Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Venice

Venice

can anyone tell me the best way to visit venice on your own, do the cruise company RCI charge for taking you to st marks square.

Images
    Venice is incredibly easy to do on your own. There is now a passenger monorail from the port that will drop you close to Piazzale Roma and from there you can buy a 16hr(I think!) vaparetto ticket which you can use to travel around the canals on. Just validate your ticket in the machine before you board and then find the information boards which are at every stop to navigate your way around. The ticket will take you out to
    the islands of Murano and Burano, Torcello and Lido if you fancy going slightly further afield.
    Loads of info on the internet and this site and it is a beautiful destination. Don't miss the sail in or out, both of which are magical...Carol

Thank you very much for the info very interesting

Images
    It definitely one of those wow places the views we had on the starboard side on arrival, I will remember for ever, enjoy your visit.

Bill Byth

Website http://billblyth.co.uk

Thanks for that

Images
    We were in Venice last September & didn't know anything about the monorail! Thanks Carol!

As we are back there again this year, I have just done a bit of fishing around and found this site:

Venice People Mover - Venice for Visitors

Quite a lot of info.

Lizzie.

Lizzie

Images
    Last year, we did a circular cruise on NCL Gem sailing from Venice and it is one of the most beautiful places to sail away from... matched only by the spectacular return. I have treasured memories of arriving back there at dawn and hearing the bells chiming everywhere. We flew out 3 days before the cruise (staying at the Hotel Olimpia), and spent the time exploring both on foot (take comfy shoes - the cobbles can be tiring) and by water, (buying extended passes on the vaparettos). The vaparettos are a great way to see the city and exploring the off islands fairly cheaply. Hubby & I both agreed that Venice has all the beauty of Rome but without the noise/pollution fumes of the Roman road traffic and instead fills the ears with birdsong. Given the chance, we would return there in a heartbeat!

You are going to have an incredible time there - enjoy!

I've been to Venice twice by cruise ship. Last year we had a starboard balcony and the sail in, early morning with breakfast on the balcony was magical!

Images
    Sailing into Venice, as viewed from our balcony...

Images
    Lizzie, you are not the only one, we were there in November and didn't spot it until we were getting back on the ship!
    Will try it out in May and see how easy it is..Carol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast