Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Cruise ships may be banned from Venice

just found this little piece

Cruise ships could be shut out of Venice over erosion fears - Telegraph

They may have to dock on the mainland at Porto Marghera that will make it harder to walk back to the ship

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    just found this little piece

Cruise ships could be shut out of Venice over erosion fears - Telegraph

They may have to dock on the mainland at Porto Marghera that will make it harder to walk back to the ship
    It certainly will.

Let's hope the smaller vessels will continue to be allowed. I thought they were building a new port anyway, is that its location?

This is not the 1st time that this issue has been mentioned i seem to remember a very similar report a couple of years ago! here is another on the same subject?

22/05/2011

Venice split over cruise giants 'wrecking' its heart

John Follain, Sunday Times 22 May 2011

Nearly 1.6m tourists visited Venice on a cruise last year

For the millions of holidaymakers who arrive in Venice on giant cruise liners, the highlight is the spectacular view over St Mark's Square and the Doge's palace from the upper decks.

For many Venetians that vista comes at too high a price. Convinced that cruise ships threaten their fragile city, campaigners are asking for them to be banned from passing so close to the city's historic heart.

"When the ships go past my house, the walls and the windows shake," said Severino Rigo, a former IBM executive who lives on St Mark's Basin, near St Mark's Square. Cruise ships and ferries pass his home before heading down the Giudecca Canal on their way to the main passenger terminal.

"I get cruise ships docking outside my house, and the vibrations from their propellers feel like power drills," said Rigo, who chairs the local residents' association.

Nearly 1.6m tourists visited Venice on a cruise last year, compared with fewer than 100,000 in 1999, making the city the most popular destination in the Mediterranean alongside Barcelona.

Matteo Secchi, head of the protest group Venessia.com, said the ships threatened the stability of the many palaces and houses on St Mark's Basin and Giudecca. "These gigantic ships displace masses of water, which wrecks the banks and erodes the marble walls of the houses and their underwater foundations," he said.

"So much for a car-free city. A cruise ship pollutes as much as 40,000 cars. You can really smell the sulphur from the smoke." Protest groups are also concerned that the ships' propellers threaten their lagoon's delicate ecosystem.

"It's the paradox typical of Venice. The cruise ships bring work to the city - the city lives off tourism - so they're good for Venice. But at the same time they're killing the city because of the damage they cause," said Secchi, a hotelier.

In a joint appeal, 14 local groups have appealed to politicians and officials to ban large ships from St Mark's Basin.

Instead, they want them to pass through the Malamocco Canal to the south or visit a new "offshore harbour" that would be built in the Gulf of Venice, outside the lagoon. Holidaymakers would be ferried to and from the city - famed for its gondolas - on small boats.

The Venice port authority insists its monitoring shows that the cruise liners cause no damage to buildings and that air and noise pollution are well within legal limits. "We're facing a bottomless demand for cruises to Venice," said Paolo Costa, the port authority's president. "To the few thousand protesters, I say that millions of visitors come by cruise liners, and many more millions would like to come."

For Secchi, the giant vessels pose an alarming potential threat. "These ships have to go pretty fast to stay on course, but what if the captain of one of them loses control for some reason and a cruise ship smashes into the Doge's Palace?" he asked.

]

Images
    This is not the 1st time that this issue has been mentioned i seem to remember a very similar report a couple of years ago! here is another on the same subject?

22/05/2011

Venice split over cruise giants 'wrecking' its heart

John Follain, Sunday Times 22 May 2011

Nearly 1.6m tourists visited Venice on a cruise last year

For the millions of holidaymakers who arrive in Venice on giant cruise liners, the highlight is the spectacular view over St Mark's Square and the Doge's palace from the upper decks.

For many Venetians that vista comes at too high a price. Convinced that cruise ships threaten their fragile city, campaigners are asking for them to be banned from passing so close to the city's historic heart.

"When the ships go past my house, the walls and the windows shake," said Severino Rigo, a former IBM executive who lives on St Mark's Basin, near St Mark's Square. Cruise ships and ferries pass his home before heading down the Giudecca Canal on their way to the main passenger terminal.

"I get cruise ships docking outside my house, and the vibrations from their propellers feel like power drills," said Rigo, who chairs the local residents' association.

Nearly 1.6m tourists visited Venice on a cruise last year, compared with fewer than 100,000 in 1999, making the city the most popular destination in the Mediterranean alongside Barcelona.

Matteo Secchi, head of the protest group Venessia.com, said the ships threatened the stability of the many palaces and houses on St Mark's Basin and Giudecca. "These gigantic ships displace masses of water, which wrecks the banks and erodes the marble walls of the houses and their underwater foundations," he said.

"So much for a car-free city. A cruise ship pollutes as much as 40,000 cars. You can really smell the sulphur from the smoke." Protest groups are also concerned that the ships' propellers threaten their lagoon's delicate ecosystem.

"It's the paradox typical of Venice. The cruise ships bring work to the city - the city lives off tourism - so they're good for Venice. But at the same time they're killing the city because of the damage they cause," said Secchi, a hotelier.

In a joint appeal, 14 local groups have appealed to politicians and officials to ban large ships from St Mark's Basin.

Instead, they want them to pass through the Malamocco Canal to the south or visit a new "offshore harbour" that would be built in the Gulf of Venice, outside the lagoon. Holidaymakers would be ferried to and from the city - famed for its gondolas - on small boats.

The Venice port authority insists its monitoring shows that the cruise liners cause no damage to buildings and that air and noise pollution are well within legal limits. "We're facing a bottomless demand for cruises to Venice," said Paolo Costa, the port authority's president. "To the few thousand protesters, I say that millions of visitors come by cruise liners, and many more millions would like to come."

For Secchi, the giant vessels pose an alarming potential threat. "These ships have to go pretty fast to stay on course, but what if the captain of one of them loses control for some reason and a cruise ship smashes into the Doge's Palace?" he asked.
    It has been debated for years but the latest update looks like it may happen sooner than later, so those that have not sailed into Venice need to get their cruise booked soon.

Images
    An overnight at a port near Venice might be an alternative with proper transportation meeting standards of today.
    The question is I guess , are the ships doing the damage or the tourists . Was it not this same city wanting a tax on any form of transportation taken a year ago?

Rob
    Next Cruise:> My Blog robbarcruises.wordpress.com

Images
    It is possible to walk into Venice from where a ship is docked. You can take a short ride by bus and walk over a bridge, You do need a good map though of Venice its self so you don't get lost or you can tag onto one of the natives who seem to know where they are going.

It is now. It won't be if this change is brought through.
    You can understand people not being so happy at their house shaking when a cruise ship sits outside though.

It is possible to walk into Venice from where a ship is docked. You can take a short ride by bus and walk over a bridge, You do need a good map though of Venice its self so you don't get lost or you can tag onto one of the natives who seem to know where they are going.

Images
    I walked into Venice when I wasn't on a cruise. We were doing a tour of Italy. Surely they won't close the bridge altogether when the natives us it?

Images
    So pleased we got our wish this September. Everyone had said how fantastic the sail in and out was... they were not wrong.
    However I can understand the concerns. There were 7 ships in when we were there. One was docked just outside some houses and we were told they hate it when so many are there and have to dock away from the main berths. Overlooked and having their light blocked.
    Yes, anyone who has never been.. do it while you have the chance.
    We will go back one day hopefully, regardless!

*Carol M*

So pleased we got our wish this September. Everyone had said how fantastic the sail in and out was... they were not wrong.
    However I can understand the concerns. There were 7 ships in when we were there. One was docked just outside some houses and we were told they hate it when so many are there and have to dock away from the main berths. Overlooked and having their light blocked.
    Yes, anyone who has never been.. do it while you have the chance.
    We will go back one day hopefully, regardless!
    We are going in March/April next year on a small ship (Saga Saphire) Just keep it open till then. I have been before but my Jillie hasn't so we can't spoil it for her can we?
    Ta ra,
    Alan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast