Dress code on Cunard QM2

Hello everyone!
    I am quite new to this site. Reason for that - our forthcoming first cruise on board of Queen Mary 2 for the winter holidays period. After reading on their site about the dress code, I was wondering how strict is the formal code, i.e. if ladies are to appear in long gowns only or a nice coctail dress would also do, for example for the Black&White ball, etc. I intend to pack my dresses, which are mainly short cocktail ones and would get long dress for Christams or New Year eve, but I am not sure if I must take a long black one especially, as I have already got a pretty nice black little dress that I would put for the Black&white ball evening, just I hesitate if I would then be turned back from the hall for my open knees in which case I better get a long black gown as well. Many thanks if anyone could give some info or advice!

Don't worry about not having a long gown. You certainly won't be turned away because you are wearng a cocktail dress on a formal evening. The last Cunard cruise we were on very few ladies wore full length ballgowns even on the special ball evenings.

Images
    Cunard passengers certainly do enjoy dressing up, but things might not be quite as formal as you imagine?

QM2 23rd Oct..Time for a quick look around??????

Hi All,

We are travelling to New York arrive at 11am...QM2 sails at 5pm.....On board by 350pm.....Is it still possible to have a quick look in Manahatten????
    Does anyone knw how much a yellow cab from cruise terminal, wld cost..and how long it would take????

How do you spot a fake yellow cab?

Thanks for any advice

Thanks a lot! This helps me to avoid getting a long black dress only for the black and white bal evening Otherwise I look forward to indeed enjoy fully the dressing up and all the rest such cruise offers.

Sorry SeaGirl but forget any idea of returning into Manhatten to do a bit of shopping. You'll have so much on your mind that looking around shops will be the last thing on the list. Are you doing your own transfers ? if so that'll take up some time not to mention clearing the airport etc.

You'll need to build in time to get to Brookyn Cruise Terminal If going under your own steam. I do this voyage quite often and I don't want to alarm you, but not all 'New York cab drivers' know their way to the 'Brooklyn' Cruise Terminal. I suggest you print off directions before you leave the UK ( Google directions to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal)

This may sound unbelivable but only the other week I printed off the directions for friends, on their return they told me the cab driver (even with the directions) took them all around the houses. Thank goodness they had hours to spare.

Make sure before you set off in the cab, he/she speaks reasonably good English and knows where they are going.

Paul

Just noticed that your question refered to, 'returning back into Manhatten' after you have embarked the ship. sorry I doubt you'll have the time.

Last edited by paul, inkpen; 7th October 2011 at 05:52 PM.

new york ..QM2

Thanks for reply Paul.

We are being transfered from JFK by Cunard....Flight arrival 11am.....Have to be onboard by 345pm.....

How far away would you say the Brooklyn bridge is?

What is the best deck to be on at sail away...Do you get a flag?...My daughter says its an important question...Do they have anything for solo travellers, my daughter will be in her club.. Will it be dark at 5pm?....How long until you no longer can see America?

Hpe not too many ?....Thanx for any responses...

Hello SeaGirl, assuming your flight arrives on time you'll have cleared the airport shortly just before midday and you'll be on the coach transfer for the journey to Brookklyn cruise terminal, a journey of about 45 mins. Don't forget to make sure you 'see your luggage' onto the trolleys that are just outside the terminal doors.... don't rely on the coach driver to do it for you even if he offers. The sooner you'r able to embark the ship the sooner you'll be able to have a spot of lunch ( Kings Court) before the sailaway. When you ask how far is the Brooklyn bridge did you mean the 'Verrazano Bridge' ? The Verrazano Bridge is a 'must see/do', the QM sails under this bridge shortly after sailaway and you get the best view (and scare of your life) from decks 12/13 so
    make sure you wrap up well. After the passing under the bridge there is nothing else to see untill you arrive into Southampon.

No I'm afraid Cunard don't hand out flags on these Transatlantics (usually only on those Hamburg or Liverpool trips) however many seasoned cruises bring their own.

By Solo travellers, did you mean you or your daughter ? Yes there is so much going on for anyone travelling solo... just check out the Daily programme each morning ( Coffee meetings and a special Lunch) or contact the Social Hostess who usually takes care of that side of things.

Enjoy your trip, you'll have a wonderfull time just as long as you don't go about looking for faults. Remember in the dinning room if there is anything you require, Just ask !
    The kings court/self service area is a bit of a maze at first, it will take you a day or so to get to know your way around so just bear with it and be patient.

There are no tea making facilities in the cabin , however Room service is FREE 24/7 .. just put the card outside the evening before (before 2am) if you would like early morning tea/coffee etc...... you DONOT need to tip.

There are free soft drinks for your daughter available 24/7 in the Kings Court...also free ice cream.

Dance lessons each day at 12.15..... and you don't need a partner

Have a great time Paul.

NY

Thanks Paul,

Info very helpful....I am hoping we can at least leave the cruise terminal for an hour/or and half tops??

I was suprised no Tea facilities.....nor flags...usually P and O folk!....Does the cruise terminal have shops for sourveniers daughter getting worried.....

When we booked the travel agent made it seem like we were in NY for one night, so a very disapointed 13 year old...Means we will have to come back, at some point.....Yes I was thinking if I wanted to mix with fellow solo adults, on board...is it a mix of ages....Unfortunately on Ventura, I was like a girl...........

Deck 12/13 right side?....

Heard the horror story about the fire and recent rough seas....so feel like real seafarer....eek....Apparently I heard it goes quite close to the Titanic resting place?.....Have folk reported seeing whales and or Dolphins or have they all swam off now?

Thanx.....

Sorry there are no souvenir shops in the cruise terminal and I'm not too sure if there is anything of interest outside of the terminal area. It all looks a bit grubby to me. (maybe someone else could help you there)

If I were you, I'd be ditching that travel agent of yours for not advising you with correct information. Had you known that you had a 'direct transer' to the ship you could have rearranged your flight for the day before.....maybe there is still some time to consider this ? but bear in mind you'd have to find over night accommodation and provide your own transfers.

Good Luck Paul.

You can find a lot more information relating to your QM2 voyage in a copy of the Cunard brochure, available 'free' from your local travel agent or Thomas cook. The back pages are a mine of information and it's well worth a read before you take your trip.