Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Trace Guest
    hi Wootton, which ship was half the size and twice as crowded, sorry didn't get that!

Images
    ....how much did you pay for your Celebrity cruise compared with the passengers on Thomson ships ????? and I mean including tips and all drinks, excursions, etc. I have done both and Thomson works out alot cheaper.....!!!

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Cruised with celebrity last year,pulled up against the thomson ship and it was half the size and twice as crowded!Not only that but we over took them later on!
    I would bet there would not have been that much difference, taking into account the different size of the ships, between the tons per passenger ratio, and would even bet the crew to passenger ratio, would have been higher on the Thomson ship.
    Neither would I have thought there would have been much difference in the speed, for example Thomson Spirit has a top speed of 21 knots, and Celebrity Constellation which is 3 times larger in terms of tonnage has a top speed of 24 knots, so only a difference of 3 knots. Even Celebrity Eclipse also has a top speed also of 24 knots.

Images
    I would bet there would not have been that much difference, taking into account the different size of the ships, between the tons per passenger ratio, and would even bet the crew to passenger ratio, would have been higher on the Thomson ship.
    Neither would I have thought there would have been much difference in the speed, for example Thomson Spirit has a top speed of 21 knots, and Celebrity Constellation which is 3 times larger in terms of tonnage has a top speed of 24 knots, so only a difference of 3 knots. Even Celebrity Eclipse also has a top speed also of 24 knots.
    They rarely cruise at top speed Dell except when we left early to out run the storm on the IOS

Given a straight choice for relaxation friendly service and onboard prices I would pick Thomson

I have never been on Thomson ship but I do share similar thoughts as Malcolm.

Putting aside the 'Dream/Nightmare' issue, I love the fact they constantly get great reviews for food and entertainment, but other than late offers which you can get on virtually any line these days, I don't see prices that reflect the age and condition of some of their ships, and this for me is a turn off.
    Never tried a Thomson cruise? Give it a go! No ridiculous tips or surcharges on drinks (which are reasonably priced) These tips on other cruise lines are just a way of upping the price without declaring it on the bottom line. (e.g 302 dollars "tips"for two people on a 2 week cruise) So Thomson do work out less expensive. Staff friendly, food good and prices reasonable. Ships are old but having been on 4 Thomson cruises, this hasn't detracted from our enjoyment. Cruised on Dream in March around Caribbean -no problems of any kind whatsoever and would definitely cruise on her again. More modern ships would be nice but prices would rise.

Images
    Cruised with celebrity last year,pulled up against the thomson ship and it was half the size and twice as crowded!Not only that but we over took them later on!
    Each ship works out what speed it needs to do to reach it's next port of call using the minimum amount of fuel so if your ship needed to sail further in a shorter time it would put on more speed.

Thomsons are great value for money (shop around on the net). Have already booked Fire & Ice from Newcastle next year.
    Food 1st class. Entertainment 1st class. All crew 1st class. The Spirit & Celebration are looking old & tired but still very welcoming.

2years ago on spirit (baltic treasures)going into OSLO we were passed by a larger ship it docked half hour before us, we went on excursion and on returning to ship we had lunch, then started to walk in to OSLO, met by passengers rushing to get back on board larger ship,it sailed at 2pm ,we sailed at 4pm.

same thing happened in TALLIN passengers from larger ship scurring back as they were sailing at 2pm we were not sailing till 5pm.

if i rember correctly the large ship was EMARALD PRINCESS now i'm not knocking ship or passengers but lenth of time in port.
    as for being crowded maybe thomson passengers came on deck to wave to larger ship,you see we are a fun loving friendly lot.
    majority of thomson stops are full day, more time to see sights and more relaxing,don'have to rush back to ship.
    what i'm trying to say big is not always best.

I have sailed on Celebrity Eclipse and Thomson Spirit amongst others. If I had to pick one or the other for my next cruise I would definately be heading to Corfu to board the Spirit. Although saying that, I looked at booking the Adriatic Explorer cruise earlier in the year and thought it was overpriced so swerved it. Noticed now the prices have started to drop a little, so might wait for a late bargain. Looks a great itinerary. I found the Eclipse to be a lovely ship but a bit boring. Food in the buffet was never hot and drinks were expensive. The Spirit on the other hand, well, it had spirit. Cracking atmosphere,good food,reasonable drinks prices and loved the wide wooden promenade deck and tiered stern. A great little ship.

Thomsons are great value for money (shop around on the net). Have already booked Fire & Ice from Newcastle next year.
    Food 1st class. Entertainment 1st class. All crew 1st class. The Spirit & Celebration are looking old & tired but still very welcoming.
    done it 2years ago you will love it.

Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast