how disabled are the disabled cabins

hi everyone, brand new to cruising having gone round the med on voyager of the seas this summer, and was completeley blown away by royal carribean, the stanards of cleanliness, facilities and food were superb.
    i went with my wife and 2 daughters, whilst my son was in respite care, and think it is the sort of holiday he would enjoy with lots going on for him to watch, but he is severeley disabled, and needs moving into and out of bed with a hoist, can't support himself at all so doesn't use a disabled toilet or shower chair, - you get my drift
    so the question is, does anyone out there know if there are bedrooms with wetrooms big enough to cope, he would need moving into the bathroom with a hoist and laying out on the floor to be showered. ideally i would want a shower tray / height adjustable bath and bed but realise that this is a none starter.
    only RCI have been definateley able to answer my question, and that was with a no! pando said yes, probably but we would only know for sure once we boarded the ship, and the young lady at fred olsen didn't seem to grasp what i was asking, i think she would have said yes if i asked if they sailed to the moon!

any help would be appreciated

john

Hi
    I can't help with the specifics of your needs, only the cruise company will be able to help if you can contact the right person. However, as a general rule American based lines are better at catering for the disabled cruisers than European lines. USA law is much stronger than that in the Europe for matters concerning disabled discrimination. Fred. Olsen in particular limits the number of passengers in wheelchair to twelve excluding those booked in cabins specifically designed for the disabled passenger. In addition try to book a new built ship, older ones tend to have very few disabled toilets on public decks and are less easy to negotiate.

Sorry, I can't answer your question other than to say I know someone who travels regularly with P&O and their son (adult) is severely disabled, I feel sure the facilities must be there but why not try speaking to someone at P&O to see if they could arrange a Ships Visit for you when there is a ship in port so you can check out exactly what facilities there are and if they would be suitable for your son.

You could also check out the P&O community forum, I do know they have a continuing "disability/mobility thread" running on there, I'm sure if you ask the questions someone will be able to help.

Last edited by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield; 9th September 2010 at 11:30 AM.
    Jo

disabled

hello,my wife is a wheelchair user. we have to book a disabled cabin.i can tell you that disabled access cabins have wider entry doors to allow wheelchair access. standard cabins, doors are too narrow. inside there is more room to move around. balcony cabins have a ramp to get out on the balcony. the bathroom also has a raised level for level access, for wheelchair. always a wet room. grab handles around toilet, and shower area, fold down shower seat. no hoist as standard. some aids are available. they will do their best to help. regards, mike

On Azura recently there were at least 2 older children who seemed to be severely disabled and have the same kind of needs as you are talking about. I'm afraid I didn't speak to their families so I can't know with any certainty but it was a 16 night cruise so there must have been adequate showering facilities for them. I think there is someone who frequents the P&O forum who has a child with similar needs so it may be worth asking on there? Hope you get an answer you can trust soon, it must be frustrating.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    hi everyone, brand new to cruising having gone round the med on voyager of the seas this summer, and was completeley blown away by royal carribean, the stanards of cleanliness, facilities and food were superb.
    i went with my wife and 2 daughters, whilst my son was in respite care, and think it is the sort of holiday he would enjoy with lots going on for him to watch, but he is severeley disabled, and needs moving into and out of bed with a hoist, can't support himself at all so doesn't use a disabled toilet or shower chair, - you get my drift
    so the question is, does anyone out there know if there are bedrooms with wetrooms big enough to cope, he would need moving into the bathroom with a hoist and laying out on the floor to be showered. ideally i would want a shower tray / height adjustable bath and bed but realise that this is a none starter.
    only RCI have been definateley able to answer my question, and that was with a no! pando said yes, probably but we would only know for sure once we boarded the ship, and the young lady at fred olsen didn't seem to grasp what i was asking, i think she would have said yes if i asked if they sailed to the moon!

john
    I would email them at special_needs@rccl.com with your requirements- I think their disable cabins in general are OK for those with some mobility problems, who can cope in a wheelchair, either with help or independently. It sounds like you would need a shower room that could accommodate a stretcher in order to shower your son comfortably, or a bathroom with enough maneuvering room to put him in the bath using a hoist?

thanks to all for taking the time to reply, i still got nowhere contacting the cruise lines directly, i guess i just wasn't put through to the right department, but i did find a company just down the road (all relative, about 30 miles away) called escapes travel,
    North West Cruise Club - Escapes Travel Ltd
    and having spoken to a lady called amy popped down this morning and have booked a cruise with RCI for next year. she had all the information at her finger tips, knew the size of bathrooms and bedrooms, and even had her own photos of the facilities. if any one needs help i can recommend them

thanks again for the replies, you convinced me to keep trying

john

Quote QUOTE: View Post

john
    Hi John

May I say from the very start how sad I feel for the terrible affliction suffered by your son and how I wish you and your family well for your fortitude and loyalty in caring for him.

I too have disability problems but they are as nothing in comparison.
    However, to be objective, in the face of adversity, I will pass-on my experiences of disabled cruising, for what they are worth.

P&O is the only cruise line of whom I have any experience of such.
    I found them to be very good for disability provision generally, and toward those who have 'special needs,' for which they have a separate department who would cater for medical conditions and requirements, which even include an oxygen supply.

The fully-adapted disability staterooms have an unobstructed 'walk-in wetroom' with pull-down shower-seat, which is the nearest available for your particular requirements.
    I cannot advise re- the special harness lift, this you would have to ascertain from P&O's special needs department.

The fully disability adapted staterooms of whatever grade are quickly snapped-up due to the relatively few (pro-rata) available, the bigger the ship, Azura - Ventura, the greater the choice - Balcony option has more floor space but is more expensive.

Assistance, at the quayside is excellent and instantly available, the specially employed assistants will accompany you through check-in and Customs, right up to boarding the ship, where continuing help takes over and luggage, which you rarely see, appears outside your room almost as quickly as you do.

I hope the information shared with you is timely and useful, and if you have any other queries which I may be able to answer, please do not hesitate to contact me either via the forum or using the personal message option.

With every good wish and empathy with your situation.

Gordon
    +God bless you+