Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Trace Guest
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Mmmmm Arrrrrr mmmmm white rum of course
    cheers Spartan but I just don't like rum!! Think I would need a tranquilser, wake me up when it's calm again.

Images
    And was the furniture moving? What was it like when you were in bed?
    The whirly pits...without the pluses of having enjoyed too much to drink!!!

To be fair, the furniture wasn't really moving around too much and all the breakables were stashed away. It was the way the captain came over the tannoy and announced to us that 'we may have seen stewards putting containers around the ship with bags in case of motion sickness [brass containers, very chic!]...not to be alarmed, the ship was very seaworthy and the crew don't anticipate any problems'...

Until the captain mentioned it, we hadn't thought of 'any problems' or questioned the sea worthiness of the ship...Talk about putting thoughts into your head!!!

We were fine.

Trace Guest
    The whirly pits...without the pluses of having enjoyed too much to drink!!!

To be fair, the furniture wasn't really moving around too much and all the breakables were stashed away. It was the way the captain came over the tannoy and announced to us that 'we may have seen stewards putting containers around the ship with bags in case of motion sickness [brass containers, very chic!]...not to be alarmed, the ship was very seaworthy and the crew don't anticipate any problems'...

Until the captain mentioned it, we hadn't thought of 'any problems' or questioned the sea worthiness of the ship...Talk about putting thoughts into your head!!!

We were fine.
    So really the cruise ships are designed to cope with gale force winds and choppy seas, just some of the vids on youtube make me so scared! Can't imagine it, we had one rough (ish) night this year in Greece, I thought was terrible, nobody else seemd fazed.

Images
    The worst that I remember was three years back on the Thomson Sprite, we set out from Palma heading for Gib and ended up in Ceata.
    The same night the Freda went aground on Europa point. It was so rough I stagered across the cabin and had to sit to go to the loo

Just for you Trace!!!

January 2008 Aurora, force 12 during the night en route to San Francisco.

September 2009 Aurora, huge seas, and an anchor came adrift mid Atlantic.

February 2010 Oriana, force 11, a day out of Madeira on a transatlantic to the Caribbean. Madeira suffered horrendous floods after our visit which was marked by the torrential rain that preceeded those floods.

Many other instances of huge seas BUT our worst experience was just after leaving Madeira, November 2006, on a return from the Caribbean when Oriana tipped over at an alarming list and everything in the MDR went crashing.

When the seas are rough, the waiters often clear the table of wine bottles and glasses unless you grab hold of them.

A very bouncy evening, table right by the rear windows of the restaurant on Aurora, not many in the MDR, and we grabbed our glasses and bottles but the tablecloth already looked like a murder scene from overturned glasses of red wine!!!

Don't ever be worried Trace, ships are built to cope with such conditions, and we have every confidence in our favourites.

Trace Guest
    Just for you Trace!!!

January 2008 Aurora, force 12 during the night en route to San Francisco.

September 2009 Aurora, huge seas, and an anchor came adrift mid Atlantic.

February 2010 Oriana, force 11, a day out of Madeira on a transatlantic to the Caribbean. Madeira suffered horrendous floods after our visit which was marked by the torrential rain that preceeded those floods.

Many other instances of huge seas BUT our worst experience was just after leaving Madeira, November 2006, on a return from the Caribbean when Oriana tipped over at an alarming list and everything in the MDR went crashing.

When the seas are rough, the waiters often clear the table of wine bottles and glasses unless you grab hold of them.

A very bouncy evening, table right by the rear windows of the restaurant on Aurora, not many in the MDR, and we grabbed our glasses and bottles but the tablecloth already looked like a murder scene from overturned glasses of red wine!!!

Don't ever be worried Trace, ships are built to cope with such conditions, and we have every confidence in our favourites.
    Well i know I am a wimp but I always say if I ever had a bad flight (we have always been so lucky) then I doubt I would fly again, and the same goes with cruising.

I know it must be safe, as it's very very rare you hear of a catastrophe, but I arn't sure how I would cope if the going got rough!

Sounds good advice but I don't like rum, my hubby likes his dark rum and coke but I don't, any advice what I should drink then as an alternative?
    Just watched the video, and it linked me to a few other rough sea ones, OH MY WORD!! I don't know what I would do! Has anyone ever been on a cruise where the tables,chairs etc actually move across the room? If so, how do you cope?
    Had a trip on Thomson Spirit along the Portugal coast (BOB had been a millpond) when the weather got rough. we had dinner in a deserted dining room where trolleys of plates were falling like ninepins in the kitchens and could be heard quite clearly. The crew had placed sick bags all the way up the stairs and the lifts were all out of action.

Luckily we are good sailors and found it all quite fascinating. We tied a weight to a piece of string and fastened it to the suspended ceiling so we could see the movement of the ship after dark in our cabin.

Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Images
    Well i know I am a wimp but I always say if I ever had a bad flight (we have always been so lucky) then I doubt I would fly again, and the same goes with cruising.

I know it must be safe, as it's very very rare you hear of a catastrophe, but I arn't sure how I would cope if the going got rough!
    I think that I can say one should not worry,a well found ship is the safest place to be.One does hear of cargo ships foundering ,but that is 99.9% due to bad stowage and poor stability. Storm force winds are a part of nature and ships like the adonia are just as safe as the huge floating hotels,a bit liverlier perhaps ,but neverthe less safe,so if you are not a good sailor then tuck yourself up in bed and wedge yourself in with a couple of pillows.
    finally the captain of a cruise ship will not intensionally steer into the path of a storm,but will take an alternative route,for instance last year on the Arcadia returning from Iceland our intended course was inside the hebrides,but due to a storm forecast the master adjusted course to pass west of ireland ,the weather was still bad and quite a few people did not turn up for meals,but at least I was able to get a table up in the crows nest.

jim

Images
    Going to Noway on Azura in June this year
    FORCE 9

and coming back

FORCE 9

APPARENT ACROSS THE DECK FORCE 11

Pete

Pete

If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

I have had great fun reading all your replies. My husband & myself are lucky to be good sailors but trying to eat lunch in the buffet & not sitting at a table that was on a carpet was a silly thing to to. We had to hold onto the table with one hand while trying to eat with the other as our seats & plates were constantly on the move. Great fun!! There was even Humour as one passenger said after being married for over 50 years it was the first time he had spent over 21 hours in bed with his wife. All the day activities were moved inside (fancy that) to the Crows Nest on the TOP deck which to me was not such a good idea, just getting up there was a problem.
    As like a lot of your replies we also had a few tipples, me vodka + wine my husband brandy. He slept quite well while I slide out of the bed at one time.
    We live right by the sea & the weather forecast for Wednesday is gale force winds, so here we go again.
    Thanks again for such amusing replies.
    Manxie

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast