Images

Tourist''s tax to be introduced in Venice

I have just read that a tourist tax is to shortly introduced in Venice, halfprice for children.

Now bearing in mind Venice is one of the most expensive holiday destinations,do you think

this will affect the number of visitor's and will it be introduced to cruise ships?

What's your opinion? CG

Think a lot of people's opinions are captured on this one:
    http://www.cruises.co.uk/109-cruise_..._tourists.html

Last edited by tomvet, limerick, roi; 27th July 2011 at 08:25 AM.

Images
    CG,
    I didn't catch the original thread. Personally, I think if it was put towards restoring and maintaining the wonderful architecture then I wouldn't complain too much!
    Regards
    PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Images
    Well tom I didn't see it before and perhaps there are a few OP's beside myself who might have missed it .CG

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Tom,
    Nice to see you have edited your original response!
    Regards
    PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Well tom I didn't see it before and perhaps there are a few OP's beside myself who might have missed it .CG
    Quite clearly you had not!

Tom,
    Nice to see you have edited your original response!
    Regards
    PM
    Yes! It's a very handy tool to have on the forum, you may have occasion to use it yourself from time to time.

Images
    I remember that thread from last year and here is my original reply from back in October 2010 post #9 and Tomvet was post #7
    Still stand by my comments.

I can agree with a small tax on Cruise Ship passengers as it is not a normal way of commuting, meaning you all must be tourists and the rate should be part of the port charge collected on your fare.

Plane travel has a mix of travellers being tourists, business and people who live in Venice and local areas. The question is should this be part of the airport tax in the fare itself or ignored. I see problems here as it is not equal.
    Train travel to be are people normally commuting and some tourists, in essence a tax to use rails which does not leave buses or cars as the next step.

You might be better off to leave it at cruise passengers, international plane and increase the hotel tax.

In London they charge a tax for car congestion control which effects all who travel to the inner part of London excluding Tube, Buses , even bikes. In Boston they charge a toll tax for driving from the Airport under the tunnel.

It is nice to say I do not mind a few whatever but you have to look at the impact on the citizens and separate the visitors to be fair. If I lived in Venice I'd not be hapoy to pay a tax when I used the Train to commute and if I used the plane, in essence another tax on the airport tax I pay.
    If I visit the British Musum though it is free, I'm prepared to pay a small fee which is perhaps is what the Italian Government should do, tax at the places you visit and at the cruise port.

Rob
    Next Cruise:> My Blog robbarcruises.wordpress.com

Images
    Thanks Rob, A much nicer response.CG