Fly and cruise, never done it before! Few questions!

Hello, after having a fantastic first cruise on indy last month, we have booked our second for october this year. Got a really good deal, with free flights and some other stuff we managed to haggle!
    Anyway, weve yet to do a fly cruise and cant find the answers yet... We are doing the med/greek islands 12 nights on serenade of the seas. We are flying from gatwick to barcelona. We obviously check in at gatwick to fly, but then whats the plan? Does our luggage then get taken off us and we get in back on board ship? Or do we collect at the airport and the keep it with us until we board ship? When we land at barcelona we have all day before the ship departs, is that our time? Or are we taken from airport straight to the ship? If anyones done this or knows id much appreciate some help.trying to do some planning! I know....already!

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hello, after having a fantastic first cruise on indy last month, we have booked our second for october this year. Got a really good deal, with free flights and some other stuff we managed to haggle!
    Anyway, weve yet to do a fly cruise and cant find the answers yet... We are doing the med/greek islands 12 nights on serenade of the seas. We are flying from gatwick to barcelona. We obviously check in at gatwick to fly, but then whats the plan? Does our luggage then get taken off us and we get in back on board ship? Or do we collect at the airport and the keep it with us until we board ship? When we land at barcelona we have all day before the ship departs, is that our time? Or are we taken from airport straight to the ship? If anyones done this or knows id much appreciate some help.trying to do some planning! I know....already!

Hi dazzer, when you arrive at Barcelona, you need to collect your luggage and take it to the coach (assuming you have transfers). When you know the airline, check your baggage allowance. I've only done cruise only from Barcelona and booked my own flights so I don't know what your airport arrangements will be when you disembark but you will be off fairly early in the morning because we boarded at 11:15 am.

If you say whether you have transfers and/or a hotel dayroom others can give you more help.

Hi Dazzer, HT is right I think. You hand your hold luggage in at the Gatwick airport check –in and then you go through security and into the Departures area. Gatwick is a pleasant airport with reasonable places to have an early breakfast or whatever and good shops to look around. The seating accommodation is not bad either. If you want to have peace and quiet you can by booking a place in an executive lounge with free drinks and small snacks and really comfortable chairs. You can do this on the way back as well normally. The drawback is the cost of about £20 per person per lounge.
    When you get to Barcelona collect you cases from the carousel and take them to the buses waiting to take you to the ship. There will be plenty of RCI staff at the airport to direct you. Put your cases on th coach and relax. When you get to the ship the normal procedure is for you to take your cases to the porters who will load it onto the ship. The next time you see them after that is outside or in your cabin. You then do the ship’s check-in and go onto the ship. You probably will not be allowed to go to your cabin until early afternoon but you should be able to go to the Windjammer to get lunch. If you have a load of hand luggage and ask nicely on your deck they might let you put that in your cabin, in the wardrobe, to save you wheeling it all over the place with you. Sometimes the decks are locked off but you might still be able to drop off at you cabin with a bit of cheek.

Just as an afterthought; please remember that Barcelona is one of the worst airports for pickpockets and stealing luggage, hand and main, so keep alert the whole time.

I haven’t done your cruise so I may not be totally correct but hopefully if I am wrong someone will correct me. Regards. ……Neil

Last edited by Neil Down, Southampton; 6th February 2012 at 07:47 PM.

Hi Dazzer, HT is right I think. You hand your hold luggage in at the Gatwick airport check –in and then you go through security and into the Departures area. Gatwick is a pleasant airport with reasonable places to have an early breakfast or whatever and good shops to look around. The seating accommodation is not bad either. If you want to have peace and quiet you can by booking a place in an executive lounge with free drinks and small snacks and really comfortable chairs. You can do this on the way back as well normally. The drawback is the cost of about £20 per person per lounge.
    When you get to Barcelona collect you cases from the carousel and take them to the buses waiting to take you to the ship. There will be plenty of RCI staff at the airport to direct you. Put your cases on th coach and relax. When you get to the ship the normal procedure is for you to take your cases to the porters who will load it onto the ship. The next time you see them after that is outside or in your cabin. You then do the ship’s check-in and go onto the ship. You probably will not be allowed to go to your cabin until early afternoon but you should be able to go to the Windjammer to get lunch. If you have a load of hand luggage and ask nicely on your deck they might let you put that in your cabin, in the wardrobe, to save you wheeling it all over the place with you. Sometimes the decks are locked off but you might still be able to drop off at you cabin with a bit of cheek.I haven’t done your cruise so I may not be totally correct but hopefully if I am wrong someone will correct me. Regards. ……Neil
    Agree with Neil on this one. The buffet on the day of embarkation can be hectic and the last thing you need is hassling yourself around the buffet with hand luggage in tow. You will be told your rooms will not be ready, be bold and go to your room and drop the bags - we do it all the time and never get any trouble once we tell the staff that we are on a 3 second journey to drop the bags.

Images
    you will check your bags in at Gatwick then pick them up at Barcelona to put them on the transfer bus. you will not have to take them off the bus the staff will unload then the next time you see them they will be outside your cabin.

the night before disembarkation you will have to leave your cases outside your cabin at about 12mn and you will have collect them at the dock. if you have booked a transfer with RCI they will drop you off at the airport first thing in the morning where you will have to while away the hours or take a bus or taxi back into Barcelona. however RCI let you stay in your cabin till the afternoon at a cost, they will then, if you have a transfer booked, take you to the airport.

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Thanks, thought we might have time to look round barcelona but doesnt look like it then? We arrive in barcelona at about 10 in the morning but leave on ship about 5 in the evening.

Thanks, thought we might have time to look round barcelona but doesnt look like it then? We arrive in barcelona at about 10 in the morning but leave on ship about 5 in the evening.
    Once you have gone through the boarding formalities and have your "Sea Pass" you can go ashore. RCI are sometimes quite tight with the last time for reboarding, often 90 minutes prior to sailing sometimes 120 so watch that but time to go ashore.

Once again caution: Leave your carry-ons on the ship and be ultra careful with your passports if you have them ashore. They are prime targets for pickpockets who are good at what they do.

You should be able to get a couple of hours ashore if you want to. ....Neil

What I would add to the above is dont put your cruise ship luggage tags on until you have collected your bags from the Carousel. But do make sure that you put them on before loading onto the coach.

Images
    They start boarding at 11.00am sharp in BCN, so by the time you have collected luggage and bussed to the airport you should be perfect to get onboard before the masses arrive............Wilba

Wilba

I'm going on Voyager of the seas in October on a 20 day Asian Magic Cruise, flying from Heathrow to Beijing and transferred to a hotel for two nights before embarking. It would be nice if someone from Cruise.Co.Uk met everyone in a group who were also going on the cruise at Heathrow before flying to the other side of the world.