Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

QE meets QE2 in Dubai

Elizabeth, meet...Elizabeth

Cunard's newest liner, Queen Elizabeth, arrived in Dubai last week on the return leg of her maiden world voyage to meet her famous ancestor for the first time.

Passengers aboard the new ship lined the rails to get the best view of her in the distance and an exchange of blasts on the ships' whistles marked their parting.

Since sailing to Dubai a couple of years ago, QE2 remains redundant. But atleast the lights are still on -- its nine engines are in perfect order thanks to a skeleton maintenance crew of 40 on board.

Plans to convert her into a luxury floating hotel at Dubai's man-made Palm Jumeirah resort are on hold, but expected to take place eventually.

Last edited by Robinson Cruisoe, Mrs; 4th April 2011 at 12:31 PM.

Images
    Great picture, must have been very a special moment for all onboard the new QE :-)

Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: *new* cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Queen Mary 2 Jun14
    Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

B]Here is another[/B]

Last edited by tuggy, warminster; 4th April 2011 at 04:43 PM.
    ]

QE in Dubai

I am an ardent ship/cruiseliner follower and have had the privilage to sail on both these great ladies. I was also privilaged to be at Southampton when the QE2 left for the last time - a day I shall never forget. I am thrilled to see that Dubai has kept her in such a beautiful condition, and hope to see her one day installed as a floating hotel which will give her a new lease on life, one in which many more people will be able to enjoy her for years to come. Last year I was in L.A. and made a special trip to see the old Queen Mary - what a disappointment that was. She is literally rotting away and no maintenance is being done. Such a shame, and such a sad ending for another grand old lady.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    B]Here is another[/B]

A fabulous picture of the QE2, she is still looking absolutely immaculate, what a crime that she is still not sailing... Unfortunately i'm reminded of a very sad picture of a just - launched NCL ship passing the SS Norway at Bremerhaven immediately prior to her being sent to the beach at Alang entitled 'beauty and the beast'.
    I am very annoyed that they keep referring to the cruise ship in the background as a liner, it takes more than a bit of black and red paint to turn a HAL / P&O / Costa shoebox into a liner. The fine ship in the foreground could have easily sailed for another 10 - 20 years.

A fabulous picture of the QE2, she is still looking absolutely immaculate, what a crime that she is still not sailing... Unfortunately i'm reminded of a very sad picture of a just - launched NCL ship passing the SS Norway at Bremerhaven immediately prior to her being sent to the beach at Alang entitled 'beauty and the beast'.
    I am very annoyed that they keep referring to the cruise ship in the background as a liner, it takes more than a bit of black and red paint to turn a HAL / P&O / Costa shoebox into a liner. The fine ship in the foreground could have easily sailed for another 10 - 20 years.
    Well i am of the opinion that there are two! ships in the photo One is a Liner!! the other is a Cruise ship.

]

We were in Dubai 2 weeks ago on the Brilliance of the Seas. I guess we were berthed where the Queen Elizabeth was, judging by the photograph. It was great to see the QE2, but she looked a bit lonely and dusty, berthed near piles of rubble. Not a fitting end to a gracious lady. Lets hope that she soon gets renovated back to her former glory.

Images
    I'm sad to tell you that is not the case. Either the camera 'does' lie or the photo has been retouched.

I was in Dubai 2 months ago and she is far from immaculate, her black hull is oxidising into 'matt black' and her bright red funnel is no longer bright red but oxidised orange.

We were also in Dubai 18 months prior to the last visit and what a difference in her condition. She looks tired and jaded, nothing like the photograph above and I wondered at the time what she will look like in another 18 months if she is left without the intended refurbishment.

Wilba

Qe2

I was lucky to have been part of the last QE2 cruise to Dubai and I am so grateful for any news of her which appears to be worryingly mixed. I heard rumours she was to be scrapped which would be so terrible. If only there was something we could do to save her. Any further news of her condition/future would be very much appreciated. She should never have been sold abroad.

I was lucky to have been part of the last QE2 cruise to Dubai and I am so grateful for any news of her which appears to be worryingly mixed. I heard rumours she was to be scrapped which would be so terrible. If only there was something we could do to save her. Any further news of her condition/future would be very much appreciated. She should never have been sold abroad.
    I was there too! What an amazing event the sail in to Dubai was... bitter / sweet but so good to have been there.

You are right about the mixed comments. I saw a review in 'USA Today' on-line by the CEO who was aboard Elizabeth last week and he commented how fabulous her condition was externally and internally. Perhaps they gave a few coats of paint for the occassion?

Wilba:
    The funnel on the QE2 has rarely been vivid red. It is only QM2 and subsequent Cunard ships that are Ferrari red. Traditional Cunard red was matt orange / red because traditionally the funnels got too hot to remain painted so they covered them with buttermilk (I believe) which turned red with the heat. QE2 tended to keep to that tradition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast