Dress code questions on Braemar

Can someone just answer a few questions for me please.

On informal nights do you have to wear jacket and tie or is shirt and trousers ok.

In the palms restaurant can you wear jeans, I mean tidy expensive jeans.

Would jeans be worn in the grampian restaurant at any time.

Can shorts be worn at lunch times.

Many thanks

Hi Dress Codes on most cruiselines are less well adhered to than in the past. On Fred Olsen most the male guest will wear a DJ on formal nights but many will just wear a dark suit and tie (in summer while cruising the Med. many more passengers will adopt the more casual style of dress). In the Palms jeans will be OK and many guests including myself will be sporting shorts at lunch.

Thanks very much

Quote QUOTE: View Post

On informal nights do you have to wear jacket and tie or is shirt and trousers ok.

Many thanks
    Good job you asked this question, because our first cruise with Fred is going to be at end of October, on Braemar, and it made me read their brochure more carefully than I have done previously, assuming Fred's dress codes were similar to P&O's. Alan seems to be a regular Fred Olsen cruiser from the way he writes, and I wouldn't argue with him, but let me quote from Fred Olson's 2011/2012 brochure page 167, an excerpt from the paragraph headed 'Clothing' about evening wear......"Generally speaking the style is informal, with gentlemen wearing jacket/ or shirt and tie and ladies smartly dressed. On 'Formal' evenings, gentlemen will prefer to wear 'black tie' with ladies elegantly dressed in cocktail or evening dress." (There are 4 Formal nights on a 14 night cruise). To be honest, with careful reading, it doesn't sound very informal at all, with their informal dress code being similar to P&O's semi-formal code- it is nearer Cunard's dress code if you ask me. Shorts are, of course , O.K. in the daytime. Given the above scenario (with the way it is worded) only you can tell whether your jeans are likely to be suitable or not. It all depends on the depth of colour, style and cut of them, I suppose. Anyway, have a great cruise, Regards, Hugh and Diane.

Many thanks
    Hi Kablpe
    Informal means gentlemen will wear a jacket and/or a tie with shirt and trousers. Jeans can be worn in the Palms at any time and jeans could only be worn in the Grampian at breakfast and lunch. Shorts can be worn only at breakfast or lunch.
    The captain waiter or maitre 'd are strict about dress codes. My husband was turned away from the restaurant because he didn't have a tie or jacket on on informal might.
    Hope this helps.
    Best wishes and have a lovely cruise.

Tiggertom
    shaken, not purred

Images
    Fred's are as traditional as P&O, the dress codes and what is expected of you are printed in the brochure, but in general Formal is DJ or Tux, Semi formal is jacket and tie, and Informal is smart shirt, preferably with tie and trousers.
    Shorts are OK at breakfast, but if you go to the Thistle restaurant at lunchtime long trousers are worn, jeans will not be allowed in the Thistle restaurant at any time, although it does make me wonder why any body would want to wear working trousers on a cruise anyway.
    Braemar is a super ship, she has lots of room on top and good views all round, and the regular passengers are very friendly, I am sure that you will enjoy your cruise.

Fred's are as traditional as P&O, the dress codes and what is expected of you are printed in the brochure, but in general Formal is DJ or Tux, Semi formal is jacket and tie, and Informal is smart shirt, preferably with tie and trousers.
    Shorts are OK at breakfast, but if you go to the Thistle restaurant at lunchtime long trousers are worn, jeans will not be allowed in the Thistle restaurant at any time, although it does make me wonder why any body would want to wear working trousers on a cruise anyway.
    Braemar is a super ship, she has lots of room on top and good views all round, and the regular passengers are very friendly, I am sure that you will enjoy your cruise.
    I have paid up to a 100 for jeans which I would definitely not class as working trousers :-)

I have never sailed on Braemar, but have sailed on Boudicca and Balmoral. The last time on Boudicca was 2 months ago and the last time on Balmoral was 8 months ago. What puzzles me about this comment is where it states cannot wear jeans in the restaurant at lunchtime. Not true on Balmoral or Boudicca - as to the shorts - they mean really short shorts not the cut off type that most older people wear. We have never been stopped going into the formal restaurants at lunchtime either wearing jeans or 'longish' shorts, and neither has anyone else.

Images
    Sorry I was wrong, in my mind I was thinking of the evening when I wrote that statement, I think jeans can probably be worn at lunchtime as they are long, although I personally haven't seen them in the restaurant, like most others I myself tend to change into long trousers at lunchtime, we are on the Balmaral in a few weeks time so I will have a boss round at lunchtime.
    My pal always wore expensive jeans with a sharp crease down the front just like trousers and they looked very good, but I still look upon them as a type of overalls as I always wore them for work 50yrs ago, thats what they were designed for, although I suppose the jeans that have been mentioned by Kablpe will be quite smart, and not the sort that are threadbare with holes cut in them, that type really are a disgracefull mess