Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    There is just such a shop in Southampton you hire what you want either online & they bring it to the port for you to use on your cruise.
    I know. Do they hire out electric, foldable wheelchairs? If so, they might just want to increase their stock.

I know. Do they hire out electric, foldable wheelchairs? If so, they might just want to increase their stock.
    They do have them.

]

I am one of those you would label a "joyrider" ie I CAN walk, sometimes need crutch or stick, BUT can not walk FAR without being in considerable pain, and getting slower each step. I guess you would say that I should not gon cruises then, or even go on holiday?
    I would not consider you to be a "Joy-rider", I think we are all aware of the people we mean. It is sometimes a problem though because wherever there is an advantage to be allowed someone will always consider it fair game to claim it as with Blue Cards for disabled persons.
    It is too awkward for any ordinary person to challenge because the person could be a legitimate user with disabilities that are not obvious.
    But one generally has a good idea when someone is conning. ........Neil

Neil, I was commenting about those who would take mobility scooters aboard when they did not need them. There was no offense meant to genuinely disabled people who from other comments will probably be more inconvenienced by this change of policy.
    Sorry Dave I obviously misread your post, it just seemed very flippant to me, especially the bit about Costs Concordia .....Neil

There is just such a shop in Southampton you hire what you want either on line or by Phone & they bring it to the port for you to use on your cruise.
    My goodness, that brings back a blast from the past. I remember answering a question about hiring scooters and wheelchairs before the Forum opened on the Q & A Section. I rang the shop up and they were quite helpful but in those days didn't have a cruising link. Looks like they have improved their services which were good back then. ......Neil

P&O discriminating against disabled cruisers? I have been ranting on about how my disabled wife was treated by P&O since our last cruise (last in both senses of the word) I wonder if these very limited disabled cabins will start to cost a premium? I wonder what the Disability act has to say about these new rules. Probably will not matter as they are now American ships sailing under flags of convenience where normal regulations do not apply!

Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message

cruises 2012
    Eclipse 12/05
    Queen Victoria 24/03
    Eclipse 12/05
    Oceania Riveria 13/08
    Eclipse 29/09
    Queen Victoria 20/12

2013 Cruises booked
    Eclipse 11/05
    Eclipse 06/07
    Eclipse 31/08
    Eclipse 20/10

This may cause difficulties for those who need scooters but I am not surprised that something is being done to minimise the potential problems and dangers of having them on board unrestricted. Last autumn we were on QM2. The couple in the next stateroom had a scooter. It was parked outside whenever it was not in use - day and through the night. That is, it was hard up aginst the door to our own room so that when leaving we had to negotiate around it and along the corridor. It was not that the people were awkward, there was nowhere else to put it if it was being left outside. A few doors along a large wheelchair was similalry left in the narrow corridor. I worried about these at the time. They were at best an obstruction and I felt (pre Costa event) that if there had been an emergency or evacuation they would have created obstacles, especially in darkness or rushed situations. By all means bring aids, but leave them somewhere (communal?) less dangerous to passengers in general. People will only see this in terms of their own scooter or chair. The problem lies in the total of all those on board.

Images

Valid observation

This may cause difficulties for those who need scooters but I am not surprised that something is being done to minimise the potential problems and dangers of having them on board unrestricted. Last autumn we were on QM2. The couple in the next stateroom had a scooter. It was parked outside whenever it was not in use - day and through the night. That is, it was hard up aginst the door to our own room so that when leaving we had to negotiate around it and along the corridor. It was not that the people were awkward, there was nowhere else to put it if it was being left outside. A few doors along a large wheelchair was similalry left in the narrow corridor. I worried about these at the time. They were at best an obstruction and I felt (pre Costa event) that if there had been an emergency or evacuation they would have created obstacles, especially in darkness or rushed situations. By all means bring aids, but leave them somewhere (communal?) less dangerous to passengers in general. People will only see this in terms of their own scooter or chair. The problem lies in the total of all those on board.
    Mags,
    I also made that point earlier and you are pefectly correct in your observation that corridors are not designed for leaving anything in the way aside from the stewards carts who are present to move if necessary.
    If you have any mobility aid then you must ensure its size fits within the cabin you purchased and sometime the steward might be able to place it near their workarea but that is few.

Rob
    Next Cruise:> My Blog robbarcruises.wordpress.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123