Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

No-fly cruises best for 'hassle-free holidays'

Cruise holidays that do not require tourists to travel to an initial destination by plane or train can save families the trouble of dealing with potential problems.

With planes recently grounded thanks to volcanic ash in the air over Europe, some people were no doubt caused distress by disturbances to their cruise plans if it meant they could not get to the starting point.

According to the World Travel Guide, people on no-fly cruise holidays can start relaxing as soon as they get onboard, without having to struggle through airports with passports and the possibility of losing luggage.

"There are hundreds of no-fly cruises leaving from UK cruise ports each year. The atmosphere is immediately noticeable, you are missing the airport hustle and bustle and instead you are welcomed by friendly cruise line staff," the website said.

A new campaign called 8 Weeks To Go is currently advising cruise-goers to visit to their doctors in order to avoid having to deal with health problems such as vaccinations while on holiday.

Images
    We have never flown to join a cruise and I will avoid it for as long as possible. So far we have driven to Venice twice to join a ship, once to Barcelona and once to Civitavecchia. We make the couple of days drive each side of the cruise part of the holiday and have some interesting stops on the way. Great anticipation on the way and a chance to get back to reality on the way back!
    I am struggling with my desire to go to Alaska and the Caribbean as the driving option is out but transatlantic and about six weeks away from work would make both of these possible.
    No luggage restrictions and no problem bringing back large souvenirs means that no flying will remain my first choiceCarol

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We have never flown to join a cruise and I will avoid it for as long as possible. So far we have driven to Venice twice to join a ship, once to Barcelona and once to Civitavecchia. We make the couple of days drive each side of the cruise part of the holiday and have some interesting stops on the way. Great anticipation on the way and a chance to get back to reality on the way back!
    I am struggling with my desire to go to Alaska and the Caribbean as the driving option is out but transatlantic and about six weeks away from work would make both of these possible.
    No luggage restrictions and no problem bringing back large souvenirs means that no flying will remain my first choiceCarol
    Guy, you've GOT to cruise Alaska if it's on your wish list. It's the most amazing place and a cruise ship is a real armchair way of viewing the place, well, coastline anyway. Can't you grit your teeth and just go with the flycruise option?

[QUOTE=Cruise News, cruise.co.uk;90199]Cruise holidays that do not require tourists to travel to an initial destination by plane or train can save families the trouble of dealing with potential problems.

Do not require....travel by plane or train?
    It took us 9 hours by train to Soton last week, and we had to stay in a hotel on top, just to be on time for the sailing.
    It took 5 hours to fly to Sharm in Feb.
    Much as I hate airports, the thought of being somewhere warm in a few hours is tempting.
    Jo.

Images
    [QUOTE=Walker, Seascale;90444]
    Cruise holidays that do not require tourists to travel to an initial destination by plane or train can save families the trouble of dealing with potential problems.

Do not require....travel by plane or train?
    It took us 9 hours by train to Soton last week, and we had to stay in a hotel on top, just to be on time for the sailing.
    It took 5 hours to fly to Sharm in Feb.
    Much as I hate airports, the thought of being somewhere warm in a few hours is tempting.
    Jo.
    It's not just the airport though, is it Jo? It's the getting to the airport and wether to take the car or get a taxi. Then there's the 2 hour check in time and the pain of going through security, followed by a possible delay, cramped conditions on the plane (unless you upgrade) and airline meals-yuk.
    Whenever I fly long haul, I never can sleep and feel rotten for a couple days. All in all I hate flying and am now trying to avoid it.
    That said, we are flying to Barbados again next year to start our S.American cruise and I'm dreading the flight.

Jill

[QUOTE=Smith, Crayford;90511]

It's not just the airport though, is it Jo? It's the getting to the airport and wether to take the car or get a taxi. Then there's the 2 hour check in time and the pain of going through security, followed by a possible delay, cramped conditions on the plane (unless you upgrade) and airline meals-yuk.
    Whenever I fly long haul, I never can sleep and feel rotten for a couple days. All in all I hate flying and am now trying to avoid it.
    That said, we are flying to Barbados again next year to start our S.American cruise and I'm dreading the flight.
    Ah, we've cracked it, Jill....my family live next to Doncaster airport, so we combine a lovely family visit with a hop round the fence, and a quiet place with one aeroplane in! It's like sitting in the foyer of a big hotel.
    But, like you, I really dislike the very long haul- Sharm's about as far as I want to travel these days.
    Jo.

Images
    we always fly cruise and we don't mind it. in my mind my holiday starts from the minute I lock my front door. :D this Sept we are sailing from Southampton for the first time. we are driving down from Glasgow because hubbie found it quite relaxing when we drove down for the Azura's Christening. and he drove all the way there and back. however to do this, this means another day off work, petrol, hotel and meal expenses, so flying can be the cheaper option.

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

I agree that my holiday starts as I lock my front door. I love the buzz of airports! I am now 65 years old and have been travelling since I was a baby - carried on the ship at Liverpool and walked off at Singapore! I have seen many changes over the years, including long delays at primative airports (1st flew to the Far East in 1958) but I still love airports and travelling

I don't find travel on motorways relaxing. My car being written off by an arctic was enough to put me off journeys surrounded by them.
    Half an hour's drive to local airport plus queue at check in is better than a traffic jam. Plus for just one week holidays in the sun there's much more choice to flycruise.
    My concerns are around who does proper fly cruise packages and spotting those that are flight plus cruise in case the volcano causes future problems.

Our next cruise is a fly cruise, I don't care much but my wife really HATES IT, to lessen the stress we are staying overnight because part of the problem is I think getting overtired. We shall pootle up there, stay over after a (hopefully) good dinner & although an early start we are right there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast