Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi Hat
    Eating in public in Venice is actually illegal,you may get away with eating a sandwich,but don't try a picnic.
    Venice is also the rip-off capitol of Europe when it comes to charging different prices to different nationalities,a fact recognised by the authorities who will prosecute offending bar owners if you complain.
    A coffee can often be 5euro for an American + 70c for Venetian.
    Always ask price if no price list is seen.Even then they will add surcharges on you don't know about.
    Great place to visit but be aware.
    Or when asking for the bill say,,,"Fa me el conto" which is "Bring me the bill" in Venetian.
    JC
    Thanks for the advice JC.

What I find amazing is why some people always consider places a rip-off (there is actually a thread on rip-offs).

In this current location there is an amazing atmosphere, thousands from all over the the world milling around, the rich aroma of coffee and many cafes providing nice music. We are on holiday and some Brits complain of rip-offs: the mind truly boggles.

After all, this isn't the back end of Portsmouth or even Lee front, it's Venice.

Images
    Your information on Venice is great, do you have any for Livornio how to get to Pisa making your own way
    Regards
    Shudow
    Good morning Shudow.

Yes, here is the link to my Florence and Pisa from Livorno:-

http://www.cruises.co.uk/298-western..._florence.html

Images
    Thanks for the advice JC.

What I find amazing is why some people always consider places a rip-off (there is actually a thread on rip-offs).

In this current location there is an amazing atmosphere, thousands from all over the the world milling around, the rich aroma of coffee and many cafes providing nice music. We are on holiday and some Brits complain of rip-offs: the mind truly boggles.

After all, this isn't the back end of Portsmouth or even Lee front, it's Venice.
    Hi Richard
    I love Venice,and i am aware of the prices,which don't bother me,take it or leave it.
    The rip-offs i refer to is the extra charges that you don't know about until you get your bill,the differing price structures for different nationalities.
    Even the Venice Tourist Board refers to it as Rip-Offs,the local Venetian Govt have had a major crack down on the practice.
    Are you saying its quite allowable to do that.
    On the Riff-Off thread its purely about the price of things on board ship.
    This is a completely different thing.
    I'll give you an example,,,,The few times i have been to Venice i scour the backstreets for churches to seek out great paintings,one day i popped into a little corner bar and ordered a Macchiato the same as the Italian chap stood next to me,he slapped 1 euro on the bar top,so i followed with 1 euro.
    Two Yanks along the bar asked for the bill for the same drinks.barman said 6 euros.
    You should have seen the kerfuffle the Yanks caused.
    Would you have walked out and said nothing?
    JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    The Guardian,,,,, Newspaper of the Year.

Images
    Your information on Venice is great, do you have any for Livornio how to get to Pisa making your own way
    Regards
    Shudow
    Hi Shudow
    2 weeks ago in Livorno i got off ship and got in a taxi (people carrier).
    There was 8 of us and it cost 100 euro.
    Took us to Pisa (20 min) waited 1.5hrs then brought us back to Livorno.
    JC

Hi Hat
    Eating in public in Venice is actually illegal,you may get away with eating a sandwich,but don't try a picnic.
    Venice is also the rip-off capitol of Europe when it comes to charging different prices to different nationalities,a fact recognised by the authorities who will prosecute offending bar owners if you complain.
    A coffee can often be 5euro for an American + 70c for Venetian.
    Always ask price if no price list is seen.Even then they will add surcharges on you don't know about.
    Great place to visit but be aware.
    Or when asking for the bill say,,,"Fa me el conto" which is "Bring me the bill" in Venetian.
    JC
    My husband and I both speak Italian. But he is much more fluent than I am. He better start practicing his Venetian accent.
    There actually were notices in the Piazza saying it was not permitted to feed the pigeons, eat in the piazza or sit on the steps.

Images
    Hi Richard
    I love Venice,and i am aware of the prices,which don't bother me,take it or leave it.
    The rip-offs i refer to is the extra charges that you don't know about until you get your bill,the differing price structures for different nationalities.
    Even the Venice Tourist Board refers to it as Rip-Offs,the local Venetian Govt have had a major crack down on the practice.
    Are you saying its quite allowable to do that.
    On the Riff-Off thread its purely about the price of things on board ship.
    This is a completely different thing.
    I'll give you an example,,,,The few times i have been to Venice i scour the backstreets for churches to seek out great paintings,one day i popped into a little corner bar and ordered a Macchiato the same as the Italian chap stood next to me,he slapped 1 euro on the bar top,so i followed with 1 euro.
    Two Yanks along the bar asked for the bill for the same drinks.barman said 6 euros.
    You should have seen the kerfuffle the Yanks caused.
    Would you have walked out and said nothing?
    JC
    Quite frankly JC I would not stand at a bar to drink coffee, and certainly not in Venice, let alone make a point of noting what others in the bar drank, even if they were Americans.

There is a little more to my life.

Images
    Richard what do you think about Venice as a destination - we've been there a number of times and the last time decided to do some more research and not just follow the mandatory route you described so well. I was amazed how much there was to see.
    I always tell people to go on deck when the ship is sailing into our Valletta harbour to get a 360 degree view and appreciate it all. Well Venice is even more so. Don't just stay in your balcony - you'll miss so much it would be a shame.
    We saw a group of Americans take some chairs from one of the cafes and sat down to rest while hearing the music .. you can imagine how quickly the waiters came to retreive the chairs.
    There are so many ultra smart waiters on duty I don't know how the cafe makes a profit (but I'm sure they do)
    Some other Americans bought food from a delicatesen and opened the wrappings on the platforms in the Piazza (those to walk on when there is flooding ) and had a pic nic.
    Venice is a great place Hat. Though we do this walk on most visits please understand it is not so cut and dried. The purpose of this thread was to indicate to those who have never been before just what can be done.

We regularly deviate from the route in order to seek out something new, particularly in the way of food, glass or, in my case, Italian shoes.

The Hidden Grand Canal, Venice
    Murano Glass shop, Venice

I agree Richard. You CAN'T go to Venice and not do your walk.
    What do you think about Burano ? We hadn't realised the trip would take so long. It's a charming island but we felt we were on some Greek island and not in Venice.

Images
    Quite frankly JC I would not stand at a bar to drink coffee, and certainly not in Venice, let alone make a point of noting what others in the bar drank, even if they were Americans.

There is a little more to my life.
    Hi Richard
    And theres me thinking drinking coffee at a bar in Italy,is the only way to drink coffee.
    That is what life is about.
    I bet youv'e had a Bellini in Harry's Bar as well,,,just to say "I went to Harry's Bar"or as they say up here "Look at me,i'm Sandra Dee".

JC

Hi

We're going to Venice on Oriana in July/August this year, however we are due to berth at Riva Sette Martiri rather than Marittima (there are 7 other ships berthed!).

It looks as though this location may be slightly more convenient for St. Mark's etc. but I was wondering if anyone else had berthed there previously and could advise?

Thanks in advance

LC

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast