Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Travel insurance for people who have had cancer

Hello, I am registered disabled and have been having treatment for cancer this year. I have had lots of recommendations of companies to approach for travel insurance quotes for our cruise. Unfortunately, once they key into their computer model that I had metastases to my liver, then the 'computer says no!'

The only companies that I have found who will give me a quote are Insurecancer and MIA Online. All Clear did give a quote but it was over £1100. Interestingly, when removing Spain as one of our destinations, that amount was reduced by £500 . Apparently Spain has very expensive healthcare.

The two other companies won't give me a quote until 6 and 8 weeks before departure, as they need a current picture of health. Fair enough. But it means that I have had to pay the balance on our cruise for 4, without travel insurance...

I do not use a wheelchair, but thought I might not be able to stand for a long time. Once P&O found out that I was registered disabled and had had cancer treatment, they insisted that I had to have full coverage insurance or else I cannot travel with them. Has anyone got any experience of gaining travel insurance when they have had Stage IV cancer?

Jules

Ventura - April 2012

I symphasize with you, both my husband and I have had cancer and have lost count of how many companies we contacted. Try Insurancechoice,co.uk. We got cover for a cruise involving Australia and New Zealand, I don't promise any success but it's worth a try. Good Luck.

Generally speaking and with the utmost regret no Insurance provider will give cover for Cancer,without an intolerable increase in premium.Although Barclays bank provide full travel Insurance at a cost of £15 per month for Premier members.Of course the policy has restrictions but they do accept people up to 79 yrs with the usual age related complaints.The only down side being is that Insurers could blame the Cancer for any claim made although it may be outside of the condition.You are advised not to proceed with any booking until Insurance is facilitated,being that cover is given for a host of other things apart from Medical.

Images
    Hi Jules .... I've used Freedom Insurance for the last few trips I've been on and found them really helpful. You can find them at the following link and hopefully they will cover you at a reasonable cost Freedom Travel Insurance. Let us know how you get on. Trevor

EDIT:- Just checked the Freedom website and they definitely cover cancer in their remit and the specific pages can be found here Cancer Travel Insurance
    Good luck

Last edited by trevor432990, East Sussex; 28th November 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Images
    In 2010 my wife had a Gastrectomy resulting in the complete removal of her stomach. Now to quote her surgeon " She has had curative surgery" and our travel insurers Axa have accepted this.
    It was for a time very worrying as to whether the insurance would cover her so anyone with these serious conditions has our sympathy.

Photography derived from the Greek photos- for "light" and -graphos for "drawing​

Thomson Majesty Hellenic Classics May1st 2015

It is a most unfortunate problem....
    As soon as you mention "cancer" in your answers to medical questions the whole of the Insurance Companies turn into shivering wrecks in the corner of the room and refuse to come out to play.

There is hope because most cancers are now curable or one can live with it for a long time but it is getting the insurance brigade to recognise that cancer is not the pariah it used to be.

We are all living longer now and enjoying ourselves much later in life and insurance companies have just started to ease out the time from which they consider you to be an uninsurable ruin.

Keep banging away at these ostriches and one day we might get their heads out of the sand or wherever else they stick them. ....Neil

My experience is that I could not get any company to give me annual cover. However, I've been able to get single trip cover for secondary cancer and a previous heart attack - although each type of cancer is treated differently by the insurance companies. Saga used to offer me cover but strangely stopped offering. (I wonder if they knew something I didn't) I then got cover from Allclear - at a price.)

I've also travelled without cover as I was unable to get insurance shortly after being diagnosed. My view was that you either go on holiday and take a chance or stay at home and miss out on such pleasures. Make every day count is my outlook.

Best of luck.

Harvey

Thank you to all of you - I will try the companies mentioned once i have had my last surgery on 19th Dec (it's an elective surgery, not to remove cancer - no lesions are showing on my latest scans - yay!). It's crazy that we have to pay our balance 4 months before we sail, but I can't get insurance until 6-8 weeks before.

Jules

Ventura - April 2012

Images
    Jules please call Freedom Insurance as they started my insurance policy straight away and it is 4 months before the cruise is scheduled so perhaps they could do the same for you.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hello, I am registered disabled and have been having treatment for cancer this year. I have had lots of recommendations of companies to approach for travel insurance quotes for our cruise. Unfortunately, once they key into their computer model that I had metastases to my liver, then the 'computer says no!'

The only companies that I have found who will give me a quote are Insurecancer and MIA Online. All Clear did give a quote but it was over £1100. Interestingly, when removing Spain as one of our destinations, that amount was reduced by £500 . Apparently Spain has very expensive healthcare.

The two other companies won't give me a quote until 6 and 8 weeks before departure, as they need a current picture of health. Fair enough. But it means that I have had to pay the balance on our cruise for 4, without travel insurance...

I do not use a wheelchair, but thought I might not be able to stand for a long time. Once P&O found out that I was registered disabled and had had cancer treatment, they insisted that I had to have full coverage insurance or else I cannot travel with them. Has anyone got any experience of gaining travel insurance when they have had Stage IV cancer?
    Jules, we have exactly the same problem with my husband. He too has cancer with metastases. There are many companies who will insure cancer, but when it comes to metastases, the only two that we have found are All Clear and Insure Cancer. We have tried all of the others mentioned in this thread to no avail. As has been said previously, all cancers are different, but the common factor here is the metastases.

We use All Clear and pay £1200ish per trip, but travel with peace of mind that we have full cover. It is just a case of building the cost into your budget before booking a cruise. Interestingly, we found that the premium was the same for a 7 night cruise as it is for 16 nights and the 7 night cruise was to the Fjords and the 16 nighter included Spain.

We did get a quote from Insure Cancer which was cheaper, BUT they would not offer cancellation cover, so the only cover was for during the cruise. They also put a £1000 excess right across the policy, even if you were to fall and break a leg. We thought this to be very unfair and decided to use All Clear. Something made us a bit uneasy in the event of a claim and without cancellation cover you are risking a lot of money once the final balance has been paid.

We rarely book cruises more than 3 months in advance, after clear scan results. That way we can be pretty certain that all will be well for the cruise. Having said that we have booked one for next August, deciding to gamble with the deposit. We will insure before paying the final balance. Booking late is never a problem, we always manage to get a cabin where we want it and the dinner sitting that we want. The prices that you pay by booking late more than compensate for the high insurance premiums. I know that this doesn't help for your current booking, but worth thinking about in the future.

I really don't think that there are any other options when it comes to cancer that has spread. We have spent hours on the internet and made hundreds of phone calls over the last 3 years.

If you have already paid the balance, then maybe you should bite the bullet and get the All Clear cover, just in case.

If you do find an alternative that is cheaper, then we would be very interested to hear about it. Please do let us know.

Val

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast