Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    The irony is, if one wishes to take an ultra luxury cruise as well as having other holidays, one has had to have had a reasonable lottery win or a job which provides the appropriate income [disregarding inherited wealth]. This often means the traveller is not a youngster and probably the children will be teenagers or have flown the nest.
    Yes of course, and I am not pining away for a luxury cruise - at the moment any cruise at all would be just wonderful I assure you!:D

Images
    Yes of course, and I am not pining away for a luxury cruise - at the moment any cruise at all would be just wonderful I assure you!:D
    I am TOTALLY with you on that one Britchic.

Images
    Have a look at the OV it is ok cheap and has an exhalant itinerary

300 sq ft cabin small???

LOL.

Images
    300 sq ft cabin small???

LOL.
    To Peter it is a wardrobe have a look in the photo section at some of the cabins he has booked :D
    It is another world to most

Main Stream v Luxury

The main reason why main stream cruise lines are more popular than the luxury end of the industry is cost. The same reason why you see more Ford motorcars on the road than Rolls Royces. I have only travelled on a luxury cruise once (Silversea, it was the best cruise I have been on) while have travelled on mainstream lines over 30 times. Silversea Shadow was formal but not stuffy, the fellow guests were friendly and I suppose as they automatically assumed everyone else onboard was fairly weathly class and status was never an issue. This is not always the case on the mass market fleets where I have encounted that some passengers who purchase a Suite feel and act superior to those in a standard cabin. So which is the best I feel that if cost is no problem use the luxury cruise lines. However, this is not the case with me, and I get more enjoyment in having two or three cruises on the mass market lines than one cruise albeit a better cruise experience on a luxury ship for a similar cost.

I agree.

I travelled on Azamara last year and they were very good but have just returned from a cruise on Oceania.

Exactly the same ships (ex Renaissance 'R' ships) but Oceania seem to have got the formula right and I would classify them as luxury. In every department they had the edge over Azamara. Although I can't judge their excursions because both companies massively overcharge - so I do my own.
    Glad you enjoyed Oceania. It was our first cruise and it was so good it's put me off booking with anyone else.

Although it was expensive compared to RCI, P&O etc have to say we spent very little on-board. As you say the excursion prices are high. However there are no extra charges for the speciality restaurants which are good but I have to say I found the food in the buffet restaurant fantastic. We never had to get up to get iced water or coffee, the service is fantastic. All the coffees, ice creams, smoothies, iced teas etc are free too. We aren't big drinkers and house wine wasn't too expensive. They don't go out of their way to push things in your face to extract your money either. No photographer!

It won't suit everyone with the smart casual dress code, no formal dining and low key entertainment but I have to say it's a classy line. As you say they seem to have got the formula right and I felt it was money well spent well it was our Ruby Wedding anniversary! Our cruise agent advises me that the cruises book up very quickly so to get what you want you do need to book early. I've checked and he's right, they do.

Last edited by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear; 14th August 2010 at 01:42 AM.

Paul Gaugan (I dont know how to spell it) looked pretty special. Anyone been with them?

There are so many beautiful places are available in Dubai when you have a complete Dubai City Tour then you come to know about the beauty of Dubai.

Images
    We sailed with Regent for the first time last year for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary. It was meant to be a 'one off' as it seemed really expensive. However, when the AI cost is broken down into what you would have paid on a standard cruise, the cost isn't very much higher (I'm not including ridiculous £45 pppn offers). The attention to detail and the amazing staff, plus the fabulous food make the extra cost well worth it. We booked again for this year.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456