called for a stiff drink.

Sailing out of Venice

The benefits of an Aft cabin!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful pic.

more!!

Gondolas for you!

Benefits of an Aft cabin #2

Sailing in at dawn just going past the Grand canal & St. Marc's...Having breakfast on the Balcony...memories eh??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast