Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    WOW thanks for this info Alan, really useful. Do you know if we could get an electric wheelchair on these buses, it's too heavy to tip back and manually push it on to bus. Also is it possible to accommodate more than 1 wheelchair on a bus at the same time. (visited York, buses were wheelchair friendly but some drivers and only some wouldn't have more than 1 wheelchair on at a time). I have never heard of the HOHO buses so will look into that.
    In Barcelona they only take one chair so they both transfered to seats then we took the wheels off of the chairs and placed the chairs on our laps with the wheels by our feet.
    The bus then went to another ship and filled up with American passengers, one of them demanded that my daughter and son-in-law gave up their seats so his wife could sit down, I had to have a quite word with him as plumbers do on occasion

Hi Cruisedeb
    I am uncertain whether all types of electric wheelchairs would fit on the HOHO buses. From general observations they can vary greatly in size. Some of the the buses do have moveable ramps to assist getting the chair onboard (I don't know whether they all do). As already stated they usually only accomodate one chair at a time but each company will have different arrangements. If you leave the ship early (we do) it isn't a problem you are likely to the first onboard.

HOHO ar just Hop On Hop Off busses.
    Most of this type are NOT suitable.

Cruisedeb. Hi My wife and myself are both disabled and went on the same P & O Cruise to the Med on Ventura in 2009. My wife uses an electric wheelchair and I use a mobility scooter, and we went with two personal assistants and a friend. We loved the cruise but did find it difficult with the P&O excursions which we were not able to go on, so had to arrange our own. Our experience was that when we asked about the excursions for wheelchair users we were told we would receive infomation before e sailed on excursions. We received the glossy book for he normal shore trips but not for wheelchairs, so we kept ringing to ask P&O disability service where it was and were told yes we would get is don't worry. Eventually about three weeks prior to sailing we got the few paper sheets of information on acessible excursions, somewhat less impressive than the book. We particularly wanted to do the Rome, and Florence and Pisa trips whilst is Italy. We telephoned immediately only to be told that these were fully booked, despite us only getting infomation that day. We asked if extra transport coulkd be laid on, and she told us this would have to be arranged on board. So once on the ship we enquired about shore excursions and were told we would need to arrange our own transport but they could help. We gave details of the electric chairand scooter and asked about a trip to Florence/Pisa and one to Rome. The on board advisor a few days later came back and told us we could have an accessible minibus with driver/guide but the cost worked out at just over £1000 for the day to visit Rome then Florence and Pisa. So this worked out at £200 each for a day. This was a big difference to the £40-£70 for those not in a wheelchair, and my wife and myself hadto pay the whole cost as we could not ask our personal assistants to pay. We thought we had come so far so we decided to go ahead to book the trip. The accessible vehicle was actually not that accessible, just a minibus with two detachable ramps which the driver put up to load in through the rear doors. We would never have got our electric wheelchair and scooter up the ramp if our Personal assistants had not been there and we had three people which most wheelhair users would not. We loved Rome and Florence and have great memories but the trip was ridculously expensive and did not include any refreshments etc. Whilst in Rome we saw the minibus which had been laid on by P&O and it took pricisely two wheelchair users. No wonder it was booked before we had chance to telephone. We did write to P&O to complain on the lack of provision particularly for those like my wife who can not transfer from her wheelchgair. We have just returned from a Cunard cruise and the only difference is that Cunard do not make any arrangements, they say it up to you to arrange suitable transport. So the advice seems to be do what you can to arrange things yourself, don't expect much, and have plenty of cash as your need it. Have a great time.

Assume you've registered as using a wheelchair? If so, instead of waiting ffor a brochure to come from P and O you should log onto your cruise personaliser and maybe you'll find details of available excursions for those with mobility difficulties.

You will hopefully find some tours in Rome and othe ports which appeal to you. I also found the excursion staff very helpful in suggesting suitable excursions. I was using a manual wheelchair on our last cruise and found everyone incredibly helpful. For example when I was disembarking, there were always crew members on hand to lift me down the gangway. I saw others in electric wheelchairs getting same reatment. Also shuttle buses were usually wheelchair accessible.

I know in Venice which is a really difficult city for wheelchairs those who went on the special access tours had a great day and were accompanied individually by tourist guides from Venice.

Last edited by crazynotto, Fife; 19th October 2011 at 10:34 PM.

Hi DougFitch,

Thanks for your post, It's really good to hear of someone in a similar situation, and how things worked for them.

Can I ask which cabin did you stay in and what was it like? How did you find the facilities on the ship? Could you manage to see the shows, did you have to early to secure the wheelchair spaces?

Hi Crazynotto,

Thanks for your post.

It's too early to see info on the personaliser, we don't go until April next year. I hope the shuttle buses are wheelchair friendly when we go, can 2 wheelchairs generally get on the same shuttle, and does the all the shuttles drop off at one location only? I can see us being forced to split between 2 shuttles and ending up at different locations?

Again thanks everyone for all your help.

Cruisedeb

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi DougFitch,

Thanks for your post, It's really good to hear of someone in a similar situation, and how things worked for them.

Can I ask which cabin did you stay in and what was it like? How did you find the facilities on the ship? Could you manage to see the shows, did you have to early to secure the wheelchair spaces?

Hi Crazynotto,

Thanks for your post.

It's too early to see info on the personaliser, we don't go until April next year. I hope the shuttle buses are wheelchair friendly when we go, can 2 wheelchairs generally get on the same shuttle, and does the all the shuttles drop off at one location only? I can see us being forced to split between 2 shuttles and ending up at different locations?

Again thanks everyone for all your help.

Cruisedeb
    For pictures of disabled cabins follow the link they are pretty standard across both the P&O and Princess the fleet.

http://www.cruises.co.uk/695-useful_...ility_sea.html

I have just come across your question and can relate to it as I am wheelchair bound (paraplegic) and I have been to Rome via Civitavecchia where the cruise ships dock.
    Firstly, you can only use a shuttle bus to get off Civitavecchia docks (pedestrians are forbidden to walk off and taxis are not allowed on the dock area. It's about a mile from the ship to the dock entrance) Unfortunately, the shuttle buses were not wheelchair accessible (this was 2006 so hopefully, the buses have been upgraded by now. However, it is important that you get your tour operator to check on this, even if it means they have to ring the docks direct. As a last resort he cruise line should be able to arrange for a wheel-chair accessible vehicle to get you off the dock but there may be a cost implication) I was able to get on the bus with the help of the driver and some able bodied passengers.
    Once outside the dock entrance forget Taxis or buses, cross the road, bear right and, after 600 yards or so, you will come to the rail station. When we went it cost €3 return each and trains went from Civitavecchia to Rome every 45mins.
    The trains are all wheelchair accessible and you can wheel straight into the train. 45 minutes later you arrive at Rome. In our case, when the carriage doors opened, there was a 2ft drop to the platform! I was on the point of panicking when we heard "beep-beep" and a guy turned up in a fork-lift truck with a 3-sided box and all I had to do was wheel into it. (Obviously, Civitavecchia had warned Rome that there was a wheelchair passenger on board.)
    So far so good. when you exit Rome station you are right opposite the colliseum. We didn't go in as the queue was massive and I wasn't sure about the accessibility (check on the website - you may also be able to pre-book to save queuing)
    Getting around on foot isn't too bad but there is a fair gradient going up from the station. We saw most of what we wanted to see i.e. Trevi fountain etc
    I was a bit naughty at the table on board that night as some had gone on an organised trip and came back bemoaning the fact that the coach was held up in traffic jams on the motorway, whisked past historical sites "...that was the colliseum, that was" and cost them $120 each. When I related our adventures and finished by saying it only cost us €6, the air was slightly blue!
    I hope this info is of use to you and that you enjoy your trip to the eternal city

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12