P&O New Cruise Personaliser is NO GOOD!!!!

P&O have altered there Cruise Personaliser for the worse, and of course to make MONEY! If you attempt to book excursions u r asked to pay up-front. Not as it used to be ie. you booked and paid at the end of your cruise, the cost of excursions was added to your on-board account. The upshot is you cannot off-set the cost of excursions against your on-board credit. You can still wait to book once you get on board your cruise, but will be taking a chance that your chosen excursions are not fully booked up! P&O will of course have all this money paid into their bank earning them Lots of Lovely interest!! On a ship such as Ventura with 3,000+ pacs spending say £100 each on Excursions that amounts to 300,000 going into P&Os bank months before the cruise earning a LOT of interest. You will have to spend your on-board credit on other things also. I'm sure some will decide to book on board and the queues at the excursions desk will be worse than ever. The excursions for our cruise have only just been posted a few weeks before the cruise, I could not understand why the delay. I can now they were waiting for the new MONEY Grabber to come in.

Dave this will soon be the norm across the Carnival Corp partners.

Costa changed last year with everything now having to be paid for up-front before you go. They even go as far as saying in order to succure a place on a tour you should book in adavnce.

Lots of tips now paid in advance, along with twelve weeks prior to sailings final payments, cruisers are now paying for the cheap cruises of the past few years.

Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

I had to pay everything up front on my last two RCI cruises. When I mentioned this to a colleague, who was a frequent cruiser, she seemed to suggest it was the norm.

Images
    Returned this Monday off of Adonia after a 15 night cruise around the Med. Booked excursions a week before cruise started on 7th on "Cruise Personaliser", was not asked to pay up front, it was added to my on board account which I paid in cash at the end of the cruise on afternoon of 21st. Have they altered the system since then?

That's a shame. I have £400 on board credit for my cruise next year, and thought I'd use some of it on an excursion or two. Never mind might have to find a spa treatment, or just drink a bit more!............................................. ........Carol

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    That's a shame. I have £400 on board credit for my cruise next year, and thought I'd use some of it on an excursion or two. Never mind might have to find a spa treatment, or just drink a bit more!............................................. ........Carol
    Hi Carol,
    You can still wait and book when on board, I guess that if it is like Costa who brought this in last year, they will have plenty of space on the tours as many will not pay up-front for tours.

We found that two tours we were going to book were full on line but funny enough plenty of room once we boarded.

Beware next thing might even be like Costa a charge of 5 euros a day per person for in room breakfast

Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Returned this Monday off of Adonia after a 15 night cruise around the Med. Booked excursions a week before cruise started on 7th on "Cruise Personaliser", was not asked to pay up front, it was added to my on board account which I paid in cash at the end of the cruise on afternoon of 21st. Have they altered the system since then?
    Granddaddy

I think this is a recent introduction by P&O, from what I read elsewhere, but not sure the date or from what cruise it comes into force. I think there are different start dates for different ships.

I also had to pay for excursions up front on my last RCI cruise on IOS.

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd October 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Images
    Easy solution. Don't book in advance then. I never do. If there is a lot of demand for a trip sometimes they will put on extra buses. If they don't then its their loss not mine.

Some of the trips are not worth bothering about.

I am going on Arcadia in January 2013 for 99 nights. The shore excursions have only just been published and all have to paid for upfront. I have booked a couple of tours so far but this has given me the inspiration to research more. Which I am doing now. I have come across a few alternatives and booked independent of P&O.
    Paying for tours which in my case are 5 months ahead is a no no! I also think P&O are mean when it comes to loyalty. I have cruised P&O over 15 times but some years ago, and have no loyalty points as they have changed the system. I am diamond member of Cunard and Platinum on Princess. According to the passengers from Australia who are on my cruise they can carry their loyalty points across from one company to the other. I am about to write to P&O about this.

I believe P&O no longer count Princess cruises in their loyalty program. This started after April this year. Before then they counted them. Princess however still honour P&O cruises. We met a couple on Ocean Princess in August who were on their first cruise with Princess BUT they had an 'Elite' level card (higher than your platinum)due to their P&O cruises. Their loyalty program is also in many respects more valuable. Free internet and laundry/dry cleaning, no waiting for tenders, free mini bar..... P&O do not offer that on ANY of their 'new' variable loyalty levels. Those paying out for World cruises seem to be in many respects, not valued. The shore excursions available are fewer (only about 6 per port) than usual. Not only are they to be paid for now. They will also dock you 10% if you cancel on board. Bearing in mind that you may want to cancel a trip in April in January on the world cruise, this is disgraceful.
    My husband and I are also on the Arcadia 99 night cruise. If you have any tips on excursions, or would like to share/make up numbers on private excursions, please get in touch through the members area.