Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Venice plans entry fee for tourists

Venice may have been voted the world's favourite port of call, but it's in desperate need of a few pennies...

The Italian government has put together a plan which, if approved, will allow Venetian authorities to charge an entry fee for visitors who arrive by plane, train or cruise ship.

The cost of the tax is still being discussed, but it is unlikely to be high.

Monies raised will go towards the restoration of crumbling palaces, churches and monuments.

Venice receives more than 20 million people every year, but many of them only stay for a day and bring a packed lunch, leaving the lagoon city in desperate need of revenue.

Would you mind paying to visit Venice? What do think would be a reasonable charge? Or, do you think they should raise funds another way? Perhaps if Venice wasn't such an expensive city to visit, tourists would be prepared to spend more?

Images
    I loved Venice, felt as though I was in a 'film set', wonderful.

I would be happy to pay a 'tax' say E5 per person.

It does not have to be expensive, look for the bars and restaurants, away from the 'popular spots' brilliant food inexpensive wines..............

Wish I was there right now..................

Lizzie

I've not yet visited Venice but definitely want to (from a ship of course).

I wouldn't mind paying a tax to help preserve the place but I don't know how much I'd be prepared to pay.

Ten Euros for sure.............probably more.

Bob

Images
    I would willingly pay a "tax" to enter Venice to help restore its fabulous buildings.
    Spent a week there exploring when OH was working.
    Most wonderful memories.

Venice is a wonderful. place i agree but in today's economic climate to impose a tax on tourism is like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs

Images
    Put me down for a fiver, no problem, not been to Venice yet but its on our itinerary for next year.
    As I understand it, there is no other place like it, and if it needs support then it should get it by whatever means it can.

Cruisings Cool

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Venice is a wonderful. place i agree but in today's economic climate to impose a tax on tourism is like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs
    I agree. Personally I would pay the tax of 5 as already suggested by Lizzie and on an individual basis I think most would but taxes seem to gets people back up.

As part of IRL's desperate measures to get back on track it imposed a 10 air departure tax and it killed the tourist trade - not helped by Michael O Leary and Ryanair pulling so many routes from our airports - so now potential tourist have no way of getting here. Similarly if the Venetian auhorities impose a tax the airlines and cruise ships may just give the place a wide berth. Taxing people discourages spending. In fact incentivising people to visit thru lower hotel rates (the Spanish Govt is actively reducing airport taxes and subsidising over 55s to come to spain and spend in restaurants, attractions etc), lower port taxes (the cruise lines will go to VCE rather than Dubrovnik if the charges are lower) - will get more people in, who spend money and improve the economy. You are likely to buy a cappucino in the museum coffee shop that cost 10 rather than the one that cost 30 - because even subconciously we all budget per day and if all your budget is eaten in entry fees it means less spending on discernibles - you are more likely to return to the ship for lunch.

Also how do you charge for it? Per Diem basis? Once off fee? If you stay longer is it not only fair to pay more? It leaves a lot of questions and debates? Do you limit number of people visiting? That may help the crumbling buildings but I am sure the hotle owner would have something else to say? Not an easy one!

I think they have this one wrong!

Last edited by tomvet, limerick, roi; 18th October 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Images
    I agree. .

As part of IRL's desperate measures to get back on track it imposed a 10 air departure tax
    You're lucky 10 ~8.30 is dirt cheap here are the UK rates

From 1 November 2009 a four destination band structure based on geographical distance from London applies, each having two rates of duty depending upon the class of travel, so there are eight different rates of duty

Bands are mostly based on the distance between London and the capital city of the destination country/territory.
    Standard rates:
    Band A (0 - 2,000 miles) 22
    Band B (2,001 - 4,000 miles) 90
    Band C (4,001 - 6,000 miles) 100
    Band D (over 6,000 miles) 110
    Reduced rates:
    Band A (0 - 2,000 miles) 11
    Band B (2,001 - 4,000 miles) 45
    Band C (4,001 - 6,000 miles) 50
    Band D (over 6,000 miles) 55

Pete

Pete

If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Images

Venice may have been voted the world's favourite port of call, but it's in desperate need of a few pennies...

The Italian government has put together a plan which, if approved, will allow Venetian authorities to charge an entry fee for visitors who arrive by plane, train or cruise ship.

The cost of the tax is still being discussed, but it is unlikely to be high.

Monies raised will go towards the restoration of crumbling palaces, churches and monuments.

Venice receives more than 20 million people every year, but many of them only stay for a day and bring a packed lunch, leaving the lagoon city in desperate need of revenue.

Would you mind paying to visit Venice? What do think would be a reasonable charge? Or, do you think they should raise funds another way? Perhaps if Venice wasn't such an expensive city to visit, tourists would be prepared to spend more?
    I can agree with a small tax on Cruise Ship passengers as it is not a normal way of commuting, meaning you all must be tourists and the rate should be part of the port charge collected on your fare.

Plane travel has a mix of travellers being tourists, business and people who live in Venice and local areas. The question is should this be part of the airport tax in the fare itself or ignored. I see problems here as it is not equal.
    Train travel to be are people normally commuting and some tourists, in essence a tax to use rails which does not leave buses or cars as the next step.

You might be better off to leave it at cruise passengers, international plane and increase the hotel tax.

In London they charge a tax for car congestion control which effects all who travel to the inner part of London excluding Tube, Buses , even bikes. In Boston they charge a toll tax for driving from the Airport under the tunnel.

It is nice to say I do not mind a few whatever but you have to look at the impact on the citizens and separate the visitors to be fair. If I lived in Venice I'd not be hapoy to pay a tax when I used the Train to commute and if I used the plane, in essence another tax on the airport tax I pay.
    If I visit the British Musum though it is free, I'm prepared to pay a small fee which is perhaps is what the Italian Government should do, tax at the places you visit and at the cruise port.

Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 18th October 2010 at 05:09 AM.
    Rob
    Next Cruise:> My Blog robbarcruises.wordpress.com

I can agree with a small tax on Cruise Ship passengers as it is not a normal way of commuting, meaning you all must be tourists and the rate should be part of the port charge collected on your fare.

Plane travel has a mix of travellers being tourists, business and people who live in Venice and local areas. The question is should this be part of the airport tax in the fare itself or ignored. I see problems here as it is not equal.
    Train travel to be are people normally commuting and some tourists, in essence a tax to use rails which does not leave buses or cars as the next step.

You might be better off to leave it at cruise passengers, international plane and increase the hotel tax.

In London they charge a tax for car congestion control which effects all who travel to the inner part of London excluding Tube, Buses , even bikes. In Boston they charge a toll tax for driving from the Airport under the tunnel.

It is nice to say I do not mind a few whatever but you have to look at the impact on the citizens and separate the visitors to be fair. If I lived in Venice I'd not be hapoy to pay a tax when I used the Train to commute and if I used the plane, in essence another tax on the airport tax I pay.
    If I visit the British Musum though it is free, I'm prepared to pay a small fee which is perhaps is what the Italian Government should do, tax at the places you visit and at the cruise port.
    I agree with every word you said

I was going to comment but I would just be repeating your comments so you have saved me a bit of time Rob

Regards
    Lynn

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast