Images

Post Oslo trajedy: Cruise Impact

Following the terrible attacks in Oslo over the weekend, just one cruise line will be pulling out from a scheduled stop there.

The Costa Magica, which was due to call at the Norwegian capital this Saturday, will visit Kristiansand instead. The line will resume calls to Oslo next week.

MSC Orchestra was in port at the time of the attacks but departed without incident. The cruise line provided this statement: "MSC Cruises reports that the cruise ship has not suffered any damages and that all passengers came back from excursions as planned. All guests are now safe on board and the cruise will follow its original schedule."

Thousands of Norwegians have been holding mass rallies across the country to remember the 76 victims.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said: "By taking part, you are saying a resounding 'yes' to democracy."

Crown Prince Haakon said "the streets are filled with love".

Anders Behring Breivik appeared in court earlier today. He accepted responsibility for the attacks but denied they were an act of terrorism.

Source: BBC News

I am glad that the lines are continuing pretty much as normal. I assume that Norway's streets have never been safer.

Its a relief that this is not systemic terrorism.

Our prayers are with the families of the deceased.

Images
    As you say Tomvet, this nutter doesn't seem to be connected to any other group. I hope security forces everywhere will learn from this atrocity, 90 minutes seems an awfully long time to get emergency sevices to the island. Judith

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    As you say Tomvet, this nutter doesn't seem to be connected to any other group. I hope security forces everywhere will learn from this atrocity, 90 minutes seems an awfully long time to get emergency sevices to the island. Judith
    And during those 90 min who knows how many of the terrified youngsters were in contact with family on their mobile phones. And some of them may have died .

Images
    Yes it may appear to be a long time, however, when you consider the police and emergency services were reacting to the bombing incident in Oslo at the same time it is understandable to a degree.
    A tragic incident.
    PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Yes it may appear to be a long time, however, when you consider the police and emergency services were reacting to the bombing incident in Oslo at the same time it is understandable to a degree.
    A tragic incident.
    PM
    Quite a valid point PM. Did I hear today that there is another loolaah at large up there? This makes it more worrying that there may be either a syndicate or copycat out there. This will not help Norwegian tourism at all.

What I find disturbing is that the Police couldn't use their helicopter. One official said that many officers were on leave which is no excuse. Surely the Army have a helicopter the Police could have used.
    Apparently a News Channel had a helicopter in the air so couldn't the Police have commandeered that in such an Emergency ? When you realise that the man surrendered immediately the Police arrived, just think how gutted the families , particularly those whose children were killed towards the end of the ordeal, must be feeling