Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Venice cruise holidays set for a detour?

<p>Cruise holidays visiting Venice could soon be a thing of the past after city officials admitted they were considering moving vessels away from the popular European hotspot.</p>
    <p>The plans are being proposed in a bid to reduce the environmental damage being caused by the arrival of increasingly large cruise vessels.</p>
    <p>Environmentalists and groups keen to preserve the classic architecture of Venice have called for the change, after noting the damage caused by cruise ships moving through the shallow Venetian lagoon.</p>
    <p>The head of the Venice port authority Paolo Costa is now set to meet with city mayor Giorgio Orsoni this Wednesday (December 14th) to discuss the problem.</p>
    <p>Speaking to the Corriere della Sera newspaper, Mr Orsoni said: &quot;The problem of these juggernauts of the sea needs to be confronted.&quot;</p>
    <p>Under the new plans, cruise ships arrivals and departures may be transferred to Porto Marghera, which is situated on the mainland of Italy.</p>
    <p>This decision reflects the increasing demand for cruise holidays with Venice proving no exception.</p>
    <p>The Daily Telegraph estimates that the number of cruise ships visiting Venice has risen from 200 in 2000 to 510 in 2007.</p>

Last edited by Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs; 12th December 2011 at 02:57 PM.

The risk of damage must be great. I remember how much the Ca' Rezzonico Palace on the Grand Canal swayed each time a small canal boat went by.

I have thoroughly enjoyed cruising in and out of Venice and viewing it from the top deck but must say I was dismayed when watching four large cruise ships (can't recall which, but included an MSC and Celebrity) leaving on the evening tide - we were on a small launch. Whilst grand in themselves they looked incongruous in the Canale de San Marco.

The Venetian Authorities will benefit from an increased demand for small boat trips around the lagoon and transport from Cruise Berth to Piazzale Roma.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    The risk of damage must be great. I remember how much the Ca' Rezzonico Palace on the Grand Canal swayed each time a small canal boat went by.

I have thoroughly enjoyed cruising in and out of Venice and viewing it from the top deck but must say I was dismayed when watching four large cruise ships (can't recall which, but included an MSC and Celebrity) leaving on the evening tide - we were on a small launch. Whilst grand in themselves they looked incongruous in the Canale de San Marco.

The Venetian Authorities will benefit from an increased demand for small boat trips around the lagoon and transport from Cruise Berth to Piazzale Roma.
    This could also be interpreted as yet another money making opportunity for cruise lines and taxi coimpanies And the typical view entering a commercial port is usually very dull.

I would fully support the city authorities in preserving that lovely city and if that means banning cruise liners then so be it. However one of my greatest cruising pleasures was sailing into Venice on the Costa Serena in the early morning and feasting on the spectacular view of Venice... such a wonderful city. We then had time to walk from the dock and spend a few hours at St Marks Square before needing to return to the shop and collect our luggage for home. A truly memorable experience

Where does this leave people like myself,who has already booked for 2012 (May) and have booked a flight from Venice.

Have they considered the drop in tourist revenue?

Where does this leave people like myself,who has already booked for 2012 (May) and have booked a flight from Venice
    If council planning is anything to go by, i estimate it will be a few years before this proposal is 'law.'

2010 we experienced 7 cruise ships on the same day and Venice became impossible to get around PITY

cruise VENICE

Where does this leave people like myself,who has already booked for 2012 (May) and have booked a flight from Venice.
    We have also booked a Med cruise for my 60th in May 2012 and I chose this cruise because one of the ports is Venice! Do we know if any changes will be as soon as next year? It is such a beautiful place to visit by ship it is magical........
    Although I do agree if the ships are effecting the area there must be something done to preserve it!!!

Visit to Venice Oct 2010 was hectic regarding cruise ships,there were 9 ships berthed in the main port, 2 captains of P&O ships swapped berth slots,which to be honest made it easier for us on Arcadia.So all in all 10 ships that day.

Visit to Venice Oct 2010 was hectic regarding cruise ships,there were 9 ships berthed in the main port, 2 captains of P&O ships swapped berth slots,which to be honest made it easier for us on Arcadia.So all in all 10 ships that day.
    Yes, I can see the problem. We visited on the Queen Victoria 2009 I think there was then just 2 ships that day! It would be such a shame not to visit there as it was such a magical experience, that is why I want to do it again next year! And again the money that the visitors must generate each visit, I really dont know what the answer is!!!!! I wish did!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast