2.5% Charge for Onboard Account if using a Credit Card

Not sure if anybody knew this but from January 2012 Thomson are now charging 2.5% if you settle your onboard account using a credit card. I checked their website as it said "handling fees may apply for credit cards". So I emailed them and this was their response.

"We apologise that you feel the information in this section of our website is a little vague regarding credit card fees on-board, this charge is something that we have introduced as of January 2012. So if you have travelled with us before this time you would not have incurred such charges."

Regret to say that this is a trend that cruise lines seem to be copying from the budget airlines!

sad days ,more money wanted by cruise lines,although thomson just getting into line with other cruise lines. l paid 2.5% two years ago with fred olsen.

But it is illegal to impose a charge and call it a credit card charge - note Ryanair refer to it as a handling fee!

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    But it is illegal to impose a charge and call it a credit card charge - note Ryanair refer to it as a handling fee!
    Would that apply to a foreign registered ship?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Not sure if anybody knew this but from January 2012 Thomson are now charging 2.5% if you settle your onboard account using a credit card. I checked their website as it said "handling fees may apply for credit cards". So I emailed them and this was their response.

"We apologise that you feel the information in this section of our website is a little vague regarding credit card fees on-board, this charge is something that we have introduced as of January 2012. So if you have travelled with us before this time you would not have incurred such charges."
    That's absolutely disgraceful. Thomson are following Fred Olsen's example and penalising their passengers.

What's even more amazing is the fact the forum's very own Thomson Twins (aka Diddy and Scouse) haven't defended this money grabbing move.

Why the silence?

Options

This is indeed sad news many airlines have been charging these fees when paying by credit card for quite a while now. It is equally disturbing that this also includes the use of debit cards! If passengers were to settle their onboard accounts in cash I feel sure there would soon be a 'cash handling fee' introduced . . . . moving forward how do we avoid such charges being made?

Does it include debit cards on Thomsons? I know it did with airlines, but surely Thomsons are only charging for credit cards?