Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Venice what to do

Evening

Going to Venice on Celebrity Eclipse end of August.
    Susie had a knee replacement and is still recovering.
    Ideas for trips and Must see would be appreciated bearing in mind no long walks or masses of stairs!

Homer

Images
    Homer, I was going to suggest the water bus that will take you to all the sights but I guess that depends on how difficult that would be for Susie to get on and off boats- I've seen many disabled people manage so I'm guessing she will be ok. She might even manage to get on and off a Gondola if you fancy doing that.

St Marks Square is a must of course but if you decide to relax and have a coffee in the square- beware because it will cost you a few quid.

The Cathedral and the Doges Palace, the Bridge if Sighs, The Rialto Bridge are all easily accessed if you use the water bus.

I shall be sailing in and out of Venice in october- I've been told it's a must do!. I have only been whilst on an Italian touring holiday before.

I love Venice and I hope you do too.

Jill

Images
    Get a good map and guide book before you go... its level for walking about.. except for few small bridges.. the water bus no 1 is good for getting around and seeing the sites from the water.

many thanks for the replies.
    The day in Venice is the same as the boat race and I beleive the city will be more crowded than usual!
    We thought of a ships tour so that if late they would have to wait but theres nothing that catches the eye so to speak.
    Will look into the waterbus but I suppose it depends where the ship berths

hi homer ,were on your cruise weve spoke before ,im currently in talks with celebrity they are putting me in contact with a tour operator who will get a water bus for us and take us to st marks square then bring us back to the ship later ,my husband cant walk far he has heart faliure and uses a buggy ,the email address is shorexAccess@rccl.com shore excusions and explorations dept tell them your wife cant walk round venice and ask about this trip .

Images
    Homer you should be able to buy the ships shuttle boat ticket for about $15-$20, expensive I know but this may be the best/easiest option for Susie. you will be dropped off near St Marks sq. from there it is easy to get around the city. hubbie paid about 25 euros for two coffees in St Marks Sq but then he did get 2 small glasses of water with them!!!! LOL you can stroll around Venice at your own pace. it is a beautiful city, hope you both enjoy it.

have a great cruise.

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

A better buy is the 12hour ticket at 16 for the vaporetto or waterbus which gives you unlimited travel all day. So you can sail up and down the Grand Canal as long as you want, go out to the islands like Murano or do the circular trip around Venice.
    Brian

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    A better buy is the 12hour ticket at 16 for the vaporetto or waterbus which gives you unlimited travel all day. So you can sail up and down the Grand Canal as long as you want, go out to the islands like Murano or do the circular trip around Venice.
    Brian
    Many thanks
    now that sound interesting!

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Many thanks
    now that sound interesting!
    Information here with route maps
    Venice Vaporetto Routes - Water Buses - Venice for Visitors
    Route map
    http://www.actv.it/pdf/navigazione/Mappa_linee.pdf
    Brian

Last edited by Ingle, Warwickshire; 22nd June 2011 at 08:49 PM.

Images
    Have to agree with Ingle. The very back of the vaporetto is in the open so a good place to be, there are only a few seats but people are getting on and off all the time. You can just stay on for as long as you like and it is a great way to travel and just see all the sights. If you go out to Burano it is only a two minute stroll to the main town area and very flat, it is also very compact so easy to do.

Love Venice so very jealous, have a great time..Carol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast