Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is it really like? MSC Opera

We are thinking about MSC Opera for the first time, but the reviews are confusing. The reviews are either very good or very bad, someone said you either love it or hate it. We want a cheap last minute one for August & we could try MSC or Marco Polo, MP seems to get a better score on Cruisecritic, but the ship seems old.

Please help us to make our minds up

Thanks ... Mike

Images
    If you read the more recent reviews for Opera they seem far more complimentary than in the past ~ I think this may have more to do with the demographic changing onboard (50% British Pax) as opposed to anything major that MSC may have changed.

I am looking forward to my cruise on Opera at the end of this month and trying all that MSC have to offer. The ship is around what I regard as a decent size without being so large it becomes impersonal. The only downsides I seem to are feel are the compact size of the cabins (but what the heck it's only to sleep and change in) and a possible lack of deck space when the weather is good on sea days.

Other recent positives are that MSC are now opening the buffet of an evening except on formal nights and that free tea and coffee is available around the clock from the buffet. All in all I am hoping it measures upto a good cruise experience at a reasonable price.

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

msc opera very very nice clean ship,enjoyed the pasta dishes being cooked outside on deck lovely,a good sized ship,the right size for us,but most people do not like the european feel about the ship,lots of italians obviousley,so entertainment is geared towards italian theme,so the compare can sometimes make announcements in 5 languages,food is not as exotic as some ships menus,but it is adequate,and that is reflected in the price,desserts were yummy,and the late night buffet on deck was really faboulous,and that was last year when we sailed on opera

im booked in august the only worry i have is the tipping 9 euros a day thats x3 27 euros
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We are thinking about MSC Opera for the first time, but the reviews are confusing. The reviews are either very good or very bad, someone said you either love it or hate it. We want a cheap last minute one for August & we could try MSC or Marco Polo, MP seems to get a better score on Cruisecritic, but the ship seems old.

Please help us to make our minds up

Thanks ... Mike

Images
    im booked in august the only worry i have is the tipping 9 euros a day thats x3 27 euros
    It is about on par with other lines (except the British ones) and it isn't a tip it's a service charge.

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

dare i say this (read notes about tipping) but you can opt out ,no problem,most of the brits on the opera were opting out of the tipping,i feel i am going to get some stick now,but i have broad shoulders

dare i say this (read notes about tipping) but you can opt out ,no problem,most of the brits on the opera were opting out of the tipping,i feel i am going to get some stick now,but i have broad shoulders
    Do you get vouchers to give to staff on final evening as with other lines when you pay service charge/ gratuities on your account or before you cruise?

Just got back from Opera to Norway. The daily charge to your account is 7euros per person and 15% added to all drinks bills. But take into account the advertised price of the cruise and just add these on to see what overall your cruise truly costs you. Bear in mind too that you should do this with every cruise line. It's rather like the cheap flights used to be; add it all up then you know what you're paying. Research, research, research and then decide where to go and who to go with.

Just got back from Opera to Norway. The daily charge to your account is 7euros per person and 15% added to all drinks bills. But take into account the advertised price of the cruise and just add these on to see what overall your cruise truly costs you. Bear in mind too that you should do this with every cruise line. It's rather like the cheap flights used to be; add it all up then you know what you're paying. Research, research, research and then decide where to go and who to go with.
    Hi Rosemary,

Pleased to see a couple of good reviews on Opera again this week. Did you enjoy your cruise? We are going on the Continental Discovery cruise in four weeks time.

Research, research, research
    Thanks for the advice, information about these things are easy to find (Egg sucking grandmothers come to mind), I trust the members on the site to let me know what Opera is REALLY like, and part of the research is this posting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast