Thumbs up Ship visit to MSC Opera - 28 June 2011

A friend and I went on the ship visit yesterday, and were very impressed with our treatment.

We exchanged our passports for a visitors badge and, after a wait, went through security onto the ship.

A member of the entertainment team showed us around the ship, and we had the opportunity to view two cabins. I thought the cabins were compact, but perfectly adequate. The English pub did smell of smoke, but the other bars were non-smoking. I liked the gym and relaxation area. I could just imagine myself on a treadmill looking out over the sea. I also liked the single-sex saunas.

After a good look around, we were taken for a question and answer session and offered sparkling wine or non-alcoholic drinks. We went to the main dining-room for a very nice three-course lunch, and were offered wine with the meal. We then moved onto a bar where we were offered coffees from the bar menu.

I picked up the bar tariffs and thought they looked quite reasonable, with coffee priced at 2 euros.

All in all, I was quite impressed with our visit - especially as there was no hard sell!

We did have the offer of a last-minute deal at a remarkably low price. Sadly my friend couldn't make that date; otherwise I'd have been on the ship next week!

I had read a number of poor reviews about MSC, but will definitely be looking at booking a cruise out of Southampton.

A small group of us had a similar visit to MSC Opera and, like you, were impressed with the ship, decor, ambiance and the food.

One has to remember though that a ships visit is different from and actual cruise as so many more things come into play, like a large number of broadcasts in many different languages, being aware of the customs of different nationalities and that the food and the way it is served can be very different to our normal expectation, also entertainment can be of a much different pattern.

Before our visit I was sceptical as to whether it was my sort of ship but I and others were very impressed with what we saw and the low prices certainly made it a more interesting cruise line to contemplate. I love the Italian way, speak several languages and, having lived abroad for part of my life, I know about different customs of other nationalities. Many people going on "continental" style ships do not understand this and expect what they get on more familiar lines and are therefore disappointed. I see no reason why, if you are prepared for the ship, you shouldn't have a terrific time. ....Neil

msc opera from southampton

hi, i am just looking at a cruise from southampton in 2012 on the msc opera....i have heard that a bit of a downside with italian ships is that they do broadcast everything in several different languages including the entertainment which can become a little long winded and this has kind of put me off in the past....do you think this would still be the case if it was a cruise out of the uk or would it take into consideration it would be predominently british tourists i dont want this to sound rude but it would be the difference between me booking the trip or not, thanks

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    hi, i am just looking at a cruise from southampton in 2012 on the msc opera....i have heard that a bit of a downside with italian ships is that they do broadcast everything in several different languages including the entertainment which can become a little long winded and this has kind of put me off in the past....do you think this would still be the case if it was a cruise out of the uk or would it take into consideration it would be predominently british tourists i dont want this to sound rude but it would be the difference between me booking the trip or not, thanks
    I'm booked on Opera next month and I am hoping they haven't made too many concessions to the British market because I want the Italian experience.There are plenty of other lines that offer American and British culture - I also like them but like the extra choice.I'm not sure of the passeger mix but the first cruise out of UK this year had 25% Britsh passengers the rest from the Continent and further. They also embark and disembark in Amsterdam this year.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    They did say on the visit that announcements are made in several languages, but the main language was English. I can't remember what the other languages were, but Italian (obviously) and I think the others were French and German.