Thomas Cook flight change from Barbados - P and O

We are flying Thomas Cook from Manchester to join Azura in November. Last week P and O informed us that the return flight had been changed to an older plane with just 29" seat pitch and no seat back entertainment, this was down to scheduled maintainance. We can live with the entertainment but the seat pitch is really just suitable for short haul flights. I spoke directly with P and O flight centre who were very good and advised that P and O knew about the plane change back in July (before we even booked our cruise), they also confirmed that the Seat Booker system include the new plane change, and that becomes available 12 weeks before the cruise. I have since been talking to P and O customer services, if you can call them that, they claim that as they were told just one week ago they were not willing to discuss compensation (we were simply seeking a refund of the £25 seat booking fee for the return flight). It is obvious that P and O have known for some time about Thomas Cook flight changes (our friends go Ventura in two weeks and they have had the same information about return flights. We as customers pay for the flights and expect the best flights possible and if Thomas Cook let P and O down with the best available then surely P and O should pursue other options like Thomson flights, not just say fair enough and let us down. I wanted to share this with you and to see if anyone else has had responses.

Images
    This often occurs with charter flights unfortunately.................

Photography derived from the Greek photos- for "light" and -graphos for "drawing​

Thomson Majesty Hellenic Classics May1st 2015

Fair enough, but in todays climate of flights and health I feel 29" for an eight hour flight is unacceptable. The other points though that P and O knew about this before we booked, should we not have been made aware ? and secondly their claims that they have only just been told when that is plainly untrue

Unfortunatey P&O dont have a great track record in this dept. We had booked premium seats but were advised a few weeks ago that the seating plan had changed (as a result of maintenance issues) and our request would have to be declined. I spoke with P&O to ask the reason they had made the change and they told me a completly different reason than the one tehy had given to cruise.co.uk.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Fair enough, but in todays climate of flights and health I feel 29" for an eight hour flight is unacceptable. The other points though that P and O knew about this before we booked, should we not have been made aware ? and secondly their claims that they have only just been told when that is plainly untrue
    Its actually nine hours to Barbados
    Brian

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We are flying Thomas Cook from Manchester to join Azura in November. Last week P and O informed us that the return flight had been changed to an older plane with just 29" seat pitch and no seat back entertainment, this was down to scheduled maintainance. We can live with the entertainment but the seat pitch is really just suitable for short haul flights. I spoke directly with P and O flight centre who were very good and advised that P and O knew about the plane change back in July (before we even booked our cruise), they also confirmed that the Seat Booker system include the new plane change, and that becomes available 12 weeks before the cruise. I have since been talking to P and O customer services, if you can call them that, they claim that as they were told just one week ago they were not willing to discuss compensation (we were simply seeking a refund of the £25 seat booking fee for the return flight). It is obvious that P and O have known for some time about Thomas Cook flight changes (our friends go Ventura in two weeks and they have had the same information about return flights. We as customers pay for the flights and expect the best flights possible and if Thomas Cook let P and O down with the best available then surely P and O should pursue other options like Thomson flights, not just say fair enough and let us down. I wanted to share this with you and to see if anyone else has had responses.
    You think you have had a bad deal with P&O. Three years ago we sailed with P&O from Barbados to Acapulco. Our return flight from Acapulco (Thomas Cook) was delayed. We should have left the ship at 8.00am we left at 6.00pm. The Captain announced we would be stopping off in Cuba and all passengers would be taken to an Hotel for a hot meal. The saga begins:- Dumped at the Airport in Acapulco with no representatives present we eventually found out that two flights due for the UK one for London the other for Manchester. The confusion started when the wrong gate numbers announced for the flights. They shuttled us about like sheep from one gate to another. After waiting, which seemed for hours, they started to board the passengers for both flights. After being on board for an hour they announced that we were on the wrong plane. The luggage for the London flight had been loaded onto the Manchester flight. You can guess what happened which I won't bore you with. When we landed in Cuba the Hotel meal we were promised by the ships Captain never happened. When we asked the crew their reply was "What meal are you talking about". We spent seven hours in Cuba sat on the floor with a roll & coke. The reason was that the crew had ran out of flying hours so they went the hotel for a sleep for seven hours. The passengers went berserk as you can imagine. Think yourselves lucky that your only problem is your seats.

But this is on the way back when I think it is just under eight hours, the outbound flight is unaffected, I HOPE

I looked at a comparison between Azura and Celebrity Eclipse for a 14 night Caribbean cruise in Jan 2013. For the P&O cruise, you have to book the complete package with flights and it works out at £1837 pp for the cheapest ocean view cabin. Celebrity goes from Fort Lauderdale so not as good perhaps as going from Barbados but you can book cruise only at £1121 pp for the cheapest ocean view. With over £700 pp difference, you could book scheduled flights and have money over for a few nights in Florida.

Wouldn't it be great if P&O would sell cruise only at a reasonable price. If they did, you could elect to spend a few nights in Barbados plus for those that wanted to book P&Os package, they would have to pull their socks up and look after their customers better than they have in this case.

Sorry, but all these stories just tell me to stick to UK sailings and returns!